Formula One

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Formula One

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 12, 2013 10:20 pm

:(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Insider » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Montreal Qualy.

I always knew the boy Bottas would show how good he was at some point soon given that the car is pretty poor.

Today he's showed what he's made of in the trickiest of conditions.

Way to go VB.

TI
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 pm

There was an interesting documentary on BBC2 Monday night ,"Hunt vs Lauda: F1's Greatest Racing Rivals".

It concentrated on the 1976 season,Hunt's championship year.Also the season which Lauda cheated death after his horrific crash which resulted in his horrendously burnt and permanently scarred face.

Two completely different characters with one aim,to be Champion.

The best clip has to be from Hunt after Lauda's return to racing after the fire when he said with affection.............

“Niki, you’re the only person I know who could have been in a fire and come out better looking,”
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:49 am

Always puts a smile on my face when I think of the possibility of Ecclestone doing time in a German prison. 8)
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Insider » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 pm

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109278

I said last year after I had a coaching session with Bottas that "this kid is the REAL DEAL"

Although the Williams has not been a good car this season the team REALLY rate VB.

To date, he is the finest young talent I have coached so far.

In the right car he's a champion, no question about it.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby The Insider » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... 014-season

This was ALWAYS going to happen, he will do EXACTLY as his told so the Germanic/Austrain domination continues.

He's a nice kid and a good peddler and, it's a FANTASTIC opportunity for him, he'll do a good job.

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 pm

I just don't think that anyone can beat Red Bull and that's it. I know everyone goes on about Vettel being a great driver but I'm not convinced yet. I'd like to see him in a lesser car - perhaps one that Adrian Newey has nothing to do with! And imagine Hamilton with Red Bull. No surprises today and if things continue I don't know if I can go through it all again next season and know it will be the same old, same old.

We've been here before with Schui.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am

F1 is something I used to watch and enjoy. I can't remember the last time I sat and watched a race in front of my own telly, and have no intentions of doing so again. In fact, I had no idea there was racing on this week until I read GG's post. I don't have the result, but don't need to look for it as it would likely be the same old procession, unlike Touring Car Racing, Moto GP, Superbikes or raindrops going down a window.
It's just a parade of brightly coloured cars with young men inside steering them. You can't really say they're drivers as nearly everything they do can be controlled from the pits. They have assisted starts, they don't have to use a clutch and gearstick, sticky tyres, fancy bits stuck all over them to do this, that and the other.
They certainly get up some speed and it takes a certain degree of skill to be good at using what is basically an X Box on wheels.

As to whether Vettel is better than Hamilton or Alonso etc we wont know until they are given given identical cars and conditions, then allowed to race without orders as to who comes in first being issued from the man with his hands on all the money.
What are the chances of that happening?
Nane and the other kind, as big business and a toty wee man called Bernie have F1 by the short and curlies and call all the shots.
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Govangirl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm

See Pete, these are the arguments all my non-loving-F1friends have given me over the years and I have always argued the toss (probably hard to imagine me arguing :lol: ) but really, I am in agreement with you. No doubt another good race with a few surprises thrown in will help to change my mind but good post Pete and I'd never have thought I would be agreeing. TI might come along and change our minds but even in my excitement of Saturday and a Scot nearly getting Pole position I knew that even if he did, Red Bull would have taken him by the first corner. :(
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The Insider » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Ye, it's gone boring with the Red Bull domination, I used to work there but it still hacks me off.

However; it was the same with Schumi and Ferrari ten years ago, next year will (hopefully) be more interesting with new cars and engines, could be a different geography across the board but Newey is exceptional and RBR make sure that the 'Wee German Boy' dominates that team - whatever.

As for Pete's comment of "just sitting behind the wheel driving them and everything controlled from the pits" ????

Well its a little more involved than that and 'Duplex Telemetry' was banned several years ago, its now 'Simplex Telemetry'

The teams can't control anything on the car from the garage, pitwall or factory, the driver has all of that to do from the steering wheel but I get his point.

As with most sports including the ones he mentioned, there are often periods of domination by single teams like football - Man United, Golf - Tiger Woods etc.

All modern sport is now dictated by who has the biggest budget, sad but true and F1 is probably THE single biggest exponent of cash, again sad but true.

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby The Insider » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:01 am

Kimi,

The Iceman returns to Ferrari.

No real surprise there but fROSTY WILL be happy for sure :D

He will push Alonso and it might well get ugly, thats just what the sport needs, a bit of needle in a top team to rock the boat and cause ruptions instead of the single domination of Seb and the Bulls.

Kimi had to go, Lotus are skint and could well dissapear at the end of the season, a great team destroyed by two businessmen who are trying to run the team like a business, it was NEVER going to work.

I would be sad to see it go under, tough for all the lads and girls that work so hard.

It is what it is, lets wait and see what happens post Brazil, but at the moment, it doesn't look good.

However; as I keep saying, in this game, ANYTHING can happen.

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Frosty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 pm

The Iceman cometh back...... and continues, however I thought he was heading for The Bulls?!!? Did he get fed up waiting for their reply or have you heard any other reason why he didn't push for Mark's old seat?
You are correct T.I., I'm happy and I hope he rocks Fernando's boat - perhaps he already is?
Good to hear from you, keep the info coming, it's been a wee bit quite lately, perhaps next seasons new engines will bring more fans back to the forum!
Do you think Honda will help JB, he seems - as you let us know before the start of the season - very unhappy with my favourite team from Woking!!?!!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The Insider » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:44 pm

fROSTY,

Kimi might miss Korea because he fell down some stairs after a few Vodka's :lol:

You have to love that, he really is a special one, James Hunt style, he's lost interest in Lotus because of the two owners ruining the team and not paying him.

As for next year?

Crikey, NO ONE would dare to predict what will happen, it's so complicated with hybrid/turbo engines, who knows how it will play out.

I would actually like to be at the first test for this, there will be lots of bodywork fires through turbo heat, guarenteed.

On a different note, I'm coming off the bench for the second year to do the last four GP's, well India and Abu Dhabi confirmed and the final two 99%.

It's for your favourite team from Woking.

Don't get too exited, it's not race team, it's a marketing job for one of their sponsors and I won't be in close proximity to the circuit but I will be with the team and drivers at events.

It will be somewhat different to what I normally do.

Keep you posted :wink:

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Frosty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 am

1VETTEL,fourth Championship for Seb and now Ross Brawn is to leave Mercedes!!! Lots happening, I think T.I. is out in the thick of it too.
It is going to be interesting to see how many more records this young man can break and set, he is certainly a fantastic driver and I wouldn't bet that there are going to be many that can catch him soon!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Terribly frightening news about Schumacher. Please let's hope he is okay. The irony of him being so badly injured in a skiing accident is not worth thinking about. :(
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat