Video Technology

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Video Technology

Postby gizmo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 am

I agree totally with Sheik but really think in televised games where players have gained an advantage by cheating of any kind it is time to bring charges of bringing the game into disrepute. It is now a major problem in the game, I have even seen kids diving in kickabouts with no referees,funny at the time but where is this leading. I think the referees decision should be final as things usually end up levelling out over time and talking about these decisions have always been part of the game. But blatant cheating should be punished.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
Ship called Dignity wrote: For Ireland to lose out on qualifying for the World Cup on such a blantant foul does really question the integrity of the game

You can's say that Ireland lost out on qualifying for the World Cup because of this. Lets say the goal was disallowed? The entire nature of the game then changes - a free kick is awarded - it's now a DIFFERENT game to the one that played out. So you just can't remove that goal and assume it would have finished 0-1. Everyone is also handily forgetting the game would have went to penalties.

I'll re-phrase it :mrgreen:

Ship called Dignity wrote: For Ireland to potentially lose out on qualifying for the World Cup on such a blantant foul does really question the integrity of the game
:mrgreen:

Agree with your points - it is all ifs and buts.

As I mentioned before Wednesday I would never call for video technology as it is all part of the game. I think however, regardless of what has EVER happened in the past in the future it should change.

PS - I would take my video up to Kintyre Park but you can never get a game of football played in Campbeltown!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:42 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
TYM wrote:As for Ireland, as 4th Gen says, it is part and parcel of the game. I listened to Roy Keane's comments today and he had a valid point. In February of this year, Georgia were leading 1-0 at Croke Park when Ireland were awarded the most ridiculous of penalties. They scored and went on to win 2-1. Without that glaring error from the referee they may not have even been in the play offs. Did the FAI complain about being given a very dubious penalty? Of course not. Perhaps the Ireland v Georgia game should now be replayed.

Exactly. If we go down that route, how many games from the last few years would need to be replayed. Chelsea would be clamouring for one against Barcelona from last year for a start. Keane also came out with another great point. Why didn't anyone clear the ball? The 13 watches the ball the whole time and doesn't even make any attempt to get to it and yet who is the man closest to Henry when he handles it?

There can be raised a lot of iff's, but it's a fact that one misjustice can't justify another. So the story about the Georgia game is not justifying anything here, but is yet another evidence of how much this game needs another attitude to technology. I suggested in another thread half a year ago, that the game needed a video-support-referee to cut down on diving and goals that wheren't a goal. Not many supported the idea then, but I thought that the Ireland story would change some minds !?

I'm pretty sure that all these stories about fixed games and gambling several places in Europe would be minimized as weel, if the referee on the pitch didn't have that much power on his own hands only.
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat