Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Postby Jock Strap » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Hooray for the auld flas 8)

Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 147

Postby Kevin Mc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 am

I've worked in Sheffield for over a year and didn't know where the Crucible Theatre was. I had an idea where I thought it was and walked through there yesterday lunch. It was where I thought. They've got big outdoor screens up showing the snooker, and a temporary snooker hall by the theatre. With this and the BBC portakabins(sp) and lorries, they've taken up half the square.

They always make it look easy - Think my best break was 22 (4 balls) :oops: Not played for yonks. Makes pool seem easy.
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby hugh » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 am

I was on for a 147 once. Blew it on the third red.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:27 am

As obvious as it is, I'd never really thought about how hard it must be to get a 147 break before. It's certainly impressive but I think Hendry would rather have won the tie.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Wed May 06, 2009 2:32 am

A thing I've been wondering about.

You've got to make 36 pots on the bounce to make a 147, and each shot affects the next position wise. So it really is an achievement. In a game of 501 at darts you "only" need to make 2 x 180's and then a 141 finish for the perfect 9-dart finish. But you seem to hear of a lot more 147 snooker games than 9 dart finishes. Why's that? Is it just that snooker gets more coverage? Or am I just mistaken? Or is alcohol a factor? Anybody on here ever done one or the other? With witnesses, I mean. :wink:
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 am

maybe just margin for error hugh? Nine or 10 maximums in 32 years at the Crucible suggests that it is difficult to make a 147 but I reckon throwing 8 successive trebles followed by a double, targets of not much more than a two or three square centimetres is more difficult.

Pro snooker players probably make maximums every week at home or in the club. Then again, I'm sure Phil Taylor has achieved many 9 dart finishes at home too.

If a snooker player retains good position throughout a break, itself part of the difficulty, you fancy him to pot the ball but you never really know where a dart is going to land until it has.

..and no, I've not managed either! :lol:
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sport Chit Chat