Machrihanish Dunes

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Machrihanish Dunes

Postby SARID » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:25 pm

A letter in yesterday's "Scotsman " congratulated the American developer,David Southworth, for sucessfully creating "Machrihanish Dunes " Golf Course. This was achieved without controversy, and with the enthusiastic support of environmentalists.
The writer went onto say that, keeping in mind the success at Machrihanish, is it not time the Scottish Government and Aberdeenshire Council, had a rethink about Donald Trump's controversial plans, (which they approved ) for the Golf Course etc on the Menie Estate in Aberdeenshire? The site at Menie is apparently broadly similar to the site at Machrihanish.
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Machrihanish Dunes

Postby SARID » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:30 pm

An article in "The Sunday Times " today on Machrihanish Dunes, names Irish born Australian, Brian Keating as the entrepreneur behind the venture, not David Southworth named in yesterday's letter to "The Scotsman "
The course architect was David McLay Kidd,who also designedthe renowned Bandon Dunes course in Oregon
SARID
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:53 pm

I was going to say that after the first post that it was Brian Keating who was behind the whole idea. The golf course has come in for its fair share of comment locally and not least on this forum and I think it is tremendous credit to Brian Keating that he stuck with this project when many people would have given up.

Many a time (including myself) everyone thought this would never come off but it has and I think everyone involved deserves huge congratulations. There is a buzz about Kintyre that I have never known before and Machrihanish Dunes along with all the other developments means we have a very exciting future ahead.

Not many people will be able to say they had the vision to build a golf course but Brian Keating did so and well done. It is now up to Southworth etc to ensure that dream continues to become reality. Best of luck to everyone involved.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm

The following article is well worth a read. Nice touch that the reporter also played Machrihanish and Dunaverty too. 8)

To read the article click here
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat