Saving Mr. Banks

Have your say....

Saving Mr. Banks

Postby Martin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 pm

What a wonderful film. Mary Poppins was the first film I saw at a cinema and remains my second all time favourite, so it was nice to watch bits of it taking shape (with a wee bit of licence) and finding out about some of the history surrounding it. I'm not really a lover of Tom Hanks but thought he did a wonderful job as Walt Disney as did that Thompson bird as P.L. Travers.
I'll highly recommended having a look at this if you haven't already done so.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:08 pm

I haven't seen that yet Martin but I have just watched a lovely wee film on TV, The Terminal where Tom Hanks put in a wonderful , poignant, Capra-type performance as an Eastern European visiting America. Just made me think that with all the hate recently towards them, here was a lovely decent character that made you wonder where all this fear comes from.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Had a few dvd's to watch ,Saving Mr. Banks was one of them.I was not expecting to enjoy it, as I never liked Mary Poppins.
I must say though it was ok.I would say the making of the film is in having Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson in the lead roles.
Martin you say there was "a wee bit of licence",if you follow the link you will see that actually there is very little in the film that is factual.Travers had already signed over the rights to Disney before she even travelled to L.A.,she infact had very little personal contact with Walt Disney.

http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/10/savin ... ins-facts/

One of the other dvd's was Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips.Once again very loosely based on the true story of the hijacked American container ship "Maersk Alabama".Tom Hanks once again puts in a commanding performance,though in my opinion he was outshone by newcomer Barkhad Abdi, the leader of the pirates.

I also had a copy of Gravity,another film I did not have high expectations off.With Sandra Bullock being alone onscreen for near on 90% of the film, plus I am not too keen on science fiction.I was prepared for boredom. Ended up actually being pleasantly surprised, though you do have to suspend all traces of belief to enjoy .
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:00 am

Well, I wasn't planning on watching this film but after the recommendations I'm going to have to!!! :D
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 pm

bill wrote:.Tom Hanks once again puts in a commanding performance,though in my opinion he was outshone by newcomer Barkhad Abdi, the leader of the pirates.

Today's Oscar nominations included,Best Supporting Actor Nomination............Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips. 8)
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc