A scottish team 90 mins from lifting the UEFA cup

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: A scottish team 90 mins from lifting the UEFA cup

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Wed May 14, 2008 10:44 pm

Unlucky Rangers.

Proud to be a bear!
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 pm

Not sure there's much arguement with 'the best team won' on the evening?

At the risk of starting another huge debate - I thought, if ever there was an example of how to referee a game, it was tonight. Don't think any of the 3 officials got a decision wrong all evening. A far cry from John Underhill.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Wed May 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Sheik Yir Erse wrote:Not sure there's much arguement with 'the best team won' on the evening?

At the risk of starting another huge debate - I thought, if ever there was an example of how to referee a game, it was tonight. Don't think any of the 3 officials got a decision wrong all evening. A far cry from John Underhill.

Bar a penalty for both sides?

But you are right it was officiated excellently, no complaints here.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby joe_ruesgen » Wed May 14, 2008 11:18 pm

you beauty! glad they lost tonight, shame they got to spoil the good run with their behavior afterwards though and tarnish the good name that celtic fans built up with their run to the Uefa final a couple years ago. :wink:
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Stone Cold aka Doags Bs wrote:Bar a penalty for both sides?

You're right Stone Cold - it's either a penalty for both sides, or neither. Personally I thought it was neither, but could understand if both had been given.

I think Rangers showed a far greater spirit in 2nd half, but that was always when Zenit were going to be at their most dangerous. It was a fantasically weighted thru ball for the first goal. Rangers displayed typical Scottish traits of grit, determination, work-rate, and courage - but unfortunately ended up with the typically Scottish outcome of 'glorious failure'.

Will be interesting to see how it goes on Saturday, but I think the hardest 2 games (of the last 5) are behind them, however I'm not sure I'd be desperately looking forward to going to Pittodrie on the last day (if I was a Rangers fan). No-one has anything to play for, but of all the teams in the Top 6 who would most like to prevent Rangers winning the league - my money would be on the Aberdeen contingent :wink:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed May 14, 2008 11:30 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:you beauty! glad they lost tonight, shame they got to spoil the good run with their behavior afterwards though and tarnish the good name that celtic fans built up with their run to the Uefa final a couple years ago. :wink:

Joe - don't think it's an evening for cheap point-scoring :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu May 15, 2008 2:14 am

I love how all the Celtic fans were reduced to supporting a team who play in Blue and White, and are also managed by Dick Advocaat. Oh well.

This rioting is shameful stuff. It's actually embarrassing.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 am

Stone Cold aka Doags Bs wrote:Bar a penalty for both sides?

But you are right it was officiated excellently, no complaints here.

I agree, the game was really well refereed.

Do you mean the one during the scramble in the Zenit box? Did it actually hit the guy on the arm?

The Broadfoot one was identical to the penalty Bayern Munich got at Pittodrie when the a crossed ball hit Alan Maybury on the arm and to the one Aberdeen were denied in the first minute of the same game. No consistancy.

As we know the rule is that a penalty is awarded for intentional handball in the box. I'm pretty sure Broadfoot didn't mean it so the ref is technically correct. Then again, most agreed that Bayern were rightly awarded their one against Aberdeen.

If the ref has made a quick assessment that, yes the ball struck Broadfoot's arm but that it was unintentional then I applaud him for having the speed of mind to apply the laws of the game correctly.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby peenkles21 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 am

you beauty! glad they lost tonight, shame they got to spoil the good run with their behavior afterwards though and tarnish the good name that celtic fans built up with their run to the Uefa final a couple years ago.

Shhhh, dont feed the troll........
Zinedine Zidane, who remarked the following after Makélélé' was sold and Beckham was bought:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?
peenkles21
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Hume wrote:Do you mean the one during the scramble in the Zenit box? Did it actually hit the guy on the arm?

Well if you watched the game on STV it was replayed 3 or 4 times so you would know it did. As I've already said no complaints to being beaten by a better side.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hume » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Yeah, I watched STV. I just thought the pictures were inconclusive. Looked like it from behind but from in front it looks like his chest. I actually though Darcheville fouled the defender, prior to the 'handball' incident, when he went for the rebound to his own shot, but no-one has mentioned that.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm

It's funny how people seem to forget that many Rangers fans made tee-shirts for their "Glasgow Rangers FC Porto Supporters Club" and were not too slow in throwing it back in Celtic supporters faces when they lost and then say that we should be nice about it. Absolutely I am glad, not that I supported Zenit, I just didn't want Rangers to win. I would quite happily settle for them both to lose...some how??? Anyway, now they know the bitter taste that is left when your team is so close and loses it...at least we made a game of it.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Dont know whether last nights result was a good one or a bad one for our game.
We have reached a pathetic point in the scottish game, when all we have to sing about is the failed attemps of other scottih teams to win anything outwith our own set up.
I have to be totally honest here, putting aside the O/F rivalry, and this includes any of the other top premier league teams, I wish one of them would win a european trophy and soon, its been way to long since any of our teams have been a force against the top european teams, we need to get ourself up to a higher level again, just like we were before.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Thu May 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Ah know how the big telly broke!!!!!

Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby the ice maiden » Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 pm

I think it is brilliant how quick someone manages to think up these funny photo's.
On a not so funny matter is the rioting last night. I was at Piccadilly Gardens with my 10 year old son, along with my husband and a few others. Can i just say that the size of the square you should have had about 3-5000 in there safely-not nearly 20,000. I have never experienced anything like it , you couldn't move. The stewarding and policing was absolutely shocking. Half the stewards couldn't talk English, they weren't from the area so they couldn't direct you anywhere and from what I saw there was about a dozen policemen and women in the one corner watching. At one point some 'fans' climbed on top of a beer tent, other 'fans' then started throwing bottles and cans at them to get them down. We knew that something was going to start so we moved further away. We moved further to the side, not actually far from the exit. The screen had been playing old clips of games all day, then suddenly the screen went blank and a message appeared saying that the were two other screens somewhere else. The game kicked off, still nothing-at no point up till then was a message displayed to say that they couldn't get the link working. We decided that we should just get out of there, because you could feel the tension- thank God we did. Thankfully we managed to get out from the square before we witnessed and more importantly, my 10 year old son saw any of the totally shocking and disgusting images that we have now had to view on tv. If we hadn't to move across the square when we did, we would have been trapped in there-I never would have forgave myself for putting my son in danger like that. I wanted my son to be able to say in years' time that he was there-win or lose. It is such a shame that these so called football supporters chose to act this way . Granted, the heat and amount of alcohol that had been consumed were major factors in the events. I have never seen so many empty cans and bottles in my life. The police and council definitely under estimated the amount of people who were there and I feel they really didn't handle things as well as they could have. There are reports of the police being heavy handed, I can't comment on that. It is a sad day when a sporting event like the UEFA Cup Final has over shadowed by the riots. I can't believe that I drove for 8 hours for the final to be remembered for this.
the ice maiden
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat