McGregor/Gordon

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: McGregor/Gordon

Postby jock the boat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:31 pm

If you don't read all the posts, how can you follow the discussion?
Last edited by jock the boat on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no 1 will want to play with me once the bloody swimming pool opens. toot toot. except Gen Jack
jock the boat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby blueboyno1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:I'm an Aberdeen supporter. We wear red. Obviously you didn't see my post about old firm paranoia. And do you not see how childlike the whole fingers incident is. He's 31 ffs. It's absolutely ludicrous to think that the media have some sort of vendetta against these two players. Paul Le Guen has been proven correct about Ferguson, it just took three years for anybody at Rangers to realise it. And as for the question of punishment to the other players, maybe that will be handed out in the next game, (though i doubt it), as Ship called Dignity stated that Burley didn't know all the details prior to the game on Wednesday. Thought that was common sense, but then I wouldn't expect a paranoid Old Firm fan to have any of that.

HA HA an Aberdeen fan do you think that excuses anything ,it's a well known fact that Don supporters hate Rangers more than celtic supporters do . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Doesn't mean I don't have objectiveness and more importantly it doesn't make me wrong. Unsurprising you focused on that fact, rather than the points I was making. Typical.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:03 pm

blueboyno1 wrote:....There are also reports that newspaper reporters were sitting drinking with all the team ....

Surely you know how the football media works? Do you honestly believe the reporter sitting drinking with them, and being fed the juicy tit-bits, is likely to phone Burley :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's more likely a member of staff/public phoned a 'non-present' journalist who, having not been invited to the party, decided to raise the ante. This is all incidental anyway - you seem desperate to blame this on "busy bodies", "gutter press", and outrage at why no-one else has been dealt with - when infact the blame lies fairly and squarely at the feet of the players. And the captain should know better. So the simple point you are trying to avoid is that Ferguson (along with others) is guilty as sin, and acted like a petulant child when he got caught. He brought his country into disrepute and he brought his club into disrepute, hence the action today from the club's hierarchy.

Finally don't for a second think that Barry Ferguson doesn't have ALOT of close friends in what you refer to as the "gutter press", all you have to do is look back at his conduct and who he ran to in Jan 2007!

There's an old adage about dancing with the devil .......
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm with Rangers all the way on this.
There was a time it was an honour for player AND club to be chosen to represent your country.

Should players be sat at a bar (regardless of alcohol consumption) until all hours while on International duty.
(especially a few days before a MUST WIN game) ? ... NO

Should players be having heated public exchanges with the team manager ? ... NO

Should players relegated to the bench for misconduct be more focussed on making gestures to the media than on the match ? ... NO

I mentioned on another thread about pundits and the media making mountains out of molehills. This is a perfect example. However, these players ARE guilty of misconduct, and, hopefully, Rangers will take appropriate action.

Let's hope the punishment fits the crime.
Last edited by £3.73 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hail to the Thief » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Sky Sports now saying both will no longer be considered for international duty. I'm not too disappointed with that to be honest, and I would guess there is more than just the drinking session and subsequent petulance on Wednesday night.

McGregor is no loss at all IMO, I think that his replacement at Rangers is at least as good as him. Ferguson may be a greater loss, but given he's only played once I think for Burley he may not be as big a miss as some may think. His injuries were catching up on him, and midfield is probably our strongest area in the squad. Much as I dislike the guy, if Kevin Thomson can regain his form when he gets back from injury he may be the ball-retaining midfielder that we would be missing. Perhaps the off-field benefits of Ferguson not being in the squad will outweigh the qualities he brings on it.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:04 pm

So McGregor will have to rely on his winning personality to get women then.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:38 pm

Pity Burley did not read the riot act, tell them all to get to their bed and not to re-emerge till totally sobered up, cleaned up and smelling nice.....kept it all in house and within the Scotland camp. He could then have dealt with the players how he wanted without the huge media circus that has ensued.

This is bad for the Scotland team, Scottish football, Rangers and the players concerned.

I have been reading forums of English clubs and letters pages of various football websites. It is fair to say that Scottish football is, once again, a laughing stock.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 pm

Aye well said .
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Pity Burley did not read the riot act, tell them all to get to their bed and not to re-emerge till totally sobered up, cleaned up and smelling nice.....kept it all in house and within the Scotland camp. He could then have dealt with the players how he wanted without the huge media circus that has ensued.

This is bad for the Scotland team, Scottish football, Rangers and the players concerned.

I have been reading forums of English clubs and letters pages of various football websites. It is fair to say that Scottish football is, once again, a laughing stock.

I agree with the first part, but they had to take action after what they did on Wednesday. If it's such an anti-rangers agenda that the SFA has, then why are Rangers punishing the players as well?
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hail to the Thief » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:29 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Pity Burley did not read the riot act, tell them all to get to their bed and not to re-emerge till totally sobered up, cleaned up and smelling nice.....kept it all in house and within the Scotland camp. He could then have dealt with the players how he wanted without the huge media circus that has ensued.

I think it would always come out in the press, though I'm surprised there haven't been any grainy camera-phone pictures doing the rounds.

As I said before I hope this sparks a change in attitude which has been far too long in coming. Our players are simply not professional enough; as you said 4th gen alcohol should not be a thought during the season. Players need to realise how lucky they are to be in such a privaleged position, and do the right things to make the most of what they have.

The likes of Chris Hoy, Andy Murray and Darren Fletcher have made the sacrifices and are performing at the very top of their respective professions. Came across this article about Fletcher recently and thought it epitomises exactly the kind of attitude our players need.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... orcer.html
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I dont support Rangers and I dont think the SFA have any kind of agenda against Rangers.

It makes no difference to me what colour of shirt a player wears in club football...I would even cheer a Morton player :wink:

I hate the Rangers/Barry bashing from some Scotland fans and the Scotland/Tartan Army bashing from some, but not all, Rangers fans.
Jeezo, what a change since November 07 when we were all as one in the lead up to the Italy game. Will we ever get that feel good factor back?
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:01 pm

I may be wrong but i think the last time there was so much controversy between the Scotland manager and the captain was the Andy Roxburgh and Richard Gough incident .It took us ages to get over that and re-unite the nation .It can still start some heated arguments in pubs and clubs .I wonder how long it will take to get over this one.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Hume wrote:But to blame Burley is ridiculous too. He shouldn't need to tell them what is expected of them - it you are told be down for brunch at 11.45 that in itself is enough. I know its a stange one to even go to the bar at 4am in the first place, but anyone with half a brain would have known he meant for one or two drinks maximum.

Is it Hume? Hardly think it is ridiculous - It's just my view that is all. There is no doubt the players are to blame but we know how many brain cells some of them have. The point I was getting at is NO-ONE should have been allowed any alcohol. I would have thought this was a rule with a double header. I was first of all surprised to hear anyone was drinking. Unfortunately our culture is different and you know you can't trust anyone just to have a pint. (well not no-one but you know what I mean :mrgreen: ) I just feel as manager Burley should have said NO to the question of drink. I enjoy reading your opinion - and of course Mr Sheik too 8) - but lets not ridicule one another. I would have thought it was a fair point to say why did Burley allow this?

blueboyno1 wrote:I may be wrong but i think the last time there was so much controversy between the Scotland manager and the captain was the Andy Roxburgh and Richard Gough incident .It took us ages to get over that and re-unite the nation .It can still start some heated arguments in pubs and clubs .I wonder how long it will take to get over this one.

I wouldn't think very long if you listen to the guy from the Rangers Supporters Association......

Anyway, here is an interesting article on it, albeit from Chick Young. :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chickyoun...gh_enough.html

It was a tough enough shift for Barry Ferguson and Allan MacGregor looking on at Hampden on Wednesday.

It's going to be sheer hell for them if Scotland make South Africa.

It was meant to be one for the road at Cameron House. It turned into the end of the road. Oh, boys what have you done?

Two careers in disarray, Rangers in a mess and the Scottish FA in utter shambles.

It started as a molehill and turned into a seething volcano.

Scottish football, the greatest soap opera in the sporting universe, has done it again. Walter Mitty couldn't have made it up.

Let's analyse this chronologically.

Several Scotland players start a drinking session on return from Holland, albeit around 4am when they splice the main brace. More morning than nightcap.

They make two big mistakes. They keep bevvying in the bar rather than the privacy of their rooms - and they get caught.

At this stage, it's an error of judgment by several of the squad, but it's the Ibrox pair who are hung out to dry - in not quite the required way - by the tabloid press. In fact, it turns into a witch hunt.

There is a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou savaging by self-appointed spokespersons of various backgrounds and the two players are left out of the team to face Iceland, having apologised to the manager.

In my opinion, George Burley arrived at the right compromise, albeit by a circuitous route. Why ostracise players who may yet have a role to play en-route to Cape Town?

But then came the V-sign madness. Not even a full blooded get-it-right-up-you job, but rather a wee camouflaged effort with fingers either side of the nose as if to suggest "honest, I was just scratching my cheek".

It was directed at the photographers - of course it was. But, in a heartbeat, the Tartan Army - many of them Rangers fans - took it as a personal slight. Well, they had already booed the players.

And don't tell me that is always right. They were bang out of order when they gave it tight to Gary McAllister - a marvellous player and servant to his country - who consequently quit playing for the dark blue jersey.

But, from that second, the booze brothers were adrift without a lifejacket.

It was a moment of utter lunacy by Ferguson and McGregor and at that point I resigned from their defence council.

Actually it was just about then that Walter Smith, who had telephoned the players and told them to apologise and keep their heads down, went off on one...and all hell broke loose.

But don't think it's just the players who have gone down for the last time.

While Rangers moved swiftly and decisively to take action against their own players, SFA president George Peat and his crew are adrift on a sea of confusion.

First, they say they want to draw a line under the affair and move on - that's Thursday afternoon - before Peat blows his top at the statement issued by his organisation.

Excuse me, but he's the president. Shouldn't he actually know what his organisation are doing?

And, if he wanted the players sent home, why didn't he do it himself when the story broke on Wednesday morning?

Like Ferguson and McGregor, the bungling SFA were all over the place, but at least the players had an excuse - they were mortal.

I am actually beginning to feel sorry for Burley, who, amid all this insanity, did salvage three points that keep us on course for Cape Town until the new season at least, and who now is being undermined by a president who appointed a chief executive and a manager to handle these very matters.

Meanwhile, the SFA ban the players but fail miserably to look in the mirror at their own miserable inefficiency.

Curious, is it not, that the association could not act efficiently when the players were on their watch but waited until they were returned to Walter Smith, who hesitated not a heartbeat.

What an embarrassing, unholy, undignified, shocking mess.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:42 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I hate the Rangers/Barry bashing from some Scotland fans and the Scotland/Tartan Army bashing from some, but not all, Rangers fans.

So do I, its pathetic. But is is amazing how people listen to the minority. Hence the reason I don't visit the TA board much. I find some of the comments embarrassing....

For what it is worth I have always been a big fan of Ferguson when he played for Scotland. He gave his all when he played. Whole affair is rather sad.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat