Lost Christmas

Have your say....

Lost Christmas

Postby Martin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Did anybody watch this ? I wasn't going to as I'm not keen on Izzard, but what a great thing it was. I was captivated by it, reminds me of the days when quality dramas were made for kids and adults alike. It was a perfect Christmas thing, maybe should have been shown on Christmas Eve. If that's the only thing I like over Christmas, then that's fine by me, it's one more thing than usual.
(Disclaimer, in case the powers that be are tracking me. I do not watch or record anything while it's being broadcast, hence no TV Tax.)
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Lost Christmas

Postby bill » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Martin wrote:(Disclaimer, in case the powers that be are tracking me. I do not watch or record anything while it's being broadcast, hence no TV Tax.)

Do you mean TV license ?? If so the very fact that you have a TV that is capable of receiving programmes requires you to have a TV license.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 am

You are not required to pay the TV Tax if you do not watch or record anything as it is being broadcast. I do not watch or record anything as it is being broadcast so have chosen not to be robbed of all that money each year. This is perfectly legal. When a law is made (and it will be) that you need to pay the TV Tax for watching things on I-Player etc, I will quite happily not bother at all.
I've saved myself a whole load of money this year by opting out of another unfair system as well - Water Rates. I didn't see why I (single person, living alone) should be paying the same amount as the family of nine inbred chavs around the corner, so I got a meter installed. Instead of £40 per month it's now only £15.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm

bill wrote:.......... the very fact that you have a TV that is capable of receiving programmes...........

I think that's an assumption, Bill. I have two TV sets and neither one is capable of receiving signals, yet I am able to, and do, view content on them. This is legal although a cursory glance of the wording in the TV Licensing bumf gives the impression that it is not. I suspect that is the intention.

I've with you on this one, Martin.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Had a look at the TV licensing page and Martin seems to be in the right.

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

Watching TV on the internet
"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands."

Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+
"You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box."

Mobile phones
"A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about."
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm

None of the above apply to me :D
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I know I`m just an ignorant, non-technical female, but how do you record something if not at the time its being broadcast?
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:02 pm

If you watch or record it on Catch Up or I-Player etc after the original broadcast. I believe Sky does the same sort of thing. There's always the internet anyway.

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/

http://www.channel5.com/demand5

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od/

Then of course there's always You Tube, I've recently seen some great old Play For Today stuff on there.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby numberplease » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks Martin, I was just puzzled, that`s all, but as I`m still ignorant and non-technical, think I`ll stick to what I`ve always done. I get a free license in a few years anyway, if I haven`t popped me clogs by then!
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Crowth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Number, there's also DVD's, Video tapes, etc. What you're watching doesn't even have to have been broadcast. The powers that be are quite happy to let Joe Public continue to believe he needs a license simply to own a TV set. He does not.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc