The Famine Song

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: The Famine Song

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:42 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 693166.stm

You have to wonder where it is all going to end? You can't sit, you can't smoke, you can't drink, you can't take anything into the ground and next you can't sing. If the SFA are serious about this then they will have to visit every ground in Scotland and listen to what is said and sung. Not supporting the famine song but for ffs... :?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:10 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7693166.stm

You have to wonder where it is all going to end? You can't sit, you can't smoke, you can't drink, you can't take anything into the ground and next you can't sing. If the SFA are serious about this then they will have to visit every ground in Scotland and listen to what is said and sung. Not supporting the famine song but for ffs... :?

Just realised there is more to this song than telling people to go home... :oops:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby John A » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:Just realised there is more to this song than telling people to go home... :oops:

Thats the problem,

Rangers fans started singing and as far as I'm aware still only sing the one line "the famine is over why dont you go home" as a wind up to some Celtic fans love of all things Irish.
But some idiot thought it would be even more of a wind up to include verses to the song, the words of which are totally unaceptable.
As I said as far as I'm aware the verses to the song are not sung at matches.

There are many other instances of teams throughout the country singing songs that "cause offence" to the opposition team,
Aberdeen fans singing songs about Ian Durrants injury
Hibs fans singing about living in Glasgow slums
Celtic fans singing songs about the IRA
fans in England singing songs about the Liverpool fans in the Hysel stadium, and singing about Man. United' plane crash in Munich, there are many many more I am sure.

Rangers and Celtic fans have always and always will try to wind each other up by singing songs that are not pleasant at all
but we now seem to be living in a world where some folk are far to easily offended and I feel in the case of the famine song as long as its only the words "the famine is over why dont you go home" that are sung then its not any worse than many of the songs that are sung at present and what anyone could be charged with for singing these 9 word baffles me slightly.
John A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby CooBoy Troy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 pm

You know, looking in from over here all this sounds quite unbelievable....ridiculous and like something from primary school or the dark ages......

WHAT on earth is it all about...who hates who?

Is it about what church people go to? and what football team they support? why? does the church services coincide with the match kick off'? can some of the supporters not get there in time?

Somebody tried to explain it to me one time but I really have no idea. Is there anyone on here can enlighten me as to why everybody hates everyone else.sure it is only soccer? :? :?

And over here, college football, ie AMERICAN football, games, between colleges in towns y'all over there have never heard of, get crowds of 80,000+ every week, dozens of these games all over the country. Why the big huge deal about 50,000 in Glasgow.

Just what is it all about?
Rollin' with the brothers..............

This IS Texas? right????..........
CooBoy Troy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby paulmcw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:57 pm

CooBoy Troy wrote:sure it is only soccer?

Soccer? ? :?
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat