so the bold tartan army Boo'd GSTQ...

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

so the bold tartan army Boo'd GSTQ...

Postby The modfather » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:11 pm

Whats your views upon this one?
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: so the bold tartan army Boo'd GSTQ...

Postby dr-sanchez » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 pm

not really sure, i dont think its overly shocking but its certainly not called for. not seen any papers today, was there a hooruva uproar and all that?
You again, you b*****d!
dr-sanchez
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:02 pm

The modfather wrote:Whats your views upon this one?

Was at the match and none of the group I was in booed it. It was inevitable that it was going to happen. (and sad that it did)

Can't tar everyone who supports Scotland with the same brush and same can be said for the Northern Ireland supporters last night. Largest away support I have ever seen at Hampden and really added to the atmosphere and lots of good banter but again small sections of the NI fans spoiled bits too.

What's your view Modfather?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Banter between fans is always to be expected, but national anthems should always be respected, in my view.

Ship called Dignity wrote:small sections of the NI fans spoiled bits too.

Care to elaborate?

Cheers, M
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Mary G wrote:Banter between fans is always to be expected, but national anthems should always be respected, in my view.

Ship called Dignity wrote:small sections of the NI fans spoiled bits too.

Care to elaborate?

Cheers, M

Not really, because there were small sections of the Scotland fans who spoiled things too. Not least the numpty three rows up from us who hurled secretarian abuse at a Scotland players a couple of times. :shock:

Totally agree with regards the national anthems and it is sad to see the NI national anthem not being respected.

PS - Mary, were you not there?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:20 pm

Guilty as charged, I am afraid - we had to miss it for some family reasons - I am afraid. Bad form. :(

But all the dates for the qualifiers are in the calendar, and grandparents' birthdays will be rescheduled, if necessary! :)

Cheers
Mary
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The modfather » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Ship called Dignity wrote:
The modfather wrote:Whats your views upon this one?

Was at the match and none of the group I was in booed it. It was inevitable that it was going to happen. (and sad that it did)

Can't tar everyone who supports Scotland with the same brush and same can be said for the Northern Ireland supporters last night. Largest away support I have ever seen at Hampden and really added to the atmosphere and lots of good banter but again small sections of the NI fans spoiled bits too.

What's your view Modfather?

As you say, there is a neanderthal element in every support, as well all know. At international level however, they all unite and the problems multiply. It all goes back to the sectarianism arguement again, and a lot of that is from fans of teams outside the "ugly sisters" as im aware that they are referred to by those of non old firm mindset. Think the problem with the game was basically the Northern Ireland fans are proud to be part of the united kingom and so many scots are not.

But the booing was ridiculous, and utterly embarrassing

Political statement my arse
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:36 pm

modfather, if its not political what is it? I think it was entirely political. I've never heard another anthem booed as much as that at Hampden so its not as if we are noted for being disrespectful.

Obviously there is more than one issue surrounding this game and for me the sectarianism rather than the booing of an anthem was sadder. I'm glad to say it was only isolated incidents but was clearly heard on more than one occassion just behind us as ScD said.

Just so the readers know what we are referring to - Scott Brown was on the receiving end from a clown in an NI top and kilt in the North Stand for the fact he plays for Celtic I imagine. Likewise, I am led to believe the NI players were abused by fans in the home end for being a particlar religion, so I agree we must be careful in criticising opposition fans.

I though the NI fans were great - in the pub before and at Hampden. Personally I saw or heard no incidences of sectarianism from the NI fans although I'm not saying there weren't any. Some said they were booing Celtic players and applauding Rangers players in the Scotland team which is probably borderline. Regardless of the underlying reasons for this it would be a bit harsh to criticise them for that.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:10 pm

I wish I had the time to relay to you in full the story of when in 1987 we played the Republic of Ireland at Hampden. I was in the north stand, section M, which I thought would be good 'neutral', Scottish territory. I took along an English friend - who loves his football - and who was working in Glasgow at the time. He is now an esteemed international journalist for the BBC and it is an experience that has stayed with him ever since, I think ;-) Schizophrenia didn't start to describe the behaviour of some fans!

You don't need to be too smart to work out what the neanderthals had to say that night about the individual performances and team selection - especially the substitutions... http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/match_detai ... chid=57878. Scottish players who had never played for either Celtic or Rangers (eg Strachan) were singled out for hideous abuse from a couple of Scottish fans right beside us. As was Roxburgh. That we lost at home in an important qualifier did not help.

The other circumstances were fascinating. Butcher was at Rangers then, he played (as captain?) for England against Spain that evening, and they were winning at half time. That was the only time some of the 'Scottish' fans cheered.

The whole story is best told in the pub ... it takes a good twenty minutes. :-)
But it shows how then - as now - there is still some way to go, and growing up to do, before all Scottish fans learn how to be happy in their own skins as Scots and Scotland supporters.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Sport Chit Chat