McGregor/Gordon

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: McGregor/Gordon

Postby Hume » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:
Is it Hume? Hardly think it is ridiculous - It's just my view that is all. There is no doubt the players are to blame but we know how many brain cells some of them have. The point I was getting at is NO-ONE should have been allowed any alcohol. I would have thought this was a rule with a double header. I was first of all surprised to hear anyone was drinking. Unfortunately our culture is different and you know you can't trust anyone just to have a pint. (well not no-one but you know what I mean :mrgreen: ) I just feel as manager Burley should have said NO to the question of drink. I enjoy reading your opinion - and of course Mr Sheik too 8) - but lets not ridicule one another. I would have thought it was a fair point to say why did Burley allow this?

Sorry ScD, I know it was you who said Burley was at fault but I wasn't posting with you in mind, more the press who seem to have been having a go at him since day one, not just since last weekend. As I said in the very next paragraph of my post, I'm sick of all the negativity towards Burley from know it journalists and papers who will no doubt claim to be 'the official paper of the TA' on 9/9/9 should we need a point or three to secure a play-off place. Hypocrites!

I'm not sure of your personal opinion on Burley as a manager and of course whether you though he wasn't up to it or not you'd still be there backing him cos that what we do, we are allowed to have different opinions on whether he was right to allow the squad to go to the bar on Sunday am. Perhaps he feels if you treat folk like kids they'll act like kids - in that respect he may have been a little niave - cos he trated them like adults and they still acted like kids.

So, whilst, I did say to blame Burley was ridiculous, i can see why folk are saying he was at fault. Then again, whether he sanctioned alcohol or not, would it really have stopped them? Probably not, it would have just happened in one of the rooms rather than the bar.

I feel Burley cannot win, no matter what he does. As i said already, I'd have loved Ferguson to come on late in the game on Wednesday. Not sure what his frame of mind would have been, could have gone either way but we needed him.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby £3.73 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Having thought about all of this for at least 2 minutes ...

all of this just looks like a re-run of the Russell Brand/Jonathon Ross incident of last year.

Ok, they did something wrong ...
There was a media furore.

And the end result was the BBC managed to trim it's wage bill.

This would seem to me a great way to nullify (or re-negotiate) otherwise watertight contracts ...

The thing is, now there a precedent has been set ... it's logical to assume it's going to happen more often.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 pm

What I don't get about this entire saga is why did'nt the players take the opportunity to go home when they returned from Amsterdam? George Burley said half of the squad had gone home after they had been given that option.

Much is made of Barry Ferguson the family man. After being away from his wife and young kids for the best part of a week, I would have thought he would have been desperate to get home, even if only to see his kids in the morning.

As for Allan McGregor, he seems so besotted with his current girlfried, I would have thought that he would have jumped at the chance of a few hours at home.

With one staying in Hamilton and the other in Glasgow, it would not have taken them any longer from Glasgow Airport than back to Cameron House. Had they just gone home then the whole sorry episode would have been avoided
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Hume wrote:Sorry ScD, I know it was you who said Burley was at fault but I wasn't posting with you in mind, more the press who seem to have been having a go at him since day one, not just since last weekend. As I said in the very next paragraph of my post, I'm sick of all the negativity towards Burley from know it journalists and papers who will no doubt claim to be 'the official paper of the TA' on 9/9/9 should we need a point or three to secure a play-off place. Hypocrites!

No probs Hume. Did read the posts later and thought about editing it but said feck it! 8) That's the problem - if we were in a pub we would have a good debate going which is great.

Hume wrote:I'm not sure of your personal opinion on Burley as a manager and of course whether you though he wasn't up to it or not you'd still be there backing him cos that what we do, we are allowed to have different opinions on whether he was right to allow the squad to go to the bar on Sunday am. Perhaps he feels if you treat folk like kids they'll act like kids - in that respect he may have been a little niave - cos he trated them like adults and they still acted like kids.

I'm not too sure about him to be honest. I thought initially it was a good appointment but he doesn't inspire me and in turn I think how can he do this to players. Don't like the constant negativity however, there was a lot of luck in the last campaign which we haven't had in this one. (Georgia at home, France...)

Can see the point about trusting them and as mentioned above I enjoy reading other opinions too. TYM has a good point about players not going home.

Whole affair is a shambles to be honest....
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Bud wrote "its a witch hunt against rangers"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:lol:

Your right they would have never dropped the Celtic players :lol:
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:50 pm

On a much more important note, although on the same subject, half of it anyway.

Why on earth does Gordon insist on wearing these short sleeved tops? they look ridiculous for a start, and also, what if he saved the ball with his forearm? what a stinger that would be...

AND, did it not used to be against the rules for a goalie to wear short sleeves? the reason being if the ball was in the air in the penalty box and the goalkeeper had his hands up amongst other arms and body parts trying to cacth or punch it, the ref could not mistake him for a short sleeved out field player.

Aye, Gordon should be banned as well! :wink:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:AND, did it not used to be against the rules for a goalie to wear short sleeves? the reason being if the ball was in the air in the penalty box and the goalkeeper had his hands up amongst other arms and body parts trying to cacth or punch it, the ref could not mistake him for a short sleeved out field player.

Correct 4th Gen--but that rule seemed to go oot the windae when Barthez signed for Manchester United (Just a wind up) I can remember him playing v Rangers (Marseilles maybe?) and it was commented on at that time. I suppose most players wouldn't wear keepers gloves, right enough :?
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 pm

Aye ye will always recognise Boruc ,his middle finger will be sticking up. :lol: :lol:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:AND, did it not used to be against the rules for a goalie to wear short sleeves? the reason being if the ball was in the air in the penalty box and the goalkeeper had his hands up amongst other arms and body parts trying to catch or punch it, the ref could not mistake him for a short sleeved out field player.

4th Gen - I once got posed a similar question in a one of these "great football trivia questions for in the pub" situations. It went something along the lines of "What is the goalkeeper not allowed to do, that any other outfield player is allowed to do?". Or it might have been "if the goalkeeper does this once he get's booked, if he does it twice he gets sent off, but all other outfield players are allowed to do it as many times as they want without being cautioned"

And the answer was something like "roll up his sleeves up if he's not wearing gloves"

A guy I used to work with was a Premiership Referee in England (Dave Pugh http://www.4thegame.com/matchcentre/pre ... citfc.html) So me being the smart @rsed feckwit that I am, tried to fox him one night in the pub with the same question. At which point he explained to me I was talking complete an utter pash :oops: :lol:

Well, let's be honest, it's not the first time I've heard that - and it certainly won't be the last

So, to my embarrassment, I found out there's no rule which states a goalie must have a long sleeve shirt, or wear gloves - just something like his kit must be distinguishable from the other outfield players. :wink:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:23 am

maganru wrote:http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_news/251687/Celtic-star-just-as-guilty-as-Rangers-duo-Barry-Ferguson-Allan-McGregor-Scott-Brown.html

Why am I not surprised? Always knew there was more to this story to come out.

another angle ......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490

How long can they keep it going? I wonder what the timeline was for everyone going to their beds. Scotland being Scotland, no-one seems that interested when Teale or Hutton decided to bugger off, only when the Old Firm 'stars' hit the sack.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MacDuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:19 pm

Was watching SkySports News on Sunday afternoon - they were canvassing opinion of the Rangers fans before the Falkirk match.

Local man (celebrity DJ) Joe MacLean was one of the ones being interviewed on camera outside the stadium.
MacDuff
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby blueboyno1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm

MacDuff wrote:Was watching SkySports News on Sunday afternoon - they were canvassing opinion of the Rangers fans before the Falkirk match.

Local man (celebrity DJ) Joe MacLean was one of the ones being interviewed on camera outside the stadium.

Wee Joe boy .Never seen that ,i will need to ask him about it when he phones me tonight.I would bet money he would back them until his nose bled . :lol:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby MacDuff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm

He got his points across quite well on Camera (not sure if many from South of the Border would quite understand what he was saying mind you), and yes, he did come out in support of the 2 players.
MacDuff
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby blueboyno1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Thats Joe boy alright .He would be hoots this and hoots that . :lol:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:10 pm

get him on YouTube