Is this the worst ever euro champs? (Question answered)

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Is this the worst ever euro champs? (Question answered)

Postby Trapper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:40 pm

And more importantly is this the future of football? It seems that more and more the fear of losing a goal overcomes the desire to score one! Apart from spells of the germany poland game and possibly spells of the croatia austria game its been pretty dire stuff. Maybe my expextations are just too high and I suppose watching as a "nuetral" doesnt help :( .

I just dont remeber feeling such an anti climax at tournaments when I was younger as I have at the last world cup and now this championships!!

Edit: This question has now been answered. After the holland Italy game tonight, the answer is probably no. :lol:
Last edited by Trapper on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Is this the worst ever euro champs?

Postby Ranald » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 pm

I thought the Portugal game on Saturday night wasn't bad and enjoyed the Germany game last night. Didn't see the opening game and only saw bits of Croatia last night so can't say much about those games. France v R(omani)angers tonight was absolutely dire though.

Teams are usually pretty cagey in their opening games tho so I live in hope that it'll get better as we go on, at least until the knockout stages when the REALLY defensive stuff will start :(
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby FACEMAN » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm

Have to agree on the france game being dire.France lacking in ideas against 10 men behind the ball.Greece won the last one playing thay tactics.....could Romania be next :lol:
Its still very early to be calling it "the worst championships" but time will tell
I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!
FACEMAN
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Trapper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Aye probably time will tell. I think I'm just getting scunnered with football in general, it seems to be getting less and less entertaining the more and more proffesional it gets. Maybe it's just a phase it's going through!

At times like these it's starting to make sense that in croatia, spain and other european countries sprts like handball, futsal amd water polo are growing rapidly as spectator sports while football s declining!

Mind you this holland italy game just got interesting! Maybe my fears are unfounded after all!! :)
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trapper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm

After writing all that holland just scored one of the best goals in a long while! I think I'll stick to draughts fae noo on! :roll:
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Is this the worst ever euro champs? (Question answered)

Postby Ranald » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:06 pm

The BBC pundits in particular seem to be going out of their way to persuade everyone that it's the worst ever. Hansen even said last night that he wished his contract had ended so that he didn't have to sit through any more games. Of course there's no way they've all been lined up to say that just because England aren't there. Isn't there? :roll:
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Happy (for the game) to see the italiens had to take their own medicin last night. :lol:
Remember last world cup, where a strange decision from the referee against the Australiens, helped them survive the group stage. After last night, they'll probably blaim the referee for missing the offside, that gave the Dutch the first goal and the advantage :?:
highlander wannabee
http://www.bakbjerg.com (private)
http://www.insu.biz (work)
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Would have to agree with Ranald that it's early days. Last nights game between Netherlands and Italy was superb. Watched the game live then when I watched the highlights later - Italy had a number of really good chances.

I have to say given that the linesman now appears to have been correct with RvN's first goal, I'd say that would then rank as one of the most fantastic decision's ever i.e. we're saying that he took into account that Pannucci was lying off the field of play, Pannuci was injured after colliding with his own keeper and is therefore still considered to be 'active', the initial shot was struck an almighty distance from the linesman, it came thru a ruck of players and arrived at the feet of RvN to deflect into the goal. And he did all of this instantly! :shock:

Whether you agree with the actual rule or not, the fact that the linesman did infact do all of the above - I say fair play to him. I think that's the same crew who refereed the CL final, and they were impressive in that also.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 pm

Just strange how a man injured and lying on his back 2 yards behind the goal line can be influencing the game, but it seems the Italian coach took it like a man: "The referee made a mistake. He's human."
highlander wannabee
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:10 pm

As I say you can argue whether or not the rule makes sense, however if that is the rule and that's how he interpreted it - then it makes for a damn fine decision in my eyes.

What would have happened had Panucci been on the post and, just before the ball is struck by Schnieder(?), steps off the field of play, to ensure that RvN is off-side. This isn't allowed - he is still considered active. The linesman therefore has to assume the player is not injured, has left the field of play without the consent of the referee, therefore is still considered active, hence goal.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:As I say you can argue whether or not the rule makes sense, however if that is the rule and that's how he interpreted it - then it makes for a damn fine decision in my eyes.

What would have happened had Panucci been on the post and, just before the ball is struck by Schnieder(?), steps off the field of play, to ensure that RvN is off-side. This isn't allowed - he is still considered active. The linesman therefore has to assume the player is not injured, has left the field of play without the consent of the referee, therefore is still considered active, hence goal.

Yes thats considered ungentlemanly conduct. What would happen there is the goal would be given and Panucci would be booked. I didnt see the game live (theyre on at 2am and 445am and not many are on cooncil tv), so I knew of the hooplah before seeing it. I have to say, and Trapper can back me up cos i said to him on msn as soon as i saw it, that I thought Panucci was playing him on. I always knew the BBC and ITV commentators knew bugger all.

Oh and since you put the question mark next to his name, its sneijder.
Last edited by A Horse called Juan Face on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ranald » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:What would have happened had Panucci been on the post and, just before the ball is struck by Schnieder(?), steps off the field of play, to ensure that RvN is off-side. This isn't allowed - he is still considered active. The linesman therefore has to assume the player is not injured, has left the field of play without the consent of the referee, therefore is still considered active, hence goal.

Good comparison. Going by the rules, a player who falls, steps or slips off the field of play is adjudged to be "on the goal line" and therefore active in the game. I think that means an injured player would only be considered to be legitimately out of the game when he is actually receiving treatment.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:As I say you can argue whether or not the rule makes sense, however if that is the rule and that's how he interpreted it - then it makes for a damn fine decision in my eyes. ..

It appears that this interpretation is motivated to avoid players step outside the backline with intention, but that wasn't what I saw on the screen. Panucci was pushed unintended from behind with such strength that he landed two yards behind the line, and was still lying on his back when the goal went in.
According to this interpretation, as long as a player is lying injured here waiting treatment, the off side rule is not in play for the opponents. Not fair to me :shock:
highlander wannabee
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:57 pm

See what youre saying, but the referee is the one that deems whether youre injured or not. Plus why should Netherlands have suffered when it was Panuccis own player who knocked him off the pitch? PS i hate Holland, they make me want to eat my own face, but I have to call it the way I saw it.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bakbjerg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:16 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:See what youre saying, but the referee is the one that deems whether youre injured or not..
Jaaps, and thereby all these referee discussions. Why not avoid most of these decision-doubts by accepting video-support for the referees, just like some other sports :?:

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Plus why should Netherlands have suffered when it was Panuccis own player who knocked him off the pitch? ...
I didn't say that the Dutch should suffer, I just saif it seemed unfair that the offside rule is out of play, as long as a player is lying injured behind the line.

And to me it doesn't make any difference who is to blame the injury. If two players from the same team collides and get injured, which other rules should then also be put out of play. Should they perhaps not be allowed to put in any substitutes either just because they where themselves to blaim :?:
highlander wannabee
bakbjerg
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat