Is this the worst ever euro champs? (Question answered)

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: Is this the worst ever euro champs? (Question answered)

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:45 pm

Aye, fair does. I thought it was onside, but I can see all the other points of view. I didnt mean that you said Dutch SHOULD suffer though, I just thought that it might not be fair to them if the goal hadn't stood. To be honest though, its a bit of a moot point because Italy were rotten in front of goal, and if you don't score goals you don't deserve to win games. (yes that is aimed at all the Chelsea fans who think having a lot of rubbish shots from 85 yrds = deserving to win)
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Same feeling here. My initial statement was also, that I was happy to see the italiens eat their own medicine (due to a arguable referee decision). I still dont understand the fairness in excluding the offside rule, because a man is lying injured behind the line, but I like the outcome: the most defensive team loses the match. :wink:
For once they didn't succeed with their destructive (for the game) tactic coming in to the game. :D

Lets hope for some cracking ball tonight; here to 7 goals between Spain and Russia :D
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby joe_ruesgen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
Oh and since you put the question mark next to his name, its sneijder.[/quote

It's actually Sneijder...see me after class.

PS i hate Holland, they make me want to eat my own face, but I have to call it the way I saw it.[/quote]

Don't eat your face, not a good idea and I don't think your face would taste very nice.

joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby FACEMAN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Man wiped out ,lying on deck= inactive.Goal was off side ,UEFA went to their" rule book" and came up with an excuse to stick up for their referee's poor decision. :!: :?

When did this rule of stepping off the park come in any way.I remember the umbro cup in America where Brazil were playing and a man did just that .As in he stepped off the park so as to not be flagged off side while his team mate scored. Goal stood and no yellow card. I know its a different situation but same issue
I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!
FACEMAN
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby joe_ruesgen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Was just watching ESPN there and they were discussing the issue of the RvN goal. FIFA released a statement interpreting the rule which was something like: the player is only deemed inactive if they receive permission from the referee to leave the field, therefore as Panucci never received this permission, he was classed as being active and still part of the game.

It is very much a grey area and I'm sure they will clear it up in the next couple days, it's not that it happens every game anyway and I think that too much is being made of it.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:36 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:Was just watching ESPN there and they were discussing the issue of the RvN goal. FIFA released a statement interpreting the rule which was something like: the player is only deemed inactive if they receive permission from the referee to leave the field, therefore as Panucci never received this permission, he was classed as being active and still part of the game.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And how could he ever be possible to foresee being pushed from behind and thus go and ask the referee in advance. The man was flatened in pain, but still supposed to go and ask kindly to be considered inactive. What a joke :shock:

Seems like UEFA is way out, looking to protect the referees. Bring in the video instead of pretending the referee never can be wrong
highlander wannabee
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 pm

bakbjerg wrote:Bring in the video instead of pretending the referee never can be wrong

Not sure what that would have gained you last night bakbjerg, the video ref would surely have arrived at the same decision. If you go by how it works in other sports, the referee would have had to have overuled the linesman's decision not to flag, to check with the video ref, who would then have overuled the referee. Same decision. I've said previously you can disagree with the rule, but the decision itself was fundamentally correct.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:
bakbjerg wrote:Bring in the video instead of pretending the referee never can be wrong

Not sure what that would have gained you last night bakbjerg, the video ref would surely have arrived at the same decision. If you go by how it works in other sports, the referee would have had to have overuled the linesman's decision not to flag, to check with the video ref, who would then have overuled the referee. Same decision. I've said previously you can disagree with the rule, but the decision itself was fundamentally correct.

This point was not related to last night only. My point was, that since the referee can’t be right every time, and especially not sure in every decision, then why not take the consequence, and bring in video as support for the referee in general, instead of keeping up the appearance that the referee is always right :?:
highlander wannabee
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hail to the Thief » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 pm

FACEMAN wrote:Man wiped out ,lying on deck= inactive.Goal was off side ,UEFA went to their" rule book" and came up with an excuse to stick up for their referee's poor decision. :!: :?

When did this rule of stepping off the park come in any way.I remember the umbro cup in America where Brazil were playing and a man did just that .As in he stepped off the park so as to not be flagged off side while his team mate scored. Goal stood and no yellow card. I know its a different situation but same issue

Its a different issue given that it is an offensive player off the pitch. Provided they were not active in play they would not be offside, though the offside rule seems to change every season so this may not have been the interpretation for that incident.

Good decision in the end, though can't help but think that the assistant referee got the decision right for the wrong reasons, thinking RVN was level with the last defender on the pitch.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Hail to the Thief wrote:Good decision in the end, though can't help but think that the assistant referee got the decision right for the wrong reasons, thinking RVN was level with the last defender on the pitch.

Was kinda thinkin that myself :wink:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:58 am

joe_ruesgen wrote:
Oh and since you put the question mark next to his name, its sneijder.[/quote

It's actually Sneijder...see me after class.

PS i hate Holland, they make me want to eat my own face, but I have to call it the way I saw it.

Don't eat your face, not a good idea and I don't think your face would taste very nice.

...[/quote]

I dont use capitals, reminds me of capitalism and thats bad. Im away noo to see if I can find highlights of the Spain game. See if anything interesting happened. :wink:

Also the rule mightve come into effect to eliminate situations like the one you mentioned Coo.

Edit: Well it was interesting that Mark Lawrenson talked of Fernando Torres' five yard simple pass to Villa for Spains first goal as if it was the greatest pass ever. Just because they cant masticate (replacement for similar sounding word) over England, theyre going to do it over English based players. Every single commentator on the BBC and ITV should be sacked. They are awful. I also said to someone the other day that I thought Villa would score more goals than Torres, but I didnt change my Fantasy Football team to reflect that opinion. Bollocks, too late now.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 pm

It was 30 years ago today...

June 11, 1978.
Mendoza, Argentina.
Archie Gemmill scored to put us 3-1 up against the Dutch.
Seeing how the Dutch are playing at Euro2008, might be time to bring Archie out of retirement for the World Cup qualifiers! :lol:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:08 pm

John Motson on the BBC wrote:International football of the highest, highest quality!

Thank goodness the Dutch won't have to rely on a counter-attacking game when they play us, so I think we've got the measure of them. Let's see how they cope with the artistic prowess of Gary Caldwell :!: :wink:

Sensational game of football tonight - I tried to be balanced and because I wanted the Dutch to win, I thought it was only fair to drink copious amounts of French wine. Role on the France vs Italy game - or Wine vs. Peroni as it will be known in Harm 'al Sheik.

Wee Toon Ajax - as you know, I have many Dutch colleagues and hold them in the same high regard as yourself :!: - I can only assume it's unbearable over there at the mo:?: :? I'll be scared to speak to them on Monday :(

What a goal by Sneijder :shock:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:04 pm

As i stated earlier, I do not like the Dutch. However there were two attractive Nederland females sitting next to me in the bar this fine morning. Imagine my happiness when they were delighted to hear me ask them why they call themselves Holland when in fact Holland is the name of two provinces in the Netherlands, North and South Holland. Imagine their disgust when almost in the same breath I managed to tell them how much I hate Netherlands. DOH DOH DOH DOH DOH. Tomorrow morn is Sweden, I hope I learn from my mistakes. I couldnt even redeem myself when I said Netherlands would score two more goals when it was 2-0. She just smiled and held my hand. No wait, that was Pulp.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:45 am

You are turning into Gen Jack...Juan Face....

but ffs what you doing annoying the dutch girls........you shoulda LUVVVVVVED Holland!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat