Should rangers be allowed time off to prepare for uefa cup..

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Should rangers be allowed time off to prepare for uefa cup final?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 41

Re: Should rangers be allowed time off to prepare for uefa cup..

Postby Hume » Fri May 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Glory Blazer wrote:why shouldn't Scottish Premier League Clubs be punished for not being able to fulfill fixtures on time?

You know GB I think I'm coming round to your way of thinking.....tell me, who is it again that can't fulfill fixtures on time and were campaigning for a further extention to the season?

I reckon Rangers should come up to Pittodrie on Sunday 18th or forfeit the three points!
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Fri May 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Hume wrote:I reckon Rangers should come up to Pittodrie on Sunday 18th or forfeit the three points!

Bit drastic that Hume, the match is scheduled for Thursday 22nd May with a 19:45 Kick Off :roll:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri May 09, 2008 1:53 pm

daftdog wrote:
Hume wrote:I reckon Rangers should come up to Pittodrie on Sunday 18th or forfeit the three points!

Bit drastic that Hume, the match is scheduled for Thursday 22nd May with a 19:45 Kick Off :roll:

Think you've missed my point daftdog, the season should be finishing on Sunday 18th with a 1.30(?) kick off but there has been an extention of four days because one team can't fulfill all their league fixtures on time. :roll:. Don't balme me, it's actually Glory Blazers idea!

No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby StephenJ » Fri May 09, 2008 2:00 pm

As for all the other postponed gamesI suggest from next season that if you can't fulfill a fixture due to the state of your pitch then the 3 points go to the visiting team. That would stop all fixture congestion and hopefully ensure better playing surfaces in the SPL. How many games were put off due to the pitch being unplayable. There is no excuse, they could have rainsheets over the pitches and a modern drainage scheme implemented.

If you applied your principle to the Scottish Cup, then Rangers would have been knocked out by East Stirling in the 4th Round. So would you have been quite happy to go along with that, GB? :)
StephenJ
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Glory Blazer » Fri May 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Hume wrote:
Glory Blazer wrote:why shouldn't Scottish Premier League Clubs be punished for not being able to fulfill fixtures on time?

You know GB I think I'm coming round to your way of thinking.....tell me, who is it again that can't fulfill fixtures on time and were campaigning for a further extention to the season?

I reckon Rangers should come up to Pittodrie on Sunday 18th or forfeit the three points!

Who is it that has been so successful this year that they can't fit in all the avaialable matches in 1 season. Why is the seaon not scheduled to accomodate these eventualities?

Another point that has wreaked havoc on the fixture list is replays in the Scottish and League Cup, is there really any requirement for this and why can't games be played to a conclusion in the first meeting? Another way of alleviating fixture congestion!

Obviously my nose is just out of joint due to the fact I am a teddy bear and feel as if the world is against us, but I dare say any other fan of any other team would feel the same way.
Glory Blazer
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ninja Mania » Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Glory Blazer wrote: but I dare say any other fan of any other team would feel the same way.

Naw we would,nt, we would just be getting on with it. Especially since you have known the outcome for weeks and weeks, its all a big stunt by Walt n co, just being ready incase it goes erse up for them. Get on with it,,,,,because you are the people.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Fri May 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Ninja Mania wrote:Naw we would,nt, we would just be getting on with it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And don't bring up Seville, being in two trophies is not the same as being in three companied with a backlog of SPL fixtures.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 pm

I did get your point Hume, but the fact is now, the game is to be played on the 22nd.

I agree cup replays should be scrapped. Also the fixture list should be able to accommodate that a single club could be involved in every round of every competition they are entered in and figure in dates where postponed/rescheduled matches can be played.

Rangers have been punished for being a successful team this season. There should be a maximum of 3 games per club per 8 calender days. This allows a game on a Saturday, midweek then Sunday. I DARE anyone to say they would be happy for their club to be playing the same schedule as Rangers are in the league this month.

What if Rangers have won the league after the St Mirren game on 19th May and decide to stick a weakened team out against Aberdeen on the 22nd, so they have a full strength squad available for the Scottish cup final. How is that giving the league the integrity they keep bleating on about? How would either Motherwell or Hibs feel if they lost out on a UEFA Cup place because of that??

At the end of the day, the SPL and SFA have made an @r$e of the fixture list.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 pm

daftdog wrote:I did get your point Hume, but the fact is now, the game is to be played on the 22nd.

a prime example of where the SPL have assisted Rangers in alleviating the fixture pile up.

daftdog wrote:At the end of the day, the SPL and SFA have made an @r$e of the fixture list.

for SPL see above. The SFA have also assisted by rearranging at least one of your Scottish Cup games after the failure to beat Partick at home. This delayed the semi with St Johnstone by a week and in turn led to your league game at Fir Park with Motherwell being postponed (and Motherwell having a free week!). It will now be played next Saturday and is contributing to the 8 games in 4 days problem.

Beat Partick at the first attempt and it wouldn't be like this.

daftdog wrote:I agree cup replays should be scrapped.

I won't argue against you here, primarily because I don't have a view one way or the other but it didn't ever seem to be a problem when the Scottish Premier was a 44 game season. Also League Cup games no longer go to replays anyway.

daftdog wrote: Rangers have been punished for being a successful team this season. There should be a maximum of 3 games per club per 8 calender days. This allows a game on a Saturday, midweek then Sunday. I DARE anyone to say they would be happy for their club to be playing the same schedule as Rangers are in the league this month.

We'll just need to disagree on the punishment angle but I support you when you say no-one should play more than three games a week. There is simply no alternative though and perhaps more of the fans should listen to the players who have been positive about the situation, unlike Smith & Murray who only ever seem to moan.

daftdog wrote:What if Rangers have won the league after the St Mirren game on 19th May and decide to stick a weakened team out against Aberdeen on the 22nd, so they have a full strength squad available for the Scottish cup final. How is that giving the league the integrity they keep bleating on about? How would either Motherwell or Hibs feel if they lost out on a UEFA Cup place because of that??

Not sure who you mean by 'they' when you refer to integrity, SPL or even Celtic maybe? but I don't see what relevance your point has here. Rangers are entitled to play which ever registered players they want and particularly this year when thay have a cup final about 42 hours later.

Anyway exactly that type of thing happens year in year out if the title is wrapped up early. Even if team selection cannot be questioned, generally performances dip below the level they otherwise would be at if the points were required.

After all that, just make sure you don't get beaten by Dundee Utd tomorrow, from an entirely selfish point of course. I'll be listening on my way to Fir Park.

Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby paulmcw » Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 pm

i believe all scottish teams should be given every chance to prepare in the best possible way and by given Rangers a free week would make sense, just like Scotland rightly did against Italy!
Its something the SPL should look into for next year.Allow for a possible 1 free week for the international team and teams in europe. Unfortunately Rangers have already played the "free week card" against GRETNA! a team they felt simple squad players / youth should not be given the task of securing 3 pts while resting their best players for Lyon. Even although Gretna are maybe fit for the Stagecoach Junior League.

I really believe the only reason Rangers took that free week was because of the Scotland Italy game! and maybe if rangers moan enough about this fixture pile up then the scotland italy call off might just be the last time it will happen.
Even although it was a very rare bit of common sense to come out of Hampden.

1)Rangers win - it was with no help from anyone!
2)Rangers lose- its cause no one helped them!

JUST GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!!!
paulmcw
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Sport Chit Chat