Champions League Place

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Champions League Place

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 pm

So season after next we will be down to one Champions Leage place. Any thoughts?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Champions League Place

Postby easypeasy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 pm

The place in the Champions League the season after next will require 3 qualifying games to guarantee a place in the group stages. This appears to be a major problem for Rangers and Celtic and will greatly affect their earning power and ability to sign top class players. However it might help to address the problem Rangers and Celtic have in playing in such a low income league with such a large fan base. Scotland is not the only country with only two well supported clubs and UEFA may be forced to accept Rangers and Celtic playing in a league outside Scotland.
easypeasy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby sentrano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 pm

The Champions League is a joke anyway. Clubs like the Old Firm only want to get to the group stages for the money and have no intention of competing for the trophy. The bigger nations get 4 places so get the money easier making their own leagues less important o win, Man Utd and Chelsea are the only teams who want to win that league. The Champions league is as dull as any domestic league, we know its going to be one of four teams who will win it (Barca, Real, Chelsea or Man utd) The setup is terrible also that the team that 3rd place in the group stages get into the EUFA cup, it makes the group stages less competitive too. A total revamp is needed.
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

This'll not be the view of Rangers or Celtic fans but I'm happy it's been lost. Anything that potentially restricts the finances of Rangers and/or Celtic is a good thing in my eyes.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bakbjerg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:59 pm

I wish it could go back to the times where it was only the league winners from each country that played a true cup, and a simular for cup winners. Every match was important, and smaller teams/countries could sometimes make an impression :!:
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:45 pm

sentrano wrote:The Champions League is a joke anyway. Clubs like the Old Firm only want to get to the group stages for the money and have no intention of competing for the trophy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sentrano wrote: Man Utd and Chelsea are the only teams who want to win that league.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious...funniest thing I have read on here since a certain past member's contributions were curtailed.

There would have been a lot more smilies but the maximum number allowed is 20.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby sentrano » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Glad I can make u laugh Bill! :? ....Im here all week!
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby paulmcw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Hume wrote:This'll not be the view of Rangers or Celtic fans but I'm happy it's been lost. Anything that potentially restricts the finances of Rangers and/or Celtic is a good thing in my eyes.

Why???

You sound jealous, mind the old firm as a product, offer far more value for money than anyother club in scotland. They invest far more in the supporters home and abroad and quite corretly reap the finacial rewards. This is something any club can do. The old firm (any club from Scotland) not in the Champs league will be terrible as it will result in scotland being the forgotten nation of football.

Maybe the smaller clubs should work harder with youth to bridge the gap and stop using the old firm as an excuse for everything. This accecetptance for mediocre crap (particularly from the aberdeen fans, who are still living on past glories) and demand more from your team and them who run it for success.

I sometimes notice this attiude at scotland games.I hate when i hear "but we're only a small country" !! B###shit!
:x
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Hume » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

paulmcw wrote:
Why???

in short, because it will make the league more competitive. Not better, but more competitive. Ideally I'd like to see it get better and more competitive simultaneously but that's not going to happen.

Fans, of all clubs, are sick of the same old stuff.

paulmcw wrote:
You sound jealous, mind the old firm as a product, offer far more value for money than anyother club in scotland. They invest far more in the supporters home and abroad and quite corretly reap the finacial rewards. This is something any club can do. The old firm (any club from Scotland) not in the Champs league will be terrible as it will result in scotland being the forgotten nation of football.

If wanting to see my own team compete against better teams and at a higher level is jealousy then I suppose I am. That is not the reason for my view though, as I said I would prefer a more competetive league first and foremost.

I agree 100% that those who invest deserve more success. It's just not economically viable for anyone else to invest at the level required to win the league.

paulmcw wrote:
Maybe the smaller clubs should work harder with youth to bridge the gap

I think most do, then other clubs with more money come along and sign their players.

Currently, it is impossible for a non OF team to sustain a challange for more than a couple of seasons. Look back over the last 10 - 15 years. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Kilmarnock have all had the odd good season. Hearts even finished 2nd but were no-where the season after.

Putting money into an SPL team is the exact opposite of investing.

paulmcw wrote:
This accecetptance for mediocre crap (particularly from the aberdeen fans, who are still living on past glories) and demand more from your team and them who run it for success.

That sounds good but it's not very realistic.

If you think Aberdeen fans are happy cos we won the Coca Cola Cup 15 years ago then you are wrong. Right now, we are showing relegation form and but for a few half decent results prior to the end of January we'd probably be going down this year.

I'm certainly not happy about that and don't want to accept it but that's where we are. I dont think demanding more will make much difference.

Very little is going to change for Aberdeen or the other non OF teams the way our game is structured. So, right now I'd say I welcome anything that is going to restrict Rangers and Celtic's spending power.

I'd quite happily see the TV deal collapse to, as that will hit the OF proportionally more. It might also see fans going back top the games and put our game back on an upward spiral, cos right now I can't remember it being lower.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sport Chit Chat