Are you sitting comfortably ?

Have your say....

Re: Are you sitting comfortably ?

Postby numberplease » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I think I read somewhere that The Army Game is one of those unfortunate programmes that were wiped, so can`t be shown again.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby tarmmaker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:44 pm

I also liked the early soaps. Emergency Ward 10, Compact, the Newcomers, White Horse Inn, Adam Adamant.

So,THAT'S why there is so much inconsequential crap in my brain. That's all I watched!!!!
Whatever gets you thru the night. J Lennon.
tarmmaker
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 am

Moving away from TV for a moment. I think this was called Mime And Movement.

Standing in a school hall in our underwear, a plummy female voice coming over the radio....

Now children, I want you all to crouch down, as far as you can go and tuck your arms into you as tight as possible. (Music playing) Now slowly start to stand up, very slowly and also very slowly let your arms come away from your body as you stand up, slowly, you are all little seedlings coming out of the earth for the first time....

Oh dear God !
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Martin wrote:Moving away from TV for a moment. I think this was called Mime And Movement.

Standing in a school hall in our underwear, a plummy female voice coming over the radio....

Now children, I want you all to crouch down, as far as you can go and tuck your arms into you as tight as possible. (Music playing) Now slowly start to stand up, very slowly and also very slowly let your arms come away from your body as you stand up, slowly, you are all little seedlings coming out of the earth for the first time....

Oh dear God !

That was called "Music and Movement". I well remember we had to do that in the hall in Dalintober School. It was just as you describe. The other radio programme that we used to get was "Singing Together" with William Appleby, who took us through songs that were in a booklet that was provided in conjunction with the programme, and we all had to sing along or suffer the consequences.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Ha! Yes, Music & Movement, I knew it was something along those lines. I don't think I remember it from Dalintober but certainly from my first school.
A little bit from Wikipedia; "The BBC ran a Schools Music Department from the 1940s to the 1970s and broadcast the radio programme Music and Movement twice weekly: it was much used in the British primary education system. It was for a long time introduced by Ann Driver, consisted of various descriptive and dramatic exercises to music, and is remembered by pupils of the era with sentiments ranging from affection to horror."
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Martin wrote: is remembered by pupils of the era with sentiments ranging from affection to horror."

:lol:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 pm

That is very true, I have mixed emotions.
Whenever I think about it now I hear Joyce Grenfell saying, "George, don't do that".
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Now there WAS a brilliantly funny lady!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:54 am

She was wonderful. Somewhere, in a box, I have an LP of hers entitled "George, Don't Do That", it has all her best bits on it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clOdyzP9fcw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOqQxSbJbrA[/youtube]
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Her monologues were very popular on Two Way Family Favourites. I could actually picture George and the rest of the class, she was so good at putting things over.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Martin wrote:Ha! Yes, Music & Movement, I knew it was something along those lines. I don't think I remember it from Dalintober but certainly from my first school.
A little bit from Wikipedia; "The BBC ran a Schools Music Department from the 1940s to the 1970s and broadcast the radio programme Music and Movement twice weekly: it was much used in the British primary education system. It was for a long time introduced by Ann Driver, consisted of various descriptive and dramatic exercises to music, and is remembered by pupils of the era with sentiments ranging from affection to horror."

"I want to be near you, you're the one the one for me..............."
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc