Harry Potter Book - This thread MAY include SPOILERS!!!!

Have your say....

Harry Potter Book - This thread MAY include SPOILERS!!!!

Postby jdcarra » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:40 pm

J K Rowling. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Must have been an interesting series of books. My 11 year old grandaughter received hers yesterday and by this morning had completed reading the book. Do kids sleep these day's :lol: ?

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:18 pm

i've never "got" the harry potter thing, i've been a great tolkien fan since childhood and over the years read all the borrowers and narnia books to my kids, but harry potter? i read the first two, i've seen the films, but no, can't say it impresses me at all, still i was an avid reader of the series of stephan donaldson books(think that was his name?) "white gold wielder" being one, and nobody ever made multi million pound movies out of them.

No.4 will probably give you the correct name, it slips my mind just now and i don't do google
general jack o'niell

Postby bill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:57 pm

Wilbur Smith/John Grisham/James Patterson/John Connolly, wo'nt miss any of theirs,though Grisham's last few have been pretty poor.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:11 pm

every one i've read was about a lawyer, then the films started and they were garbage, not as bad as the worst film of a book i've seen, mine is "dogs of war" a good read as a book but as a film, complete tripe, thats if tripe is worse than mince.

if you've read a book and think it'll make a good film, then the film appears, look to see if the director and screen writers are american, if thats the case don't bother going to see the film, rest assured it will bare little resemblance to the book and will disappoint.

books i'd like to see as films? the sven hassell series, ok so they are about german soldiers in WW2 but they are filled with great characters, there was one film made of one of his books but it was rubbish, being made in a "dirty dozen" genre and completely missing the point of the books. when i used to read them back in the seventies and eighties i would read them as if watching the film, i had all the characters being played by actors of the day, can't remember who i had in the roles or even the namesof the characters, but they would have made decent movies if done right.

i'm sure harry potter fans feel the same, i've never been convinced by the central characters in the films, they might have been good choices for the first film but i don't think they took the chance of ending up making seven into account when they were chosen, not for me anyway, but then i don't think the books are better than a poor average and thats from a man who reads an average of 100 books a year, tho not so much since they moved the library, i'm boycotting it in protest, have never been inside the new one and don't plan to.
general jack o'niell

Postby bill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:22 pm

Usually you find the book is far better than the film, for your imagination knows no bounds when reading. One of the films I found to be far superior to the book was Mystic River ,directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn/Robert DeNiro and Tim Robbins.I actually saw the film before reading the book ,so wether that had anything to do with it I do'nt know
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:07 pm

i haven't got time to read, i'm busy practising my bass, brother No.3 says i have to play bass with badger if the thing ever happens so i better be ready!!!! he has certain standards he likes to maintain
general jack o'niell

Postby Sweltered » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:53 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:i've never "got" the harry potter thing, i've been a great tolkien fan since childhood and over the years read all the borrowers and narnia books to my kids, but harry potter? i read the first two, i've seen the films, but no, can't say it impresses me at all, still i was an avid reader of the series of stephan donaldson books(think that was his name?) "white gold wielder" being one, and nobody ever made multi million pound movies out of them.

No.4 will probably give you the correct name, it slips my mind just now and i don't do google

Yup Stephen Donaldson
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Harry Potter

Postby SBpete » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:02 pm

I got mine on Saturday morning, and I finished it this afternoon (should add I'm 28 years old). It was brilliant :D
SBpete
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby general jack o'niell » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:23 pm

thought i had the name right, just looked wrong when i wrote it down, tell us who died, save us the bother of reading the thing, not that i would
general jack o'niell

Postby Sweltered » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:25 pm

This thread has been spoiled :shock:
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:09 pm

So whats all the fuss about??

Who does what to who??
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:25 pm

sometimes you get more with honey than you do with vineger

me? i say throw the vineger in the beggers eyes, steal his chips and give him a kick for good measures

only if he refuses to tell you how the book ends, of course!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby big tony » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:20 pm

the beginning of the end, it all started with a simple what happens next question
big tony
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Annie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:50 am

I must admit I was never impressed with the stupid Harry Potter books. But then I am not 10 years old either. J. K. Rowling has nothing on the Chronicles of Narnia nor the Borrowers neither!!!
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Ah wunner hoot this "Chroncles of Ninja is yur writin aboot?

As for yir neeburs wantin yir mower an maybe a drap o sugar noo an again, dizni shoorly mean yiv tae tell uvvriboady ah aboot it in a book.

Borrowers is it yi sey?
Pete Reek

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc