UEFA Cup Final Predictions

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

What do you think the outcome of the UEFA Cup final will be??

Poll ended at Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Zenit St Petersburg win in normal time
17%
Rangers win in normal time
25%
Zenit St Petersburg win in extra time
4%
Rangers win in extra time
42%
Zenit St Petersburg win by penalty kicks
4%
Rangers win by penalty kicks
8%

Total votes : 24

Re: UEFA Cup Final Predictions

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu May 15, 2008 8:54 am

Zenit were the better team, no doubt. But the pass that created their first goal, good as it was, went through Cuellar's legs....the ball could just as esily have hit him on the shin and bounced to safety or he could have booted it to the half way line.
And at their second goal, if Broadfoot had not done that idiotic claiming for offside then he probably would have beaten the attacker to the ball and cleared or at least blocked.

But, the news about Tommy Burns puts it all into itsinstant, insignificant, perspective. Very sad indeed.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Thu May 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Hume wrote:Woohoo! What do I win daftdog?

You win legal guardianship of the fuds who caused the trouble before and after the match last night and the Celtic fan who says they "were not too slow in throwing it back in Celtic supporters faces when they lost" and "you beauty! glad they lost tonight". (wrongs + wrongs = a wrong) so just goes to show.. fuds on the both sides of Glasgow right enough :lol:

Just think, an Aberdeen fan with legal guardianship of them. Book an easyjet flight to Amsterdam and a quick trip to Dr Euthanasia :lol: (don't forget to stop claiming the child benefit afterwards though :lol: )
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri May 16, 2008 10:37 am

daftdog, I'm not too sure how to respond to that :lol:

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who disagrees with you that the people who caused all the trouble were wrong, to put it mildly.

But, isn't Joe entitled to his opinion just the same as you and I? I too resent being told who I should have been supporting in the UEFA Cup Final and I don't mind admitting I didn't want Rangers to win it. It doesn't make me right or wrong, its just what I wanted, or didn't want rather.

I resent being told that I should have got behind Rangers because they are Scottish. At the risk of turning this political and I mean it when I say I'm not being deliberately inflammatory, any time I have gone to Hampden to support Scotland the only two flags I have seen on display are the St Andrew's Cross and the Lion Rampant.

Perhaps it is due to the bile alluded to in Shiek's post about responsibilities or maybe its simply because I am a bitter Dons fan but I was entitled not to support Rangers on Wednesday, just the same as Joe was. OK maybe he gloated a little more than I have, maybe he feel stronger about it than I do and maybe that it why, at a time when you have seen your team come so close to greatness and are understandably deflated, that you have reacted by calling him a fud. Then again, that's your opinion, to which you are entitled.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Fri May 16, 2008 12:32 pm

Hume wrote:daftdog, I'm not too sure how to respond to that :lol:

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who disagrees with you that the people who caused all the trouble were wrong, to put it mildly.

But, isn't Joe entitled to his opinion just the same as you and I? I too resent being told who I should have been supporting in the UEFA Cup Final and I don't mind admitting I didn't want Rangers to win it. It doesn't make me right or wrong, its just what I wanted, or didn't want rather.

I resent being told that I should have got behind Rangers because they are Scottish. At the risk of turning this political and I mean it when I say I'm not being deliberately inflammatory, any time I have gone to Hampden to support Scotland the only two flags I have seen on display are the St Andrew's Cross and the Lion Rampant.

Perhaps it is due to the bile alluded to in Shiek's post about responsibilities or maybe its simply because I am a bitter Dons fan but I was entitled not to support Rangers on Wednesday, just the same as Joe was. OK maybe he gloated a little more than I have, maybe he feel stronger about it than I do and maybe that it why, at a time when you have seen your team come so close to greatness and are understandably deflated, that you have reacted by calling him a fud. Then again, that's your opinion, to which you are entitled.

I think if you read my post again you will find that i actually called the gers fans who said they were glad Celtic got beat in seville were fuds as well.RE: ((wrongs + wrongs = a wrong) doesn't make a right) I was pointing out, joe took offence to the "Glasgow Rangers FC Porto Supporters Club" but then himself gloated about the gers getting beat. I think he is a fud for doing as they did. I don't know the man and my comment was based on his comment only. If i met him in the street, i would shake his hand and tell him the same. As someone said on a thread, why does it come down to "well they did it to us first" mentality. He is entitled to his opinion and i don't care if anyone supported the gers on Wednesday night. I don't expect any fans to support another team just because they are a Scottish based team. (i did expect the Scottish Football Association and Scottish Premier League to support a Scottish team with their european quest, as it benefits the Scottish clubs who qualify for european football each season) But fans can support who they like.

My opinion is its nothing to do with any other club fan what happens with another club. As you say, i am entitled to my opinion as well.

I'm sure Joe has been called a lot worse than that and am sure when he reads my comment, i will be getting called worse as well, but its all just a bit of banter.. People take things far to seriously when it comes to football. How many families will be paying for their dads trip to Manchester for the rest of the year, or longer!!

I nipped over the road to Mohammed's this morning for the paper and a few rolls. while i was there an Aulds delivery driver came in and someone commented to him "cheer up". he replied he was as happy as can be as another fenian B...... was deid. When Mohammed said thats enough of that, he was called a black b.... himself. These are the people who should be on the plane to Amsterdam. Its a disgrace that this happens in the 21st century in Scotland.

Ps. i'm running a free flight from Aberdeen to Amsterdam during the summer break. In-flight entertainment will be "The cousins of Dolly" dance troupe and i will lay on FREE sleeping medication to ALL Aberdeen fans as an added bonus :wink: :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri May 16, 2008 12:56 pm

No probs daftdog, I though the two wrongs you referred to were the Rangers thugs and the Celtic fuds. I can see now what you meant by fuds on either side.

Also, my comments about resentment were not about you, more the media ie the writers and broadcasters who say that all of Scotland should have been supporting Rangers. I know you have never made this demand. We should be doing what the hell we like and I see you have acknowledged that.

On the rest of your post, that too saddens me. We do have problems in this country and frankly I've no idea how we solve them.

To see a comment from a (I'm assuming) Rangers fan on another board that the only thing Celtic will lift this season is Tommy Burns's coffin is absolutely sickening. I was angry when I read that and I can feel the anger coming back now as I'm typing.

I know I should now be posting in the TB thread but of all the praise and anecdotes I've read in the press or heard on TV or radio from his colleagues / former team mates etc no-one has said it quite as well for me as SYE who said Tommy would have been equally happy playing for Rangers. Whether that is entirely true or not is not important, the message is loud and clear. I really liked that comment.

No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Hume wrote:No probs daftdog, I though the two wrongs you referred to were the Rangers thugs and the Celtic fuds. I can see now what you meant by fuds on either side.

Also, my comments about resentment were not about you, more the media ie the writers and broadcasters who say that all of Scotland should have been supporting Rangers. I know you have never made this demand. We should be doing what the hell we like and I see you have acknowledged that.

On the rest of your post, that too saddens me. We do have problems in this country and frankly I've no idea how we solve them.

To see a comment from a (I'm assuming) Rangers fan on another board that the only thing Celtic will lift this season is Tommy Burns's coffin is absolutely sickening. I was angry when I read that and I can feel the anger coming back now as I'm typing.

I know I should now be posting in the TB thread but of all the praise and anecdotes I've read in the press or heard on TV or radio from his colleagues / former team mates etc no-one has said it quite as well for me as SYE who said Tommy would have been equally happy playing for Rangers. Whether that is entirely true or not is not important, the message is loud and clear. I really liked that comment.

Im sad to admit that Ive told the odd sick joke in my time, as Im sure many people have, but thats not even remotely funny.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mod7 » Sat May 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Have split this thread after the above comment.
New thread with moved posts
Mod7
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby joe_ruesgen » Mon May 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Daftdog, no offense taken. But come on, lets be honest and stop kidding ourselves on when people say that other fans of other Scottish teams should be backing Rangers in Europe. Im am convinced that if you were to ask Rangers fans if they would support Celtic in a European cup final the answer would be a resounding "no". The reason being that, had Rangers won the Cup, they would certainly be quick enough to throw it in Celtic fans faces and we would be hearing about for the next 10 years and beyond. I destinctly remember Glasgow being draped in Portuguese and FC Porto flags when we were in the UEFA Cup final and, I may be wrong here, but I don't think there is a large population of Portuguese people living in Glasgow. It's part and parcel of the game and sure we want Scottish football to get a better rep around Europe and the World, which is achieved by getting to finals and winning them...just as long as it is not Rangers that is winning! :wink:

Also, as Hume points out, we are all entitled to our opinions and when someone says something that you may not agree with lets refrain from insults...no matter how unoffensive they may actually be.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby daftdog » Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:Daftdog, no offense taken. But come on, lets be honest and stop kidding ourselves on when people say that other fans of other Scottish teams should be backing Rangers in Europe. Im am convinced that if you were to ask Rangers fans if they would support Celtic in a European cup final the answer would be a resounding "no". The reason being that, had Rangers won the Cup, they would certainly be quick enough to throw it in Celtic fans faces and we would be hearing about for the next 10 years and beyond. I destinctly remember Glasgow being draped in Portuguese and FC Porto flags when we were in the UEFA Cup final and, I may be wrong here, but I don't think there is a large population of Portuguese people living in Glasgow. It's part and parcel of the game and sure we want Scottish football to get a better rep around Europe and the World, which is achieved by getting to finals and winning them...just as long as it is not Rangers that is winning! :wink:

Also, as Hume points out, we are all entitled to our opinions and when someone says something that you may not agree with lets refrain from insults...no matter how unoffensive they may actually be.

I didn't say anyone should support Rangers because they are a Scottish team :lol: and the remark was tongue in cheek as well. :lol:

I agree about the getting to the final, but not winning. I was the same with Celtic in 2003. I wanted them in the final, as long as they didn't win it. That's rivalry for you :lol: But maximum points gained without them gloating about winning it.

Ps. Not sure i even want Aberdeen to play in the SPL, never mind Europe :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 am

daftdog wrote:

:D At least youre honest daft.

Thats why i didnt want either old firm to win either year, because the dons still remain the last Scottish team to win a European trophy, and theyll be the next one too. :?
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 am

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:
daftdog wrote:

Thats why i didnt want either old firm to win either year, because the dons still remain the last Scottish team to win a European trophy, and theyll be the next one too. :?

NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN. HOOO HOOOO HOOOOOO :D :D :D
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Fri May 23, 2008 12:04 pm

NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN. HOOO HOOOO HOOOOOO :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

daftdog wrote:

When I read that I was sure you must have had posted it after last night's game! :lol:

Anyway, we'll be in the SPL next year, but sadly not Europe. I remember thinking after the SCP QF, wasn't that good of Gordon Smith to miss the deadline for filing the papers to ensure the last European place went to the cup runners up rather than 4th in the league.

Of course, that was when we were 8th in the league and only an easy game against QOS from getting to the final. Now I think he is a complete muppet! :lol:

Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 23, 2008 5:47 pm

stand free wherever you may be, cos we are the famous aberdeen,
we dont give a **** wherever you may be
cos we are the famous aberdeen

hahahahahahaha
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat