Traditional Scottish Songs & Stories etc.

Have your say....

Traditional Scottish Songs & Stories etc.

Postby kirk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:33 pm

kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Traditional Scottish Songs & Stories etc.

Postby Ags » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks for highlighting this site Kirk. I had been going to do the same myself when I found a few minutes to post but you beat me to it.
Emdee very kindly brought it to my attention just before my mother did a few weeks ago :)
Anybody interested in "Road to Drumleman" written by Willie Mitchell can hear this sung by the man himself by clicking on this link and searching "Willie Mitchell", I think, off the top of my head, there are 40 or 50 recordings of Grampa and family, his pals The McShannons.
I look forward to hearing more of the old tunes over the Christmas holidays when I have a wee bit more time.
Last edited by Ags on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 pm

This is indeed a wonderful repository of local song and folklore produced by the School of Scottish Studies. My own initial particular interest in this resource was in the fact that there are 40+ recordings of my grandfather John MacShannon (1893-1968) and his brother Alex, and then I discovered Ags' grandfather Willie Mitchell and family were also there. There is much material by way of local songs on this site that are unpublished, and probably unavailable anywhere else, and also some First World War songs. Quite apart from the songs, there is a great deal of discussion of social and family history and of a way of life that is now gone, and a lot of humour and banter. It also sounds as if a good dram was shared during many of the recordings. This really is a musical treasure chest of Kintyre cultural history. :D
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kirk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

With regard to the MacShannon musical heritage, Pete at Southend has made some great recordings of traditional Scottish songs which were available on CD . Ask at the Muneroy Store .
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Forum on Films, Music, TV, Books etc