TV

Have your say....

TV

Postby dgraves » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:17 pm

Anyone heard of Craig Ferguson? I caught his show last night- Late Night Talk Show CBS. Witty! Very entertaining- He's from Glasgow, and has a heavy Scottish accent. He said he was in his forties so he must have some TV/film history.

I usually don't watch talk shows, but just went in to turn off the TV that someone had left on. Wound up watching the whole show.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby DMS Graphics » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:06 pm

Craig Ferguson actually used to be married to a girl from Campbeltown.

Early in his career he went under the name Bing Hitler, wasn't that funny then :?
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby petewick » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:08 pm

Craig Ferguson is from Scotland and started off his career with the stage name of Bing Hitler.
He was incedently married at one time to a girl from Campbeltown.
Petewick :lol:
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ferguson

Postby dgraves » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks, DMS & Petewick- Small world, isn't it? Him having a link to Campbeltown. I'd never heard of him before.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:09 pm

He was a big, fat, red faced, full time bevvy boy...worse than that really.....

Now he is full time sober and slim.....and all the better for it.

A lesson for us all!
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ferguson

Postby dgraves » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 pm

Since I'd never seen him before, all I can say is that he must have vastly improved. He's funny and charismatic.

He did say something disconcerting, though. Said he used to watch Conan O'Brien (Late Night Talk- NBC). I watched him a couple of times because Fox News said he was slated to take over for power house Jay Leno in a few years. I hope Ferguson isn't studying O'Brien's repertoire.

Oh well, maybe O'Brien could grow on you- like mold. :?
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:53 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:He was a big, fat, red faced, full time bevvy boy...worse than that really.....

Now he is full time sober and slim.....and all the better for it.

A lesson for us all!

Speak for yourself!

:oops:
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

"24"

Postby dgraves » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:33 pm

Has anyone seen the TV series "24"? I had a call from a friend today, telling me it is fantastic- CSI, CIA, involved personalities, etc. all balled into one. I think it is in its 3rd season, but I rented the first 4 episodes to try it out. The girl at the checkout counter said it was highly addictive!
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:53 pm

Anyone I know that has seen 24 raves about it and says it is very addictive. I never have, I do feel I am missing something but now feel it has gone too far for me to get into it.........

Fox News eh!!!! fair and balance, fair and balanced!!

Started watching it at the time of the DC sniper in Sept/Oct 2002......was concerned coz I was going there in Nov! they arrested them the day I arrived...

That wee Greta van Sustern is quite a sexy doll in a kind of lawerly/nanny way!!
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby dgraves » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:07 am

Can you rent TV series episodes there? I never have, but I did this time as I was told you really should start at the beginning. Seems each episode is an hour of the day. All of the spying, fighting, story-line type thing happens for that particular hour. At the end of 24 hours, the season is over. (Thats what I'm told, anyhow- let you know, 4th Gen)
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby dgraves » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:31 am

Well, 4th Gen, after that last one you pulled on me on the Off Topic, I don't know if I want to share :lol: .

24 was every bit as reported: "agency" spys, presidential candidate assasination attempts, a plane hijacker & sidekick, kidnapping, terrorists bombings- Four major plots going on at the same time. You don't have time to look away. Might be right up your alley.

Each DVD has 4 episodes on it.
Last edited by dgraves on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:11 pm

24 is one of the best shows on TV ever!
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: 24

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:47 pm

dgraves wrote:Well, 4th Gen, after that last one you pulled on me on the Off Topic, I don't know if I want to share :lol: .

Hoot? who me!!?

I will try to explain all.

I was referring to your earlier quote
"One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is that I have not heard derrogatory remarks belittling other peoples. "

See, we dont even make derogatory remarks about the man every Scottish football (soccer) fan loves to hate......Jimmy Hill.....

English soccer pundits are not the fave folk of us Scots and Jimmy Hill was/is the most outspoken of all.....

Over many years he criticised our players, especially goalies,and just generally belittled and mocked the game North of the border......

During the 1982 World Cup a Scottish player scored a wonder goal against the mighty Brazil, the bold Jimmy described it as a toe poke (NOT a compliment!) the chant by the Scotland fans, already popular,was taken up with even more gusto "WE HATE JIMMY HILL, HE's A POOF, He's a POOOOF" it was chanted to a well known tune but is so well known as the football chant I forget what it originally was..betya Jeanette knows though.......

The He's ALOOF part was just a way of referring to the chant without being rude on the internet! and one that is used in polite company......

So there is the story of Jimmy Hill.......but you know what? I think we all like him really, I certainly do, and the chants and insults were all good natured......He really does know his stuff and is one of the best and most respected pundits on the TV.

And that stoopid big link that I dont know how to rename will show you the great man..........

We LOVE Jimmy Hill...........
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search/image ... ISO-8859-1
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

good natured fun

Postby dgraves » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation, 4th Gen. I grew up with bantering all of my life- in the oil patch. You really can't get any worse than that! You should (or shouldn't !!) hear the joke my husband & son told on the way home today. Of course I had to pretend to get my feathers good and ruffled or it would have spoiled their fun. I repeated it to my daughter in Penn., and she declared it a sure way to clear a room!! But typical of oilfield humor.

My reference to Bubbly's quote had to do with racism. In the US where there are people from literally every country, I've taught my kids that there is no 'color' barrier. There are cultural differences, but everyone is equal. The people from other races call themselves derrogatory names, but that seems to be part of their ways. One of the worst names a white person is called is a "cracker"(uneducated, poor, with lose morals).

Shauna told me a story about being in a car with law students from the International group. She is such good friends with these students that they forget what they are saying in front of her. There were 2 Indians (from India) 1 Dominican Republican (6'7" basketball player who is black) and one guy from Mexico. The basketball player had the CD player blaring out some song about (blankety blank) crackers. Shauna thought it hillarious, so she said, "Hey, I just realized I'm the only cracker in this car". They turned around bug-eyed at her. (Shauna looks like Miss Texas- trim, tall, blonde, light eyed) By that time Shauna was crying she was laughing so hard! She has tried hard to tell them that calling themselves by ugly names only perpetuates a militant, inferiority complex.

AND you really should check out '24'!! It is a great show. You'd like it for sure. :D
Last edited by dgraves on Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
dgraves
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:56 am

aye the banter the banter! the banter is great :lol:

But what is the oil patch? not a term we recognise, or maybe I'm just stoopid :roll:

I would like to think there is practically NO racism in Kintyre or the rural west coast of Scotland in general.

Of course there are not many who look any different than most of us. I think only 1% of people in all of Scotland listed themselves as something other than white european (think that is the correct census term), around here far less............but in my experience, every single person from a different background/culture or who looks in any way different is fully accepted as part of the community........ no problems at all...........maybe I am just a naive farm boy but that is the way it is with me and everyone I know........and the way it should be everywhere...................... 8)

A "cracker" here would be a great compliment....if Davie P and I were walking down The Longrow and we saw a real good looking lassie walking up the opposite pavement, Davie would say "look at her 4th Gen, she is a real CRACKER" I had never heard your meaning of that word.

Anyway, better get some kind of TV/Film reference in here or Davie and BJ will be going mental!
Watched Windtalkers last night. Enjoyed it fine, maybe just a bit much gory combat stuff...........was real sorry when Nick Cage died at the end..bad bad lot them Japs...... :wink:
One very profound moment when the redneck Marine who hated Injuns but now realised the error of his ways......said that...something like it anyway......"50 years ago we were shooting and exterminating indians for fun, maybe in 50 years time we will be sitting round the table with the Nips and have found somebody new to kick their ass" my goodness we certainly did........

So yer daughter's a Miss Texas lookalike eh :wink: :oops:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc