Who will be the UEFA Cup finalists?

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2008 3:30 pm

Fiorentina vs Bayern Munich
22%
Rangers vs Bayern Munich
17%
Fiorentina vs Zenit St Petersburg
6%
Rangers vs Zenit St Petersburg
56%

Total votes : 18

Postby daftdog » Thu May 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Who do you predict?? Please vote before Kick Off 17:30 BST..

Zenit St Petersburg vs Bayern Munich ITV 4 @17:15 KO 17:30
Fiorentina vs Rangers ITV 4 @19:30 or STV @19:30 KO 19:45

Edited: Added Match Channels and KO's
Last edited by daftdog on Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Who will be the UEFA Cup finalists?

Postby Reidiboy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:45 pm

I think it will be Rangers v Zenit simply because of the connection with Advocaat and Ricksen.
I am not completely useless............................... I can be used as a bad example!
Reidiboy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hail to the Thief » Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 pm

Fiorentina vrs Bayern Munich, though both Zenit and Rangers are in great positions to go through. Extra time and penalties tonight will hopefully see them come back knackered for Sunday, though I'd doubt at the moment that Hibs would be capable of capitalising on that.

Should be interesting tonight, if not entertaining.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu May 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Rangers and Bayern, I see no reason why the gers cant do what they have been doing all through the competition, and score away from home. Another score draw will do for them, and thats what I think it could be, probably 1.1, but being totally honest I had Bayern to win the uefa cup, and I bet on them months ago.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Thu May 01, 2008 5:41 pm

At kick off the poll showed a fairly open view after 6 votes.

Fiorentina vs Bayern Munich 33%
Rangers vs Bayern Munich 33%
Fiorentina vs Zenit St Petersburg 0%
Rangers vs Zenit St Petersburg 33%
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Thu May 01, 2008 6:14 pm

2-0 to zenit so far, nearly half time.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby daftdog » Thu May 01, 2008 9:38 pm

What numpty voted for Fiorentina vs Bayern Munich AFTER Bayern Munich got stuffed tonight?? :lol:
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ninja Mania » Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Totally deserved their result tonight, the ref gave rangers nothing all night, bams are now in the final. :shock: :shock:
THink I will sell my tickets now.
Ninja Mania
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Thu May 01, 2008 10:53 pm

Chuffed to bits with the result obviously.. Cant really say the best team won but so what... I can however say I thought that Referee was shocking, Ninja is right (had to happen sooner or later).. I honestly thought some of his decisions had to be paid for... :twisted:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Hail to the Thief » Thu May 01, 2008 10:57 pm

gizmo wrote:Chuffed to bits with the result obviously.. Cant really say the best team won but so what... I can however say I thought that Referee was shocking, Ninja is right (had to happen sooner or later).. I honestly thought some of his decisions had to be paid for... :twisted:

Now you know how the rest of the teams in Scotland feel every week! :wink:

Seriously, well done to them. They held up against a lot of pressure in the second half, and you can't argue with the results Smith has achieved this season. Thought Whittaker was excellent tonight, and if Cuellar is still in the SPL next season it will be a crime, immense and certainly destined for bigger things.

And I think I'll keep my predictions to myself from now on... :oops:
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Fri May 02, 2008 12:07 am

I remember being mentally scarred as a teenager watching Steaua Bucharest beating Venables' Barcelona in 1986. I hate to think that Rangers have just inflicted the same lifelong pain upon another generation of teenage Europeans :shock:

Does the end always justify the means?

I also appreciate this sounds like sour grapes, especially having celebrated Scotland's victory in Paris so wildly, however even when outclassed I thought Scotland offered alot more than Rangers did tonight. But fair play to them for getting there, it's an incredible achievement especially when you consider the sheer volume of games they have played this year.

From a co-efficient perspective it also helps, as it's a 5 year rolling total we would have lost Celtic's points from 2003 after this year, however Rangers have ensured this is now maintained. Having had Scottish teams in the last-16 of the CL for the last 3 seasons should also help.

Does anyone know for certain what impact the Rangers result, coupled with the Man Utd and Chelsea results, have on SPL allocations for next years CL? Do we get one team straight into group phases?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 02, 2008 9:54 am

Its sad indictment of the state of football when teams like Rangers, Greece and to a lesser extent Man Utd (still cant believe they never attacked Barca in the second leg either) are the ones winning trophies these days. I mean it says it all when perfectly perfunctory players like Messi and Ronaldo are being touted as the world's best. In this day and age when players are lambasted by beating their opponents with genuine skill, Nani against Arsenal, and its then called disrespectful. Soon itll be called disrespectful to score goals too. Why dont we outlaw the backheel as well, its a bit cheeky isnt it? Footballs going down the shitter. RIP.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Glory Blazer » Fri May 02, 2008 11:40 am

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Its sad indictment of the state of football when teams like Rangers, Greece and to a lesser extent Man Utd (still cant believe they never attacked Barca in the second leg either) are the ones winning trophies these days. I mean it says it all when perfectly perfunctory players like Messi and Ronaldo are being touted as the world's best. In this day and age when players are lambasted by beating their opponents with genuine skill, Nani against Arsenal, and its then called disrespectful. Soon itll be called disrespectful to score goals too. Why dont we outlaw the backheel as well, its a bit cheeky isnt it? Footballs going down the shitter. RIP.

Stop talking nonsense, football is not all about attacking, as much as you might like to watch the Barcelona's of this world, who at Old trafford passed the ball to each other and that was pretty much it. Exciting, best players in the world that can pass to one another.

If the supposed "best players in the world" cant break a team of average players down due to their work ethic or commitment, who are you to criticise the average players?

Wouldn't be that if Aberdeen were in Rangers position, you would be lauding them! :x
Glory Blazer
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 02, 2008 11:54 am

Yes its not ALL about attacking, but part of it is. If you werent so obtuse youd have noticed that my point was about teams reliance on defence instead of attack, and how the spectator aspect of the game is being killed. Teams going out not to lose games, rather than trying to win them. I can easily see why Rangers would play this way against Fiorentina, but why do they line up the same way against Dundee Utd? Man U are supposed to be on the same level as Barca, yet they go out not to lose. Im a Man Utd fan, and while I agree that Barcelona pass too much without any real infiltration, Im disappointed in the respect that United gave to them. Incase youve forgotten, or indeed if you ever really knew, its supposed to be about entertainment. Yes good teams are built on a solid defence, but goals are the lifeblood of the game. Its shocking against any opposition that it takes 73 minutes to have a meaningful attack. How long will it be before teams literally line up all 11 people on the goal line? Im sick of people on this forum making assumptions as to what other people mean, without comprehending the point properly. I mean, I didnt criticize any player, I questioned their managers mentality, I dont know why you couldnt see that?

Aberdeen have nothing to do with it. To be honest Rangers have nothing to do with it either, its the mentality that is creeping into football as a whole, how the players that do have attacking flair are being ostracized for displaying it, that I dont like. I mentioned Greece and Man Utd as well as Rangers to try and stress this point, but as usual some people only see what they want to see. Oh, and if you read some of my other posts, Ive been saying the same for a while, for example Lionel Messi isn't half the player Gheorghe Hagi was, and he couldnt get into the Barcelona team.

I dont know why I should have to clarify what I meant by sad indictment of the game, but i was complaining about the state of the game as a SPECTATOR SPORT, which is what it was originally intended to be. If you think Im wrong fair enough, but its only going to get worse from here on in. Basically all Im doing is bemoaning the fact that 'the beautiful game' has devolved from a sport into a business. I also don't understand how winning and winning with style have suddenly become mutually exclusive. Also, Ive edited this three times cos ive kept adding bits.
Last edited by A Horse called Juan Face on Fri May 02, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Fri May 02, 2008 12:59 pm

and Eric Cantona agrees with me

In 2006 The Sun newspaper reported Cantona as saying that Manchester United had lost their soul and that the current players were a bunch of sheep. The Old Trafford idol reckoned the days of maverick entertainers like himself and George Best were gone and feared the Red Devils were betraying their past by putting out boring, functional teams.
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat