Old firm monopoly

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Old firm monopoly

Postby Trapper » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:59 pm

No not a new board game based on scottish footballs most brass necked money grabbers, This is the story of thier latest attempt to squeeze even more money out of the rest of the SPL.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 514604.stm

If it wasn't true I would have laughed at the cheek! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Old firm monopoly

Postby Hail to the Thief » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:26 pm

"There's an easy solution ...

Dont give the OF the tickets and sell them via Ticketmaster instead.

Lets see how the OF supporters take to £1.50 booking charge and £4.50 postage charge.

And lets see how the OF enjoy the backlash from all the supporters clubs that would end up missing out on tickets because they were now on sale to anyone and everyone that was able to phone the Ticketmaster Hotline.

They might reconsider their 5% charge after a few games of the chaos that this solution would cause."

Took this from one of the Hibs message boards, seems to be the best idea so far to counter it. Can't see the SPL standing up to the OF, especially if some of the smaller clubs who rely heavily on the OF games give in to the pressure. The probable outcome will be an allowance for every team to charge the admin fee for away tickets, thus avoiding bias claims but blatently favouring the OF given the difference in tickets sold. Though it would be interesting if they charged each other for OF games...
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:42 pm

I must be missing something here, surely it's going to be the Old Firm fans that get fleeced by this? It's always going to be passed straight on to the supporters one way or the other. Non OF teams hike the price up for OF fans when they come to visit, so if you look at it from a slightly different perspective this is just another way of fleecing the Old Firm.

Do Ticketmaster sell Hearts tickets for free? No they don't, so why should Celtic or Rangers do it? Especially when they are shifting more tickets for somewhere like Rugby Park than Kilmarnock will! Celtic/Rangers have to staff their ticket offices, deal with the phone calls, dispatch tickets, etc and all the revenue ends up at Rugby Park. From a commercial perspective it makes total sense, I'm surprised all clubs have let each other away with it for so long.

....... but I did say at the beginning that I might be missing something. :?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:52 pm

Either you are missing something or I am ( and if I am I apologise ) But the point here is that the old firm are trying to get the home team to pay the extra 5 percent to them. Not the fans necesarily, although if it happens I'm sure the home teams will put up ther tickets by 5 percent to recoup the expense, so the fans will suffer.

good enough for them though.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hail to the Thief » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 am

Trapper wrote:Either you are missing something or I am ( and if I am I apologise ) But the point here is that the old firm are trying to get the home team to pay the extra 5 percent to them. Not the fans necesarily, although if it happens I'm sure the home teams will put up ther tickets by 5 percent to recoup the expense, so the fans will suffer.

good enough for them though.

Thats the way I see it. The home team gets to keep all the earnings from away ticket sales at present, but now the OF want a cut of that. Chances are the prices might be passed onto the supporters, but it would need to be all fans, as clubs have to charge the same prices for home and away supporters.

The ticketmaster idea would be a method of the home team selling the away tickets, thus avoiding passing them on to the away club to sell.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Trapper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Glad to see Falkirk taking the lead on this issue!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falkirk F.C. have decided that all tickets for the forthcoming SPL match with Rangers on Saturday, August 9, will be sold locally…>>

The decision was made after both Rangers and Celtic stated an intent to impose a five per cent levy on the tickets they sold to their own supporters for away matches throughout season 2008-09.

Falkirk FC, however, have resisted the move by the Old Firm to charge for providing such a service and, in a change to normal procedure, will facilitate the sale of North and North East Stand tickets to away supporters.

Managing director George Craig explained the change in procedure, “Since we returned to the SPL in season 2005-06, it was always the preference of all concerned that the away club would facilitate the sale of tickets to their own supporters."

"Recently, along with all other clubs in the league, we received letters from Rangers and Celtic informing us that if we wished them to continue to provide this service then a five per cent handling fee would be charged to the home club.”

"Over a season this would mean that a considerable amount of Falkirk FC gate revenue, which has already been allocated to the playing budget, would have to be re-directed.Therefore, we have decided not to take up this offer and we will in future co-ordinate the sale of tickets for home matches involving the Old Firm. We also hope that by having tickets available for the away sections we will minimise the instances of home tickets being bought by visiting supporters, which has caused problems in the past."

The Club has now teamed up with The Falkirk Herald, their official media partners, to ensure that the bulk of tickets for the opening game of the new campaign will be made available to Rangers supporters who live in the local area.The sale will initially be by postal application.

This week’s edition of The Falkirk Herald (available from usual outlets on Thursday, July 24) will include a special application coupon.
Away fans who wish to attend the match are asked to complete the coupon and return it to the club by 5 p.m. on Thursday, July 31.

Applications can be made for a maximum of four tickets and FULLY COMPLETED* coupons should be returned to the Stadium, accompanied by the correct remittance and a stamped addressed envelope.

They will be processed on receipt and successful applicants will receive their tickets in the post in good time for the match. Should there be over subscription then any unsuccessful applicants will receive a full refund.

However, any tickets which remain unsold following the postal phase of the sale will go on general sale on Tuesday, August 5, at 10 a.m. from the Stadium ticket office. The general sale will close at 3 p.m. on Friday, August 8.

Prices

North – Adult £24 Concession £14

North East – Adult £18 Concession £11
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby king of kilcousland » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:42 am

Do Ticketmaster sell Hearts tickets for free? No they don't, so why should Celtic or Rangers do it? Especially when they are shifting more tickets for somewhere like Rugby Park than Kilmarnock will! Celtic/Rangers have to staff their ticket offices, deal with the phone calls, dispatch tickets, etc and all the revenue ends up at Rugby Park. From a commercial perspective it makes total sense, I'm surprised all clubs have let each other away with it for so long.

As far as I'm aware all clubs in the spl will have to staff their tet offices, deal with phone calls, dispatch tickets, etc. You dont just turn up at pittodrie for example on a saturday at 3 o'clock and pay at the turnstile,so should every club then introduce this five percent charge?

Good on Falkirk, hope evry club follows their lead.
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:50 am

king of kilcousland wrote:....should every club then introduce this five percent charge?

KoK - if you re-read my post you'll have seen this bit.....

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:..... I'm surprised ALL clubs have let each other away with it for so long.

The point I was trying to make is that no other commercial organisation would sell your tickets for free, so why should you expect another club to do it?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The modfather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:51 am

They are quite right in doing so. By this, they are highlighting the shambolic running of our club
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Since there is two ugly sisters is it not a duoploy? :wink: :lol:

KoK - Now, you know I'll get a dig in where I can about the OF but on this one we'd probably benefit from the poposal. We regularly sell about 4,500-5,000 tickets for Tannadice via the Pittodrie TO, whereas Utd will be lucky to take 1,000 north.

Same applies to games with the other clubs although not to the same degree.

Still, it won't come to that, as Falkirk have already shown there are other ways to sell away tickets.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Trapper » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Since there is two ugly sisters is it not a duoploy?

Good point Hume!! :lol:

Although to be honest I started thinking of them as being one entity long ago. As someone once said to me "Theyre just different sides of the same shitey coin".

As regards the dons doing it to other clubs I would be just as vehemently opposed to my own club doing as to the old infirm.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:22 pm

aye you're right, a cartel then!!

..and I agree with you about it being a nonsense, was just making a point about our sizeable away support.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Jambo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Glad to see that hearts have joined Falkirk and have also chosen not to go along with the Ugly Sisters idea. By no means do I agree with everything that Romanov says and does, but I do agree with him that the Old Firm have far to much power in scottish football.

The old firm should realise that it would be pretty boring if they were to play each other every week!! They keep going on about how scottish football is not competitive enough and then try to reduce the other teams ability to compete with them.
Jambo
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ranald » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I see the Dons have reached an agreement with the Old Firm:

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/775733?UserKey=0

Basically, Aberdeen add £1 onto the price of South Stand tickets for all fans for games when the OF come to visit to cover the 5% being asked for. We then refund it on tickets bought by our fans for the next non-OF home game. And we get 5% from sales of tickers to Dons fans at Ibrox and Parkhead.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby king of kilcousland » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm

still think we should've just told them to stick it.

Why have the evening express got a picture of northern ireland fans next to the story? Maybe they had a story about the upcoming friendly with scotland and got the pictures mixed up? :?
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat