Champions League

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Champions League

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat May 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Get what you are saying 4th Gen I do and good point. Just I am looking at it in this particular case and I think it is a fine tackle but then again I can see why the ref would give it. Even Ferguson said that.

hugh wrote:Looking at it again and I still think it's a penalty, but obviously that's arguable. What gets me is this; if the ref gives the penalty, is he absolutely bound and obliged to show the red card? Last man, goal scoring opportunity and all that?
Yes

hugh wrote:I thought that rule was designed to punish the cynical "professional foul"? Fletcher's challenge was quite clearly an honest attempt to play the ball. Surely the ref's got to have room to make a judgement on that? If he hasn't, he should. A penalty's punishment enough.
In this case it is a goal scoring opportunity and Fletcher is last man so if it is a penalty he has to go. Which it isn't and he shouldn't! :lol:

hugh wrote:P.S. I know alot of people'll say he did "play the ball", but I'm just not convinced that 'cos the heel of his boot brushed against the ball in passing that means he played it. You tackle from behind in the penalty area, you better make sure you get it 100%.
He did - what part of 100% does touch the ball not mean he doesnt get it. :mrgreen:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sun May 10, 2009 5:52 am

There's a big difference between touching the ball and playing it. Going by your logic, Joey Barton was innocent.

And he shouldn't have been red carded. That rule should only hold for intentional fouls. Referees should be free to apply common sense.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sun May 10, 2009 6:17 am

I had been looking for and trying to remember an example of a tackle to illustrate my point....and there it was, right in front of us.

Hugh pointed it out. Joey Barton played, or touched, the ball before scything Alonso down.......obviously not the same as the Fletcher tackle but it was exactly what I was trying to point out.

Should that have been a corner because he played the ball first?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun May 10, 2009 12:56 pm

hugh wrote:There's a big difference between touching the ball and playing it. Going by your logic, Joey Barton was innocent.

And he shouldn't have been red carded. That rule should only hold for intentional fouls. Referees should be free to apply common sense.

Hugh, I am specifically referring to the Fletcher tackle. It was a tackle that won the ball. There was no attempt to take the man out. A genuine attempt to win the ball which he did.

4th Gens point is a valid point and like your refers to a different situation.

Can't we just go for a pint and have a yarn about this, it would be easier! :lol: (PS - 4th Gen's roond first - he is minted. :wink: )
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sun May 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Oh, aye..I'm all for that. :lol:

I love futba'...but it really is only a game. :)
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Can't see either Fletcher or Abidal getting to play in the final. Looks like Iniesta might be out now too. Which is why I can't understand Ronaldo's reaction to being substituted yesterday, there are plenty bigger fish to fry than a finished game against Man City. And the way he sat there shaking his head for about 10 minutes straight was totally for the benefit of the cameras. Obviously a very talented player, but I for one am sick of his antics, he's getting far too greedy and is starting to shoot near enough every time he gets the ball.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Mon May 11, 2009 6:15 pm

UEFA have rejected the appeal made by Manchester United on behalf of Darren Fletcher. Alves and Abidal will also miss the final. Both clubs have three days to appeal against the decision. That would seem to be a waste of time now, I would have thought. I think if Scholes plays any part in the final he might well be a liability. Seems to try to make up for a loss of pace with aggression.

Yeah, Ronaldo just acted like a kid being sent to his room. Probably still trying to work his ticket. Man. City were hardly worth the effort.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat