Old Firm joining the Premier League

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Old Firm joining the Premier League

Postby Jock Strap » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:07 pm

What are your thoughts on the possibility of the Old Firm joining the English Premier League? Boltin Chairman Phil Gartside appears to be pushing the idea which could pave the way for Celtic and Rangers to play in England.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 264498.stm
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Old Firm joining the Premier League

Postby blueboyno1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:17 pm

It will never happen .Celtic and Rangers are to good for Scottish football and not good enough for English football ,as easy as .
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:32 pm

blueboyno1 wrote:It will never happen .Celtic and Rangers are to good for Scottish football and not good enough for English football ,as easy as .

I don't know if that, to be honest, is a factor Blueboyno1. Commercially Celtic and Rangers are a big addition to the Premiership. Outside say Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool the Old Firm globally have a huge pull. When did you hear of a Wigan Atletic, Burnley, Portsmouth etc Supporters Club in Melbourne or San Francisco? :wink:

From an armchair spectators point of view (if you like Celtic or Rangers in particular) it's a mouth watering aspect. However, as joe public and the Police etc it will be a nightmare. I'm sure Glasgow and all the other English cities would just love these games on a weekly basis! :?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:43 pm

It will never happen.
To be honest Rangers and Celtic would struggle in the Coca Cola Championship,never mind the Premiership.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 am

bill wrote:It will never happen.

Hope so.

bill wrote:To be honest Rangers and Celtic would struggle in the Coca Cola Championship,never mind the Premiership.

While I think the Coca Cola Championship is one of best 2nd tier leagues in the World I think you are wrong there. IF Celtic or Rangers were to join the Premiership their income would be huge. 2nd only to the top three or four in England. With that comes money and with that comes the ability to attract top players and with that comes the chance to compete. Their fan base would increase, mechandise would increase, their income would increase etc.

By the way I am in no way pro this happening just trying to highlight that if it did happen then I am sure both would hold their own.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:38 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:
bill wrote:It will never happen.

Hope so.

bill wrote:To be honest Rangers and Celtic would struggle in the Coca Cola Championship,never mind the Premiership.

While I think the Coca Cola Championship is one of best 2nd tier leagues in the World I think you are wrong there. IF Celtic or Rangers were to join the Premiership their income would be huge. 2nd only to the top three or four in England. With that comes money and with that comes the ability to attract top players and with that comes the chance to compete. Their fan base would increase, mechandise would increase, their income would increase etc.

By the way I am in no way pro this happening just trying to highlight that if it did happen then I am sure both would hold their own.

I agree. If Celtic and Rangers did get into the EPL, the new income along with the massive support would enable them to afford and attract the world class players. I don't think this will ever happen though.

As for the comment earlier about the smaller clubs not having the support worldwide - as a Burnley fan I know of people who came to see Burnley at the Play-off-Final against Sheffield Utd from Texas, Vancouver, Japan etc. Obviously we don't get anywhere near the following of the huge clubs like ManUtd, but we do seem to be a lot of people's second team.

Never expected to see an article in the NY Times about the Clarets!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/sports/soccer/30burnley.html?_r=4&ref=sports

Back on topic, I'd love to see Rangers and Celtic play in the EPL, but I think it'd kill off the SPL.

PS. Not sure if there are any Celtic fans who remember, but I doubt Burnley are ready for another invasion of green hoops after 1978 :shock: ;) :D
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 am

Kevin Mc wrote:As for the comment earlier about the smaller clubs not having the support worldwide - as a Burnley fan I know of people who came to see Burnley at the Play-off-Final against Sheffield Utd from Texas, Vancouver, Japan etc. Obviously we don't get anywhere near the following of the huge clubs like ManUtd, but we do seem to be a lot of people's second team.

Not to change the subject here but :mrgreen:

Hi Kevin,

Good to see another Burnley win again even though it meant rattling 3 past our no.1 8) - do like Owen Coyle, think he is a great manager who comes over very well. Doing far better than the Tractor Boys I support :oops: :oops:

Definitely agree every team has fan base all over the world, I even know a Partick Thistle fan who travels from Armenia! The point I was trying to make however, is that (in terms of British Club) Celtic and Rangers have official supporters clubs rivaled only by probably Man Utd and Liverpool in the World. Go to Melbourne for example and both have a massive Celtic and Rangers supporters club. Both huge properties choc a bloc with ex pats and the unfortunate ones who have been brain washed 8) :wink:

Anyway, back to the subject. Personally I think there would be too much trouble at these games too and I am sure the authorities will have a big say on this. Right, I'm debating too much already and I said I wouldn't do that! 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kevin Mc » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:Not to change the subject here but :mrgreen:

Hi Kevin,

Good to see another Burnley win again even though it meant rattling 3 past our no.1 8) - do like Owen Coyle, think he is a great manager who comes over very well. Doing far better than the Tractor Boys I support :oops: :oops:

Definitely agree every team has fan base all over the world, I even know a Partick Thistle fan who travels from Armenia!

That's dedication!

As for Ipswich - we were in a similar position at the same time last season, so you never know. :)

Ship called Dignity wrote:The point I was trying to make however, is that (in terms of British Club) Celtic and Rangers have official supporters clubs rivaled only by probably Man Utd and Liverpool in the World. Go to Melbourne for example and both have a massive Celtic and Rangers supporters club. Both huge properties choc a bloc with ex pats and the unfortunate ones who have been brain washed 8) :wink:

I know, it was just a shameless excuse for me to waffle on about Burnley :oops: :D

Ship called Dignity wrote:Anyway, back to the subject. Personally I think there would be too much trouble at these games too and I am sure the authorities will have a big say on this. Right, I'm debating too much already and I said I wouldn't do that! 8)

I think initially there would be trouble as the clubs wouldn't be used to playing each other. Certainly that Celtic match I mentioned in 1978 was the most trouble I've ever seen at a game. I'm sure this would die down as the fans got used to the opposition, but as you indicated, I don't think the authorities would be too keen.

I always think the English clubs have an unfair advantage over the big Scottish clubs with all this extra dosh. I'd love to see Celtic and Rangers beating the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U (or should that be Man C now). Even more, I'd love to see a strong national team in Scotland.. Can't see either happening for some time though :(
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby blueboyno1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:44 pm

If Celtic and Rangers did get into the EPL, the new income along with the massive support would enable them to afford and attract the world class players.

Dont know where this massive support would come from I live on an island and as it is just now it can cost me up to £100 to go to ibrox never mind gotng down south .By the time i count the price of ticket ,travel, lunch and a few pints .And that is jsut weekend games ,mid week games would be out of the question for me and plenty like me .Most times it would mean an over night stay somewhere .

Cannot see it ever happening.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 pm

The majority of Man Utd supporters leave for the home games from St Pancras station,I would have thought it would be just as easy to get to Manchester,Liverpool etc from the Central Station. There is also a lot of Scots in England (missionary work you understand) who would jump at the chance of seeing their own teams regularly, who I am sure would swell the gates.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sport Chit Chat