Hibs v Aberdeen 15/11/08

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Hibs v Aberdeen 15/11/08

Postby TYM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:41 pm

Just floating this as an idea to guage interest at the moment.

A few years ago I organised a bus to a Hibs v Aberdeen match at Easter Road and we all had a great day out. The only problem was that because of Coach Driver's Hours, the time was restricted and we only just made it in time for kick off. I had thought of one day doing an Aberdeen v Hibs match which would involve an overnight in Aberdeen. However, the dates have never suited and even this season, October 4th at Pittodrie, is too close to the Scotland v Norway fixture the following week. So would anyone be up for November 15th at Easter Road with an overnight in Edinburgh on the 15th (or the 14th ) to get around the problem of driver's hours?

Mid November is a good time, hopefully no weather problems. Not too close to Christmas or New Year either and hopefully both teams will still harbour hopes of a decent season at that time :lol:

This will not be confined to supporters of these to clubs as any football fans will be welcome. In fact, other halves would also be able to go and spend a day and night in Edinburgh thereby making it a very sociable outing. :D

Your thoughts please.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Hibs v Aberdeen 15/11/08

Postby Ninja Mania » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:00 pm

I have a 7 seater Tommy, that you could almost fill, you can borrow it. :) :)
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Your'e a cheeky B Ninja Mania!!

Dont worry TYM, I would love to go and see Hibs play Aberdeen at Easter Road....not saying I would be able to go but I certainly would enjoy the bus trip, match and occasion.....

And it would remind me of the last bus trip of yours I went on... to see George Best play for Hibs against Falkirk....Oct/Nov 1980 I think..just the 28 years ago :? "seems like yesterday, but it was long ago" as Bob Seger sings in Against The Wind.

I tried and failed to find the exact date of that game on the net, but did notice the George Best played 25 times for Hibs in 11 months....that is a lot of games.....would that be like Gazza signing nowadays? maybe not quite but similar, I suppose.

I remember lots and lots from that trip....one thing was all the Hibs fans and officials being mad at being told by a transfer tribunal to pay Arbroath £35k for one Terry Wilson! where is he now I wonder....dont think he was as success.

I also remember what prompted that bus trip....a real classy show of generosity by yourself TYM...never forgotten by me and many others I am sure.

Chesser inn, dancing there on the fancy disco floor with flashing lights in squares underneath, Paula Cairns I didn't dance with her!, Gordon Rae, Arthur Duncan, Henry Sillars, Bukta strips......etc etc....just a very good time indeed.

yep, seems like yesterday but it was long ago............ :(
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hail to the Thief » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:29 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:And it would remind me of the last bus trip of yours I went on... to see George Best play for Hibs against Falkirk....Oct/Nov 1980 I think..just the 28 years ago :? "seems like yesterday, but it was long ago" as Bob Seger sings in Against The Wind.

I tried and failed to find the exact date of that game on the net, but did notice the George Best played 25 times for Hibs in 11 months....that is a lot of games.....would that be like Gazza signing nowadays? maybe not quite but similar, I suppose.

http://www.hibs.co.uk/data/index.php?&t ... r_type=ASC

11/10/1980 would maybe have been the game you were talking about. Not that I can remember it right enough. :wink:
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Mageenga » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Im in Glasgow myself, but i would certainly be up for meeting the bus on the way through if that would be allright?

No doubt there will still be a certain level of importance attached to the game.......Hibs will be pushing for Europe and the Dons will be fighting relegation!!!!!

Mageenga :D
Mageenga
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby king of kilcousland » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

Boooooooooo Mageenga! where did you appear fae!?

I also will be in Glasgowat that point, but would be willing to chip in for the bus o the way through, dont often get to see the dons play diddy teams! 8)
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Hume » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am

Easy Mageenga!!

TYM, would be good to get this arranged again as, despite Ninja's cheap dig the (big) bus was pretty full last time if I remember. There was also Ross going to Firhill that day I think. Personally its probably easier if I just travel through myself again but I'm sure there will be a fair bit of interest, especially mentioning it this early.

Having said that its getting a bit close to a certain 'due date' for me so I might have to miss out.

On the driver's hours thing, although I'm not sure of the details, would it be possible to have a different driver take the bus from Ardrishaig - Edinburgh and back and that way shorten their day be a couple of hours +? This is pretty much the same as doing Ctown - Glasgow. Maybe the cost of having a two-leg journey (Ctown - Ashaig / Ashaig - Eburgh ) would be prohibitive but there might be more interest in this than an enforced overnight stay? Perhaps even that wouldn't solve the problem though.

Anyway, hope you hear back from plenty folk.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:01 am

Mageenga wrote:Im in Glasgow myself, but i would certainly be up for meeting the bus on the way through if that would be allright?

No doubt there will still be a certain level of importance attached to the game.......Hibs will be pushing for Europe and the Dons will be fighting relegation!!!!!

Mageenga :D

See youre another one of these wallopers who puts their name at the bottom of the post, when its already at the top. Clownhead. Dons have never been relegated, Hibs have and fairly recently too. No real point here just pointing out the facts.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja Mania » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Hume wrote: despite Ninja's cheap dig the (big) bus was pretty full last time if I remember.

I,ll have you know, that that was quite an expensive dig I gave TYM, because he knows me from old. :wink:

Oh, and if there were 3 other teams in the premier league I would support, those 2 or not 1 off them. :lol:
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:36 pm

I could have started a new thread I suppose but is anyone heading to the SCP semi final next Saturday?

No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Seven of us. GGTTH
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

Enjoy the final TYM - sure that will now be some day!

Hibs were more dangerous up front than Aberdeen, other than between maybe minutes 50 and 65. As soon as we equalised we retreated again, when we should have been going for a winner.

Clear foul by the fella who won the high ball in the build up to Griffiths goal though ! :wink:

Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby TYM » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:24 pm

At 1-0 I was fairly confident we would win. At 1-1 I was equally sure we would lose but as you say, it seemed as if Aberdeen then sat back, maybe thinking that they would automatically go on and win it.

Now if you said that O'Connor was maybe offside when McPake won his header then you may have had a point but can never agree with you on the header.

The next 5 weeks are going to be almost unbearable. Could it be that one of the worst Hibs teams in history can win the Scottish Cup? It would almost be an insult to the memory Turnbull's Tornadoes and The Famous Five. Hearts are rightly favourites but this is a game of football and who knows what will happen.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Sport Chit Chat