Scotland’s Music, and John Martyn

Have your say....

Scotland’s Music, and John Martyn

Postby Mary G » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:04 am

I hope some forum members have been able to catch this terrific programme. One of the best things that I have seen the BBC do. Here is the link to the site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/tv/. If you missed it on Saturday, it is repeated on Tuesday.

It covers the full spectrum of music, and tonight touched on classical (The Land of the Mountain and the Flood, by Hamish MacCunn – a favourite of mine – wonderful piece), as well as a nod towards recent pop bands to come from the country. The main focus is on traditional music, however, anyone who enjoys good, authentic music will love this series.

Anyway, tonight was about love and loss, and naturally, the peerless John Martyn featured in a good 5-10 minute section of the programme. I have watched and listened to him over the years, and noticed that (as happens with some people who have moved around and lived in different parts of the country), his accent has at times been either quite English, or very Glasgow. But tonight he was broad Campbeltown! (His father is from the town, for those of you who did not know). Did anyone else who saw it hear this 'coming-back-to-my-roots' inflection? I have it recorded on the new hard disc recorder, and so must go back and check, and seek second opinions!
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

BBC site has most of the John M piece

Postby Mary G » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 pm

I have just been checking out the BBC site more carefully, and notice that the bulk (if not all) of the John M contribution is there for all to see and hear. So Campbeltown, I think, listening again. And so moving ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/tv/index.shtml?episode_number=02
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Yes, Mary - excellent programme.

Really enjoy it too. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:23 am

Ive loved and listened to this guy's music for many a long year and never realised there was a Campbeltown connection. Thanks, Mary G, for
the tip-off for Tuesday. I'll definitely be setting the video for that one!
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hugh » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:43 am

....And posted that without noticing the b.b.c. link provided. Gotta say I can only hear a C.N. accent in the last 30 seconds of the clip, even then
only in flashes, but I haven't been home for a few years now so maybe my ear's out of tune. Great to hear his passion anyway, no matter what
accent, so thanks for the link!
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

And now the book

Postby Mary G » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Hugh

Glad you enjoyed it - and got the accent thing too.

Anyway, I have just come across this great book: Some People Are Crazy: The John Martyn Story, by John Neil Munro. It has a lot going for it, not least the author's access to his subject and many close acquaintances, like Danny Thompson. I have not finished it yet, but it is a bit of a tour de force, in my view. A must for fans.

Undoubtedly available from local bookshops, however, you can also read a review here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Some-People-Are-Crazy-Martyn/dp/1846970369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197038274&sr=1-1
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:53 am

hugh wrote:Ive loved and listened to this guy's music for many a long year and never realised there was a Campbeltown connection. Thanks, Mary G, for
the tip-off for Tuesday. I'll definitely be setting the video for that one!

Its funny the things I have learned since the forum but this wasn't one . Les Oman told me about 3 or 4 years ago about this chap. Think he mentioned something about coming from Dalintober etc 8)

Must ask Les to post more on this.

Must admit - I only listened to the BBC clip first time and thought he was steam boats! Only then realised when I scrolled up there was video too. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:08 am

Will look forward to that, Davie, should it come about...I'm fascinated by this. Mary G....I'm off to Waterstones todady so I'll be looking out for
the book or ordering it if it's not in, so again it's " thanks for the info"...cheers!
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hugh » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 am

Only to find out it's not on in England, must be a B.B.C. Scotland production. The book's been ordered though!
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Hugh

Too late for this series (albeit it will be repeated), but if you have cable or satellite TV you can find the BBC transmissions for other parts of the UK, besides where you live. We have ntl/Virgin Media, and can get BBC1 for England, N Ireland and Wales around 860 or so (just below 900 anyway).

Also, that BBC website has lots of good material - some not used on the programme itself - and is worth a look. http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/music/tv/index.shtml

Cheers
Mary
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:36 am

better off with angus martin
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 pm

not a fan then?
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Angus may have written better lyrics, but I don't think his guitar playing was up to much. On the other hand, John would never have made a
decent postman. Just doesn't have the legs for it...
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Hey, I am a fan of both!

Hugh - that was a bit of a low blow, there ... but probably appreciated by Mr McGeachy all the same.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hugh » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:51 am

Sorry :oops:
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc