Celtic Champion

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Celtic Champion

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Celtic winning the league for the third time in a row. You beauty! Always thought that they would win it due to Rangers fixture pile up. What's everyone else's opinions? Too many games for Rangers, or Celtic just too strong on the run in?

Hail, Hail!
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Celtic Champion

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Well the obvious fixture pile up doesn't help, but Rangers have just not been good enough. Referee's aside I don't get how Celtic ask for a postponement after the death of a former player, but not after the death of a man who literally lived and breathed Celtic. Obviously a petty argument when looking at the tragedies but it's baffling.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Im not posting anything on here that makes me sound like im gloating, but I will say this, back in March I put my money where my mouth was, and now all I can do is hope the blue noses pay up.

Well done Strachan, you stand along side Big Jock for these 3 titles. Nuff said.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu May 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Stone Cold aka Doags Bs wrote:Obviously a petty argument .......

Obviously not that petty that you chose STILL to mention it :roll: :roll:

Stone Cold - are you therefore saying you would rather Celtic had the Dundee Utd game postponed to next Tuesday (?) and took that on knowing all they had to do was lose by less than 6-0 at Tannadice to become Champions? To be honest, Rangers would have been well within their rights to ask for the game to be postponed due to Tommy Burns passing - it's fair to say that his death affected Smith, McCoist and especially Kenny McDowell as much as it did any person at Parkhead.

Anyway, at the end of the day, every team played 38 games and the team who scored the most goals (equal) and conceded the least won the league - in my opinion (admittedly slightly biased) they also played the best football.

Rangers have had an absolutely incredible season, you've seen the damage they've done with hee-haw cash, I wonder what they will be able to do with £10-£15m during the summer :shock: I'm sure next year will be an even better one for Rangers.

Finally, I've just watched the post-match interview with Walter Smith, and I must heartily congratualte him in the way he conducted himself - he we a perfect gentleman, offered very little in the way of excuses, and generally conducted himself in an impeccable manner. Much respect Mr Smith, much respect - you are indeed a credit to your football club.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Fri May 23, 2008 12:09 am

You don't find it strange they required that game postponed, but not this one? At the end of the day Celtic won and it's done.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby giantredwood » Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Finally, I've just watched the post-match interview with Walter Smith, and I must heartily congratualte him in the way he conducted himself - he we a perfect gentleman, offered very little in the way of excuses, and generally conducted himself in an impeccable manner. Much respect Mr Smith, much respect - you are indeed a credit to your football club.

Walter Smith , the voice of treason. The man who blatantly breached his contract with the national team and abandoned his post in the middle of the most promising campaign Scotland have had for many years. Should have been sued for breach of contract!!
giantredwood
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Walt Jabsco » Fri May 23, 2008 9:05 am

giantredwood wrote:
Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Finally, I've just watched the post-match interview with Walter Smith, and I must heartily congratualte him in the way he conducted himself - he we a perfect gentleman, offered very little in the way of excuses, and generally conducted himself in an impeccable manner. Much respect Mr Smith, much respect - you are indeed a credit to your football club.

Walter Smith , the voice of treason. The man who blatantly breached his contract with the national team and abandoned his post in the middle of the most promising campaign Scotland have had for many years. Should have been sued for breach of contract!!

Congratulations on Celtic winning the league. It is over 38 games and they did win the last 7. So much as it pains to say this the best team always wins the league.

Giant redwood, I find your post amusing. The famous tartan army did not want Walter Smith, they wanted Strachan. The SFA did not give him the contract extension he wanted. What would you have done?
Walt Jabsco
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby paulmcw » Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 am

Stone Cold aka Doags Bs wrote:You don't find it strange they required that game postponed, but not this one? At the end of the day Celtic won and it's done.

Who died when the gretna game got postponed? ,,,,,nuff said!

a cup that nobody cares about and a scottish cup, (which is not in the bag, yet!) is the reward for terrible tactics all season!!!

celtic had a chance of winning the league when brown and donati was replaced by harltley and robson!

Hail Hail!
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby SYDNEY.B » Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 am

MON THE HOOPS
SYDNEY.B
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ranald » Fri May 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Stone Cold aka Doags Bs wrote:You don't find it strange they required that game postponed, but not this one? At the end of the day Celtic won and it's done.

I'd imagine they didn't ask this time because there wasn't any chance of it being granted. Better not to ask than to ask and be turned down. No way could the SPL have given any postponement in the light of what they said to Rangers.
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mary G » Fri May 23, 2008 5:39 pm

More crucially in my view was that TB's passing was fully expected. We all knew it was imminent. And his illness was well-known.

Phil O'Donnel's untimely death was unexpected, and initially unexplained. That was accompanied by genuine shock around the country. Combined with the fact that it happened to a young player - in the middle of a game.

So the reactions were always going to be different, given the different circumstances.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri May 23, 2008 6:42 pm

A win for attractive football - well done Celtic.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby The modfather » Fri May 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Ranald wrote:

I'd imagine they didn't ask this time because there wasn't any chance of it being granted. Better not to ask than to ask and be turned down. No way could the SPL have given any postponement in the light of what they said to Rangers.

People wont like this. but there again the truth hurts

As if the sfa would have said no to the games being put off, celtic had already caused enough song and dance about the season being extended.

They didnt as it suited them to play the game, sad but true
Last edited by The modfather on Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The modfather
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 pm

SYDNEY.B wrote:MON THE HOOPS

How about you give credit where its due, to the dons
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Fri May 23, 2008 11:25 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
SYDNEY.B wrote:MON THE HOOPS

How about you give credit where its due, to the dons

fair enough...'MON THE DONS!!!

...happy now?
joe_ruesgen