Licorice Root (Like chewing string),
Puff Candy,
Penny Bubbly,
Mojos,
Glees,
Sweet Tobacco,
Spangles,
Flying Saucers,
Saturday morning at Stockport Baths, a glass of hot Vimto and a McOwans Toffee Bar. Happy days!
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Paying the dentists' mortgage.

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:56 am

To this day I love Flying Saucers, YUM.
Black Jacks and Fruit Salads I remember buying from the NAAFI shop, two for one old ha'penny. The sweet tobbacco was very sticky I think ?
Spangles were wonderful.
I remember getting a "smokers set" as a present, it was a box with sweet cigarettes, a chocolate pipe, chocolate cigars etc, the anti-smoking Nazi brigade would have forty thousand fits if that was on sale now.
Sherbet Fountains and that bag of sherbet with a bit of toffee on the end of a stick, just remembered, Sherbet Dabs.
Jamboree Bags.
Pez
Those wee tiny black things that came in a metal box, can't remember their name.
Bar Six, I only remember ever seeing that sold at railway stations from vending machines.
Vending machines, I am sure there used to be a milk vending machine on the front at Lochgilphead, the milk from those cartons always tasted better than any other milk.

Golden Cup R.I.P.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:35 pm

The tiny black things were "Imps"! I'd forgotten them. Worth it just for the tin.

Milk machines were on most seaside town proms. I read it was because of over production of milk, hence Milk Bars as well.

Crisps were either plain or cheese and onion. None of this "red onion and champagne jus with a mild curry and chocolate coating" crap you get today.
There were only Smiths for years, then Golden Wonder arrived with the punch line "Hear That Taste?".
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 pm

I don't recall if the crisps were Smiths or Golden Wonder but I do remember running down to Blacks' for packets of crisps and some sweets at playtime and dinner time. Wonderful happy days.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:43 am

I remember the very first time I had a crisp that wasn't Ready Salted, Cheese & Onion or Salt & Vinegar, it was on some anonymouse train station, Worcestershire Sauce flavour, it was bloody fantastic as I am a huge fan of Worcestershire sauce. I buy it in bulk !
Liquorice boot laces, Victory V (my first OD). I remember when Tootie Fruties came out and I was given three, wrapped in a tissue to eat at playtime. The flat Quality Street toffees that claimed at least three of my teeth.
Long straw like things that contained some sort of dust that tingled on your tongue.
Sugar mice with string tails. I saw some of those around ten years ago without tails. I was told that they wouldn't put the string on in case a brat choked on it and the parents sued, very sad. The sugar mice were horrible anyway.
Those sweet yellow banana things, they still make those.
I think it was from Blacks that I got a wee square thing in a wax paper wrapper. I think they could be put into water to make a drink, not too sure, that memory has faded.
My mate raves on about something called Space Dust, I don't remember that as a sweet, as a teen I put something called Space Dust on my tongue....oh wow, far out man, double wow !!!!
Pink sweet shrimps.
Little things shaped like milk bottles, white coloured.
FAB ice lollies.
My mum's mother was addicted to sugared almonds, horrible things with a heart as hard as the old cow herself.

Thanks for this, Tarmmaker, I've had some great memories come back, thinking of old sweets.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:54 am

A bit confused by this being in the Film, TV and aMusic section.

Sweeties? The older generations seemed to devour vast quantities of boiled sugar sweets - soor plooms, barleysugar, butterscotch, pineapple chunks, a lime sweetie with a sort of chocolate filling, mint humbugs and one which seemed to be flavoured with clove, cinnamon and ginger. Think there was a liquorice-black currant sweetie as well. Recall a shop (Longrow?) with rows of big jars full of jewel-coloured confections.

There was a fondness for home-made tablet and anyone travelling to Auld Reekie had to bring back a box of Edinburgh rock. I was never find of those coconut-covered bars, though.

When I was young, there seemed to be an invasion of more manufactured sweets - refreshers, love hearts, drumstick, sherbet fountain, flying saucers, fruit salads and so on.

Oh - just remembered sugar mice!

But the big beast for creating many a cavity in a Scottish youngster's tooth was McCowan's Highland Toffee. Now made in England.

Golden Wonder were regarded as the Scottish crisp - even their English factory was in Corby! Set up by an Edinburgh baker, William Alexander, the crisis were named after a Scottish potato variety from Arbroath. they were the first to make a flavoured crisp in the UK with cheese and onion. Mr Tayto had already been making cheese and onion crisps in Ireland for about 10 years. Smiths responded with their own new flavour - salt and vinegar - to challenge Golden Wonder.

Golden Wonder is now owned by Tayto Northern Ireland which is not the same company as Tayto Ireland which did the original cheese and onion crisp.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby tarmmaker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Oh Shona, a few of us oldies were having a bit of fun remembering the old days, when you had to politisize Crisps. Golden Wonder were the Scottish crisp! McOwans toffee is now made in England! SO WHAT! And I think you'll find that Edinburgh Rock and every other rock with a town written through is made in Blackpool, just the label is changed.
Still, it was fun while it lasted.
The thread started with childrens TV, then just expanded a bit.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Ha-ha! Never meant to 'politicise' sweeties and crisps.

Edinburgh rock is totally different from lettered rock - it's comes pastel shades (looks a bit like school chalk) and is soft and crumbly.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Leaving behind all the lovely memories of sweets gone by, does anyone remember one of my favourite chocolate boxes, Terry`s Neapolitans? For many years these were a luxury item for me, couldn't afford them too often, NOW, when I really want to buy them, they`re no longer made, it`s just not fair! Where most children these days get chocolate selection boxes in their Christmas stockings, me and my siblings got Eubanks liquorice selection boxes, no wonder we didn`t get constipated! And liquorice root was lovely to start with, till it went all stringy.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:16 pm

I loved root liquorice, it kept your teeth clean, I wish I had some teeth left to chew it with. I do remember Neoploitans and yes, they were a luxury.
Callard & Bowsers Butterscotch, white wrapper with a thistle on. Hard as a rock but ever so tasty.
My gran (the decent one) lived in Suffolk so day trips to Great Yarmouth were frequent, I stood fascinated outside the rock shop watching the blokes work the rock, the shop was up a side street and always had a good crowd outside.
There was always a bag of sweets, sherbet lemons I think, in the glove compartment of the car and chocolate éclairs that had melted into a sticky goo.
Mint Imperials.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:45 am

Shona wrote:Edinburgh rock is totally different from lettered rock - it's comes pastel shades (looks a bit like school chalk) and is soft and crumbly.

Nearest thing to Edinburgh Rock in consistency is After Dinner Mints. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:10 am

Treats. There was Peanut Treats and I'm sure they came in a yellow bag, Toffee Treats and one other variety which won't come to me.
Opal Fruits....made to make your mouth water.
Horlicks tablets, the light ones and the dark ones.
Last edited by Martin on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Think the one you're looking for is All Chocolate Treets. :D
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Those are the ones, a different spelling as well. Thanks for that.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 am

For some reason they changed the name of them to "Minstrels" in later years. :?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc