Best Live Bands

Have your say....

Postby DOUBLE A » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Walt Jabsco wrote:Double A, you know me too well. Upstairs cos wife was with me. That and the fact a certain birthday happens this year means I will soon be too old to pogo. Not like you young flough's.

Certainly a great view from there but you are out of the atmosphere a wee bit cos we all agreed that although a great gig, Carling Academy, as you know was superb. I think you nailed it when we were at the Fingers, different city , different vibe. More salt and sauce than salt and vinegar!

U goin on St Pats?

Tickets arrived yesterday, going with boy from work but no doubt will see half the toon their again :lol: will be hard to top last year at the barras though.
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hadrians hiring! » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:17 am

Walt + Double A:

Did either of youse catch 3 men + black when they were on the go??????????????

I missed the chance and assume they would have been good.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Hadrians hiring!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Walt Jabsco » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 am

HH did not catch them but would have loved to have seen them.

I did suggest them to a MOKFEST but to no avail.

The Liquid rooms was expensive for drink and the Grassmarket was full of Rugger types cos Scotland had played Australia that day.
Walt Jabsco
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Tosh » Sun May 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Saw Roger Waters twice last week, that is some show!
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby The Elusive Mr D. » Thu May 24, 2007 11:01 am

Can't get to many gigs these days, I not allowed to mortgage my rented house for the ticket prices, but I did manage to see Paul Simon last year at S.E.C.C. Excellent concert, he connected with the audience right away and played for over two hours, old songs and new. Almost everyone in the hall left with a smile on their face, except for a couple who sat in front of us who arrived late, sat in stony silence without applauding all night then left after the first( of six) encores.
It was a much better experience than my previous foray to the S.E.C.C. for Bob Dylan which was absolute garbage. He stood on stage like a very old tailors dummy, mumbled incomprehensibly into the microphone and projected nothing but disdain for his audience. No doubt his followers will say that's what you have to expect from a "genius" like him, but I wasn't impressed and haven't listened to a Dylan album since! And most of the people leaving the hall that night seemed to be of the same opinion.
The Elusive Mr D.
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu May 24, 2007 12:13 pm

hence the reason i didn't go to see him last month, i'd have been arrested for going up and giving him a good slap, that and he breaks the old rule that the writer always knows the best way to interprete their work. everybody does dylan better than dylan

best gig ever? Hostage, Carradale village hall, march 11th 1978, it was so good i nearly sh!t myself, the lights blew up, the PA stack blew up, the bass player quit theday before due to stage fright, a drunk kept asking for "please stay" and a 45 seater bus arrived from the toon with nearly 100 people in it. were you in the boot?

or even hostage live outside on the new quay, the day we all got arrested, allegedly(for five minutes) because a traffic warden said i was singing "over the wall, over the wall, over the f@ckin wall" thats a direct quote from his notebook which he produced for the black maria that arrived after he radioed for assistance. I think i was about 15.

seriously, of all the posts so far the only two i'd have liked to see were the springsteen ones and the rollers, tho if your lucky enough to be at the local wedding which i think is this week, enjoy the wigwam bamz, i think they are brilliant, as were the proclaimers in the vic, best live band i've seen in years.

best i've ever seen? tough one, THE JAM at Irvine Magnum or Glasgow Apollo, brilliant!!!! likewise THIN LIZZY and YES!!!! STATUS QUO, Joe Jackson and his band, tight as all buggery.

the worst? easy, DENNY LAINE at Loch Lomond, you know what i'm talking about?
general jack o'niell

Best Live Band

Postby Frosty » Sun May 27, 2007 9:19 am

Queen and Paul Rodgers at Sheffield Hallam Arena , The Return Of The Champions Concert , was the best recent concert.
But I think the Pink Floyd show 1988 in Manchester , you should remember that one Mr D ( especially the pre -concert fish and chips beside a lovely swimming pool served by three lovely females while you relaxed with a beverage or two , was certainly up there.
The smaller venues can also turn into a great concert , Robert Plant at Sheffield Octagon was brilliant , but the best in a smaller venue has to be Rodger Taylor at the Leadmill in sheffield with two drum kits on such a small stage '' Radio Ga Ga '' hit you hard in the chest.
cheers
fROSTY.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun May 27, 2007 1:31 pm

smaller venues are usually much better
the secc is a big cowshed
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jimmy » Sun May 27, 2007 7:43 pm

The Pixies Barrowlands 1990 oh yes!
jimmy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed May 30, 2007 9:19 pm

wigwambamz in the vic

those boys know how to put on a show!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby Hadrians hiring! » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:42 pm

Walt Jabsco wrote:Image

Mike Peters mid song in the Liquid Rooms Edinburgh 27/11/06. 100% genuine person and a fantastic performer.
Would love to see the Alarm at the festival.

The Alarm were , and are indeed so much more than 68 guns, still producing great music and energy on stage

further to Mike getting better, just heard interview on Radio 5 re a trek to Everest he is currently doing with other cancer survivors plus musicians, slim jim phantom, glenn tilbrook to name 2- doing acoustic set at base camp would you believe!
check out ''lovehopestrentgh.co.uk''
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Hadrians hiring!
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DOUBLE A » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 am

Went to see The Twang at the Barras on tuesday, played a cracking set, aw the youngsters were doon the front going mad ( i wiz at the back politely applauding ) :wink:

Also seen the Fratellis a couple of weeks ago, they were very good but the venue SECC was crap :(
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc