Tommy Burns

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Tommy Burns

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 am

My dad met him a few years ago and said he was a really nice guy. Very sad to hear that hes passed. :(
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Tommy Burns

Postby MJ » Thu May 15, 2008 10:17 am

RIP Tommy

What a great loss to Scottish football.

He played the game the right way, he got his teams to play the right way.

The way he was treated by the SFA was terrible. (not even being interviewed for the Scotland job)

A committed christian and tireless charity worker.

The world is a worse place without him
MJ
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby peenkles21 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am

Aye, sad news indeed. RIP
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby linda_j » Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 am

A sad loss RIP :(
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 pm

Sad news to hear he has passed.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ranald » Thu May 15, 2008 2:34 pm

By all accounts he was a really decent guy. I always admired the way his teams played football too.

RIP
Can you blame the man for going out of his mind temporarily?
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby JenniferG » Thu May 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Sorry to hear the Tommy has passed away. Great loss to Scottish fooball.
JenniferG
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu May 15, 2008 7:41 pm

I remember going to Celtic Park with a man who had a learning difficulty. A man in his late fifties - a lifelong armchair Celtic
supporter - who had never been to Parkhead before. The man had a genetic condition - that presented his facial features - as being different - and unfortunately quite noticeable. He could function in everyday communications - and had considerable knowledge regarding Celtic. As he stayed 60 miles from Glasgow - the trip was planned sometime in advance. He was convinced that he would see his then current hero - the manager Tommy Burns. I had spent the last couple of weeks - trying to avert the distinct possibility - of any disappointment he would feel - yet maintain a level of excitement to our big day in Glasgow.
As we entered who did we see but Tommy Burns - being interviewed by a couple of foreign journalists. The guy I was with marched straight up to Tommy and introduced himself - ignoring the press completely - He took everyone by surprise - this was further complicated by his speech impairment. To my surprise Mr Burns shook his hand - and attempted to listen and understand what was being said to him. That 5 Minutes of your time - has made an impression on me - one that will always remain with me. I hope. Thanks Mr Burns.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Yes, sad news indeed and only 51.
Tommy's visited the town a couple of times and was kind enough to get the Campbeltown Tartan Army a signed Scotland Top which we raffled for charity. Apparently he did endless work for charity but with little recognition. (how he wanted it)

RIP Tommy
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 am

Through a family friend I had the pleasure of meeting Tommy a number of times - one of life's true gents.....

Men in general don't really examine their bodies, their moles and marks, especially in Scotland – not that we get that much sun anyway."

Hopefully he will raise the awareness of melanoma within the Scottish psyche. Even if one person checks themselves the next time they have a shower, then it's a step forward.

My opinion of Tommy was that he would have been equally at home playing for Rangers, as long as his family were happy and healthy. So, whoever you're God is, remember a family man - as this was what he cared about more than anything else, certainly far more than football.

For the Celtic fans who disputed the sincerity of Strachan - you only need to watch the interview to draw your own conclusions.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 402752.stm
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat May 17, 2008 11:02 am

Well said, Sheik. Tommy Burns always struck me as an astute,intelligent guy--not the dithering charicature as portrayed on "Only an Excuse". A good servant to Celtic and also Scotland and a good ambassador for the game in general.

I feel for his close and extended family who have lost a husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, a son and a friend.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat