War Horse

Have your say....

War Horse

Postby Martin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 am

Has anyone seen it yet ? I watched it last week and it quite captured me. Some nice shots of Dartmoor, second only in beauty to certain parts of Scotland in my opinion.
I reckon it's well worth a look.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: War Horse

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

We're taking a year group at school to see it Martin. Me, I don't see how it can possibly top the stage production.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 am

Have you read the book ?
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes Martin, it is a class favourite
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm with you regarding the live stage show GG. I've seen it twice and it's one of the most powerful pieces of theatre you'll ever experience. And you'd swear the horses were real! I just hope the film doesn't kill off the stage production.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:51 pm

I am totally with you there, it was truly an epic theatrical experience. I have to say in honesty though that when I first set eyes on the structures and could see the puppeteers, I really thought I wouldn't see them as real but after only a few moments, it was absolutely stunning and they were totally, totally real. I was also amazed at the emotions the production stirred in me - not just the strength and grief of the mother sending her son to war or youth facing terrible adversity or even that you felt for the German officer (death is a great leveller) but I was also transfixed by Joey's journey and that surprised me.
I cannot see that the 'magic' of the play (with the 'nearness' of the action and the 'bullet' scene, etc.) can be transferred to the big screen - I do realise they are two very different beasts but I just believe Spielberg has created something that will fall short of the merits of its past life.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:57 pm

I shall ask someone to keep a sly eye open for the book in the charity shops, I'm looking forward to reading it.
It's very hard for me to imagine a stage production of this, or anything else come to that, as I just don't go to theatres or anywhere else where I can't have a fag.
I also find it difficult to imagine how Dartmoor would be portrayed on stage, something so big, wild and beautiful just won't fit in a theatre.
I spent 13 years down there (not in the jail) and Dartmoor was the one saving grace of the south west of England. I would sit on a hill and take a photo, sit for an hour and then take another and it always looked different.
I'm waffling again, I'll shut up.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Not sure if you are in the Wee Toon or not Martin but Tesco have the book on the shelves today at a very reasonable price.
I have spoken to a few people who have watched the film and it seems to exceed all expectations.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Martin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 am

Thanks Ags, but I only buy books from charity shops. We have a decent dedicated Oxfam bookshop here and while I do not care for any charity that deals with overseas aid, the wee shop is an Aladdin's Cave. It has books from the year dot right up to recent releases, and at a decent price.
Apart from that I don't do Tesco !
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:27 pm

No worries Martin, hope you find it soon. I'd like to read it before I see the film! You possibly have more chance of finding it in your Aladdin's Cave than I have of finding it in my daughters room but I know it's in there somewhere :shock: :D
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Ags wrote:You possibly have more chance of finding it in your Aladdin's Cave than I have of finding it in my daughters room but I know it's in there somewhere :shock: :D

:lol: I know that feeling!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc