Video Technology

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: George Burley

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:01 pm

wish we could play like Ireland!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:08 pm

I wish I could run like Seb Coe, but thats no going to happen either.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:32 am

But we SHOULD be able to play like Ireland. Our players, in the main, are as good as their's...the right manager could have us playing at that level again.....ie, glorious failure!

On a different subject.......the France goal. There is not a centre forward in the world worth his salt who would not have instictively controlled that cross with his hand like Henry did. He then had the skill and speed of thought and movement to knock it in to Gallas.

Henry should not be castigated from pilar to post for doing what Robbie Keane or Alan Shearer, Wayne Rooney or Kriss Boyd would have done.

I'm not even sure Henry meant to handle it the first time. It just came to him. The ref or his assistant did not/could not see it and they cant be blamed either. What was Henry supposed to do...CLAIM for handball?

Gie hard luck on the Irish but that is football.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Video Technology

Postby smiles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am

In light of last nights hand ball incident surely it is time to introduce video technology to football for any contenous goal issues?

To lose out on qualification to such a blant incident is unbelievable. Makes you wonder what would happen if this was one of the bigger nations?

South Africa's loss...
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Mary G » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 am

Surely it does make the case for video evidence to be used, in much the same way as happens in rugby? The ref - who otherwise had a good game - must feel pretty cheesed off too, I would guess.

We now have fourth, fifth, and sixth officials in some matches. Surely allocating part of this team to a booth with access to video replay facilities, and all of them hooked up by radio mic, is the way forward for big games like this one? Having been a bit resistant until now, I am in favour now after the injustice of last night.

And for what it is worth, I think Rooney would not have got away with it, nor would Zidane. Henry, like Lineker, has cultivated a 'nice guy' aura, and these guys get away with a lot more - unjustly.

Anyway, sell your Renault Clios, and start using Wilkinson - the only protests you can make :lol:

[sorry not about Burley ... split thread?]
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 am

If the game had been in the Europa League the new Bye Line official, or what ever he is called, would have been standing 2 feet away from the Henry handball, or possibly 10 if he was at the other side of the goal. Either way he would have seen it easily and informed the referee.
He would have had next to nothing to do for 99% of the match but that one incident would have justified his existence.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Video Technology

Postby Mary G » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:54 am

Exactly, 4th Gen'
I was a bit cynical about those extra officials, but maybe for big games they are warranted. And they don't come much bigger than a World Cup qualifier.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I think that in instances such as Wednesday's, TV evidence should be used. I must admit that I was against it, previously,preferring to leave it to the referee/assisitant referees to get right, or wrong, as has been the case for well over a hundred years,

What happened on Wednesday changed my mind. That could mean millions of pounds in sponsorship, TV deals etc to any FA. In a weird way, it could also have let Henry off the hook. I bet he must be wrestling with his conscience just now. He may well be forever be remembered as a cheat, instead of the great footballer that he was. 4th Gen is spot on when he says that any forward would have done it. The only thing is, rarely, probably never, have I seen such a catastrophic outcome for the team on the receiving end. Even Maradona's "hand of god" goal allowed England more than enough time to turn the result round.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TYM » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Sorry, but I am still against technology being used, apart from sensors on the goal line.

Football would be in danger of becoming too sanitised if, even key decisions were scrutinsed all the time. It is about opinions and controversy. That is what keeps us talking about this wonderful game. It is about the spontaneity of the joy of seeing your team scoring a goal. It just would not be the same if you had to wait even 30 seconds for an additional ruling, even if it happens to correct a wrong. How many times have key incidents been analysed on tv by pundits over and over again yet they still cannot agree. Leave it to the referee.

As for Ireland, as 4th Gen says, it is part and parcel of the game. I listened to Roy Keane's comments today and he had a valid point. In February of this year, Georgia were leading 1-0 at Croke Park when Ireland were awarded the most ridiculous of penalties. They scored and went on to win 2-1. Without that glaring error from the referee they may not have even been in the play offs. Did the FAI complain about being given a very dubious penalty? Of course not. Perhaps the Ireland v Georgia game should now be replayed.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:54 pm

TYM wrote:As for Ireland, as 4th Gen says, it is part and parcel of the game. I listened to Roy Keane's comments today and he had a valid point. In February of this year, Georgia were leading 1-0 at Croke Park when Ireland were awarded the most ridiculous of penalties. They scored and went on to win 2-1. Without that glaring error from the referee they may not have even been in the play offs. Did the FAI complain about being given a very dubious penalty? Of course not. Perhaps the Ireland v Georgia game should now be replayed.

Exactly. If we go down that route, how many games from the last few years would need to be replayed. Chelsea would be clamouring for one against Barcelona from last year for a start. Keane also came out with another great point. Why didn't anyone clear the ball? The 13 watches the ball the whole time and doesn't even make any attempt to get to it and yet who is the man closest to Henry when he handles it?
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am

Thierry Henry, mair hans than a German phonebook! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:55 am

Excellent points made TYM. Could not agree more. Life's tough, get on with it.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:00 am

TYM wrote:Sorry, but I am still against technology being used, apart from sensors on the goal line.

Football would be in danger of becoming too sanitised if, even key decisions were scrutinsed all the time. It is about opinions and controversy. That is what keeps us talking about this wonderful game. It is about the spontaneity of the joy of seeing your team scoring a goal. It just would not be the same if you had to wait even 30 seconds for an additional ruling, even if it happens to correct a wrong. How many times have key incidents been analysed on tv by pundits over and over again yet they still cannot agree. Leave it to the referee.

I always thought the same but I don't know after Wednesday night. I think something has to be introduced. For Ireland to lose out on qualifying for the World Cup on such a blantant foul does really question the integrity of the game and makes it exactly the opposite of wonderful. Imagine this was your only chance as a player to make the WC and to be robbed of it by such an unfair decision does raise questions.

I'd feel the same for any country and certainly would hate this to happen to Scotland.

Cracking debate nevertheless

TYM wrote:As for Ireland, as 4th Gen says, it is part and parcel of the game. I listened to Roy Keane's comments today and he had a valid point. In February of this year, Georgia were leading 1-0 at Croke Park when Ireland were awarded the most ridiculous of penalties. They scored and went on to win 2-1. Without that glaring error from the referee they may not have even been in the play offs. Did the FAI complain about being given a very dubious penalty? Of course not. Perhaps the Ireland v Georgia game should now be replayed.

Aye, valid point from Keane - read that.
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:12 am

I think the integrety of the game is well under scrutiny just now as it was revealed today that over two hundred teams are under investigation in connection to a betting scam .Makes you wonder just what does go on . :shock:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:07 am

The beauty of football (from my perspective) is that whether you are playing in Mogadishu, Motherwell, or Manhattan, the 17 rules of the game are the same. To me, the fact that the World Cup Final could be played in the Maracana or Kintyre Park because the same 'technology' exists is what makes us all identify with the game. We've all been there, seen the ball cross the line and the goal not given, had the benefit of the doubt, had decisions go for and against us. These are all part and parcel of what makes it the most popular game in the world. So - all you need is a pitch, some white lines, goalposts and some officials - that's the purity of the game. I couldn't really care for sensors in balls and goalposts, and 56 TV cameras to allow a game to be refereed, or more accurately RE-refereed!

The referees decision is final, it might not be correct, but it is final. These are the rules you sign up to when you enter the field of play, everyone knows that. I don't particularly want to end up with the game being like American Football, and stopping every 5 minutes.

With regards to Ireland - never mind what happened vs. Georgia - look at the actual France game! What if the man in the stand had watched a replay of the Given tackle, what if he decided it was a penalty, what if France had scored that penalty, etc, etc.

The only thing that amazes me about this whole episode is the fact that (this time) it didn't happen to Scotland. Just think how much we would have wallowed in yet more "Heroic Failure" had we been on the receiving end of it. If France had actually offered us a replay, we'd probably have run a mile - we'd have our wallowing opportunity removed. There's something about the celtic psyche which means we're happier moaning about being victims!

Ship called Dignity wrote: For Ireland to lose out on qualifying for the World Cup on such a blantant foul does really question the integrity of the game

You can's say that Ireland lost out on qualifying for the World Cup because of this. Lets say the goal was disallowed? The entire nature of the game then changes - a free kick is awarded - it's now a DIFFERENT game to the one that played out. So you just can't remove that goal and assume it would have finished 0-1. Everyone is also handily forgetting the game would have went to penalties.

blueboyno1 wrote:........it was revealed today that over two hundred teams are under investigation in connection to a betting scam .Makes you wonder just what does go on . :shock:

There can't be ANY sport in the world that has NOT been subject to some betting scam or investigation :? The integrity of football is under no more scrutiny than the integrity of Boxing / Snooker / Cycling / F1 / Cricket / Horse Racing / Athletics /etc.

If there's money is involved there'll always be someone willing to do something to get some of it!
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat