Ctown Red Army Namecheck

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Ctown Red Army Namecheck

Postby Hail to the Thief » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Whilst I didn't catch the radio commentary of the game today I'm reliably informed that Chick Young gave the Campbeltown Red Army a mention today on Radio Scotland, something along the lines of;

"We often talk about buses from Aberdeen or the likes leaving to watch the Old Firm but I've just seen a flag reading 'Campbeltown Red Army'. Incredible! It's a lovely wee part of the world down in the Mull of Kintyre but a bit of a journey."

Little consolation after a result like that but fair play to those who were there.
Hail to the Thief
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Trapper » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Heard about the mention, It's a massive flag and was just behind the left side of the goal in the east stand. I think it was hume who organised the flag. However your right it's no consolation for the worst performance I've seen from an Aberdeen team, and I've seen a few. I can honestly say this is my lowest moment as a dons fan. Biggest anti climax ever. :cry: :cry:
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:49 pm

Apart from two of us, i though we were all there.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 am

:cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

Aye, I can't think on a lower moment either and as you say Trapper we've seen a few bad ones.

We were not out played, but certainly out fought. Can't understand the mentality we went in to the game with. I reckon some of them thought a place in the final was guaranteed. You could see them burst a gut each time it want 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 to get back level, then when they did they stopped again. :evil:

Got what we deserved!

This is certainly the strangest season since 99/00 when we finished bottom but runners up in both cups.

I've watched us beat Copenhagen 4-0, draw with Bayern Munich at home, knock Celtic out the cup in Glasgow, gone to Munich and Madrid but all I can think about is saturday. :cry:

Still the flag got a mention on Radio Scotland!
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sentrano » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:41 pm

That was the only game ever that I wanted Aberdeen to win!!! I dont want to sound presumptious as we still have to beat St Johnstone and at that point on saturday we had to beat Thistle as well but I couldnt see Rangers not being in the final. This would mean whoever got to the final would be in europe regardless of winning it and having a 1st division team in europe is a joke (unless they won it then I would say fair play)

Scotland has done well over the last few years in european compititions which has boosted our ranking to get another uefa cup place but now I fear another Gretna joke campaign, getting gubbed by an Irish team in the 2nd qualifier. I think the system should be changed. If Rangers play QOS in the final and beat them, I feel the Uefa spot should go to 4th place in the premier league and I dont think im alone on that!

The last 2 years have proved its nonesense, Gretna and an already relegated Dunfermline had embarrassing campaigns!!
sentrano
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Trapper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:48 am

You're not alone sweeney. In fact Gordon Smith is on your side and as of next year the 4th pace team will get the uefa cup spot and the winners of the cup get nothing. I think with the current seedings system this is the most sensible option!

Mind you going even further, are seedings not usually used to help the smaller teams/players in other sports. In football they are designed to let the bigger better richer teams get bigger better and richer until we eventually end up with a small elite european league of super rich teams and a load of part time domestic leagues.
Might not be bad thing if we end up like that mind you.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 am

Trapper wrote:You're not alone sweeney. In fact Gordon Smith is on your side and as of next year the 4th pace team will get the uefa cup spot and the winners of the cup get nothing. I think with the current seedings system this is the most sensible option!

Are you sure that's right? As far as I knew the winners of the cup would get the UEFA cup place and if they'd already qualified then the place would revert back to the league :? I can't imagine Platini being too impressed if the winners of a national cup didn't get into Europe. It wouldn't do much for the status of the cup either.
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Hume wrote:We were not out played, but certainly out fought. Can't understand the mentality we went in to the game with. I reckon some of them thought a place in the final was guaranteed. You could see them burst a gut each time it want 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 to get back level, then when they did they stopped again. :evil:

Got what we deserved!
!

Couldnt agree more, especially the being out fought part. For all of the entertainment involved in the game there wasnt actually a hell of a lot of football played. It was basically just defenders humping it long, and the other side not been able to deal with it effectively. I was sitting with three people from Glasgow and one of them knew Sean O'Connor and I had to tell her to congratulate him because they definitely deserved to win. I only think one Aberdeen player put in a half-decent performance and that was Lee Miller. In a semifinal that just won't do, no matter who youre playing.

Cant say I agree with you Tranny, if QOS have done all the hard work to get to the final then they deserve all the benefits that come with it, regardless of what it will do to the ranking system. If they change that these little teams will have every right to seek legal advice. You cant take away a prize just because you don't like who wins it.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Gordon Smith is determined to push through that change for next season and apparently uefa havn't ruled it out. However at the same time Platini is wanting the winners of the league cup to get into the cahmpions leuague!! That would just be silly!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gersfc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

surely your defeat by queens park last season was slightly more humiliating :) :lol: :lol: :P :P :wink:
gersfc
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Ranald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 pm

A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Cant say I agree with you Tranny, if QOS have done all the hard work to get to the final then they deserve all the benefits that come with it, regardless of what it will do to the ranking system. If they change that these little teams will have every right to seek legal advice. You cant take away a prize just because you don't like who wins it.

Being runner-up isn't a prize. That's the kind of attitude that sees teams lose two semi finals.

Trapper wrote:Gordon Smith is determined to push through that change for next season and apparently uefa havn't ruled it out. However at the same time Platini is wanting the winners of the league cup to get into the cahmpions leuague!! That would just be silly!

I'm still sure that the change Smith is proposing is for the European place to go back to league positions if the cup is won by a team who have already qualified by virtue of their league position. I think he's quite right too. Fair enough if Dunfermline (twice) or Gretna had won the cup then they'd have earned their place but they didn't, so they didn't! In Gretna's case they didn't even beat a top division side to get to the final so why should they have got into Europe at the expense of a team who performed reasonably well over the course of the season and finished 4th?

Sorry to disagree again but I think Platini's suggestion was for the winners of the national cup to get into the Champions League, not the winners of the secondary cup competition as it's only really Scotland and England who have those anyway. I can see where he's coming from as it might force some clubs to take the cup more seriously. That's not really an issue in Scotland but moreso in England, Spain and Italy. In any case, a cup winner is more of a champion than a team which finishes second, third or fourth in a league!
Ranald
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Trapper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:00 pm

After some more research :oops: It would appear it is the national cup platini is on aboot. And yer probably right aboot the runners up/winners thing an aw! :oops: :lol:
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Was that one of the St Claire Terrace contingent slagging off Mr Calderwood in the Herald today? :lol: :lol:
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm

twas masel! It was actually mainly a rant against darryl broadfoot but they cut aw that out!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:01 am

Ranald wrote:
A Horse called Juan Face wrote:Cant say I agree with you Tranny, if QOS have done all the hard work to get to the final then they deserve all the benefits that come with it, regardless of what it will do to the ranking system. If they change that these little teams will have every right to seek legal advice. You cant take away a prize just because you don't like who wins it.

Being runner-up isn't a prize. That's the kind of attitude that sees teams lose two semi finals.

Thats not exactly what i meant and i think you know it. The prize i was referring to wasnt second place, it was the place in Europe. If the rules state that QOS get into Europe from runnerup place then thats what they deserve. Its not fair to them to change it just because you dont like them. I thought my point was self explanatory actually, but Bitter managed to rally against it. :lol:
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Sport Chit Chat