Columbo

Have your say....

Columbo

Postby Govangirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Just one more thing . . . RIP Peter Falk, aka Columbo, the humble detective. As one of the most successful detective series in the world, it didn't follow any of the conventions of other detective programmes in that you knew the killer from the start, Columbo only appeared halfway through and there was no sex or violence.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Columbo

Postby Lachlan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I used to love watching Columbo. Peter Falk was one of my favourite actors (I first saw him in Anzio).

As you say, you knew whodunnit from the start. The magic was the way that the guilty party always thought him or herself miles superior to Columbo in intellect and were totally bemused by his shambling presence and patronised him relentlessly. He would ask questions which they would answer easily and with a smile. He would go away and come back later to ask something more, which was again parried and explained away with ease. His popping up every now and again to ask something else apparently trivial would begin to irritate the guity person, but believing it to be the last question which could be asked and the matter closed, they would again show strained politeness, while marvelling at their own cleverness.

Then Bang !!! Columbo would appear once more, recollect something said or noticed, apparently trivial then spring it on them and they're trapped !! :D The guilty party usually went off with the police in a state of confusion of how they got outwitted by such a flatfoot.

The joy was wondering how Columbo was going to catch them. Did they ever show his wife in any episode ?

I must admit, a series I find equally compulsive because it features someone less than the perfect TV cop is Monk. with Tony Shalhoub.

Have you seen it ?
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Lachlan wrote: Did they ever show his wife in any episode ?

No, never

Lachlan wrote:I must admit, a series I find equally compulsive . . .

Was that a play on words there?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lachlan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 am

Afraid not ! :D
Lachlan
Happy Camper