Euro Flops

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Euro Flops

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:17 pm

So, with all the talk of who is going to light up the competition this year, who do we all feel has let the side down and bombed miserably?

Personally, I think that Cristiano Ronaldo has. Once again he goes missing and bottles it when it comes to crunch time. No doubt he is an amazing player, just don't think he is anywhere close to being spoken about in the same breath as that of Zidane or other such players. Not yet at least.

Claude Makelele, too. I had the discussion at training the other night and couldn't believe how overrated he is. He gives nothing to a team, a glorified Neil Lennon. I am sick and tired of hearing commentators say how important he is to a team and makes every team click. The way people talk about him makes you think he is one of the best in the world. If I was to pick a World XI, he wouldn't even make my reserve team.

There are many more I am sure, just felt I needed to rant about them two in particular.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Euro Flops

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:10 am

In the first Scotland France game Makalele was brilliant, he covered so much ground (by running, not cos hes fat) and was always available for a pass. You need to remember he's 35 years old, and he actually retired a few years ago, just Domenech kept picking him and then FIFA said if he didn't play they would fine or suspend him. Domenech is an idiot, he didnt pick Pires because of his star sign, and didnt play Frey, Mexes or Trezeguet just because they play in Serie A. Worst. Coach. Ever.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Euro Flops

Postby Hail to the Thief » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Personally don't think it's a coincidence that Real Madrid went downhill when Makelele left, he allowed the likes of Zidane to play. Was also a major part of the Chelsea team under Mourinho, the lynchpin of the 4-5-1. Could even be argued that Celtic suffered without Lennon this season, with Brown and Donati not looking the part. I'd bet Brown would have had a better season if he had someone like Lennon alongside him.

Digressing from the point a bit though. As said Makelele is getting on a bit, and I didn't think they needed both Toulalan and him covering, especially against the likes of Romania.

In terms of overrated players, or rather ones who didn't perform to the pre-tournament hype, the likes of Toni and Gomez must be mentioned, though both have time to turn it around. Expected more from Benzema and Fabregas, though the latter hasn't featured enough.

In fairness it's a lot of pressure on them, when they get only a couple of games to make such an impact. With a couple of the above, a poor first game leads to a crash in confidence, and they couldn't seem to have recovered. Even when you look at the likes of Ronaldo, who scored once and had about 3 assists in 3 games, and yet he is being criticised.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Sport Chit Chat