NFL and Campbeltown

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Truth be told Mr P - I've still never truly recovered from that day. It was a David v Goliath moment.

If I remeber correctly the Ref was a homer, we had 18 goals ruled out for offside, and young Tommy MacPherson was sent off for being persistently blonde in a built up area.

Archie McGeachy's Red Kola was spiked at half-time, and the ball boys were really slow to throw the ball back into play. (thank you Mr Domenech)

Some days the Gods conspire against you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We'll not bother with the square go any more, I'm probably due you a pint or two for being such an @rsehole :lol:

How many other cup wins followed to add to the illustrious history?
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby abbey craig » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:35 pm

hope you passed the baw sheik,more than your brother ever did :x

i remember malcolm wan day, the ball actually went out of play doon kinloch green
he wiz actually still dribbling round the trees, :lol: i could have been top goalscorer up hillside park if he would have released the damned ball :roll: :lol: :lol:
abbey craig
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Jumpers for goalposts eh fellas! I have great memories of the boy's league's too.......still get a wee stab of excitement or something! in my stomach when I pass a mucky goal mouth! :roll: :oops:

Anyway, where is the link to the photos wae NAMES!? or even a description of where they are would do!
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Wee Toon Ajax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Sweltered wrote:Shame no one in Campbeltown is interested in the NFL :wink:

Sweltered, we aínt but some of us were aware of the link between the wee toon and the NFL, were you :lol:

On wind up mate but would be a good question to make a few bucks at your work. I mean how many workmates would know "Which current NFL kicker began his life playing sawwwwcccerr in the wee toon". That should keep them guessing at your work for quite a while I think Sweltered.

Hope all good with you
If, after all, men cannot always make history have meaning, they can always act so that their own lives have one.

Camus
Wee Toon Ajax
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Are we talking sport, or are we talking padding??
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby the special one » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 pm

has any1 got any photos of the dalaruan team from 83-85???
the special one
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sweltered » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Wee Toon Ajax wrote:
Sweltered wrote:Shame no one in Campbeltown is interested in the NFL :wink:

Sweltered, we aínt but some of us were aware of the link between the wee toon and the NFL, were you :lol:

On wind up mate but would be a good question to make a few bucks at your work. I mean how many workmates would know "Which current NFL kicker began his life playing sawwwwcccerr in the wee toon". That should keep them guessing at your work for quite a while I think Sweltered.

Hope all good with you

I knew he was born in Greenock, but no idea he has Campbeltown connections, I just found it ironic that the only Campbeltown footballer to "make it" as a pro, is an American Footballer
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby king of kilcousland » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:20 pm

Dalaruan were clearly the greatest fitba team ever to emerge fae the toon! by the way spotted steven oot the twisted melons in the first photo, but cant recognise many more.
How many mothers to cry?
How many sons have to die?
How many missions left to fly over palestine?
king of kilcousland
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 am

scott graham sticks out a mile. Also i didnt read this post so i dont know that sweltered had a cheap dig at me, and therefore i cannot reply to it
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:02 am

There was nothing cheap about it, it was carefully crafted :lol: :lol: :wink: 8) :lol: :D
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:25 pm

I went to school wi all the tynes boys, lawrence was in my class. Good fitba player right enough. Not the first time him or his brother have been in the paper here tho, he was done for assualting a bouncer in the states somewhere not long after he left the claymores and his brother was put away for drug smuggling!! Both stories made the daily record, that pantheon of journalism. Mind showing everybody in the pub and beaming with misplaced pride "I went to ST.Keirans wi them!!" :D
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby general jack o'niell » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:34 pm

i knew!!! but then i played against his faither and young lawrence and his brothers used to come and watch, so he got his first lessons in PAT and fieldgoal kicking from big eddie mitchell who had a pretty good leg on him, unfortunately he'd torn the leg off a U.S. Navy seal who had been drafted for the giants before doing his knee in and having to retire before he ever played a game in the NFL, he then enlisted in the forces like his dad before him.

we used to play against the Seals regularly down the quarry green or out at the base, we even had two american coaches whose names escape me, one was a senior officer with grey hair and a moose tache, who lived next the argyll and then up at kintyre gardens.

lawrence tynes's old man used to play against us but i'd have to see a pic before remembering which one he was

for the record, we won more often than we lost and had up to 20 locals that played regularly, most of us having to double up on offence and defence, myself i played wide reciever (not as fast as terryll owens, better hands, even mouthier) and linebacker (cross between mose tatupu and john lynch)

we played full contact, no helmets, none of this sissy touch or flag football stuff, this did mean an odd injury, my personal total of inflicted hits was two broken collarbones and one victim spending a night in hospital with cracked ribs and bruised kidney. i only suffered the odd knee dislocation and ankle sprain, but our QB was a vet so he came in handy, altho we did get a bit worried when he'd stick on a glove that went up past his elbow.

i have pics of the day that the glasgow diamonds played the the glasgow eagles? at kintyre park, after which we suited up in the eagles pads and helmets and played the diamonds, i even managed to catch a pass and score a touchdown, which is harder than you think wearing one of those helmets as it cuts down your peripheral vision, meaning you have to turn your head right round like a bloody owl in order to see the flight of the ball, while running and trying to get away from the cornerback or safety who usually has the benefit of facing the direction the ball is coming from.

my son and his mates play the odd game up next me in the school playing field, and even tho i have my beloved No.81 art monk redskins shirt and my shoulder pads, they won't let me play, tho i'd be restricted to playing centre or nosetackle these days having probably lost a yard of pace (a yard is still 30 feet isn't it?)

my son emails skysports team everytime they call lawrence tynes british, as we have known since he started playing for kansas city chiefs that he was born in scotland, i think his mother comes from either greenock or dunoon, his father having been based on holy loch before coming to the town. not sure without checking but i think this is his third or fourth season, i know i picked him sometimes for my fantasy team three seasons ago.

i'll have to dig out my pics of me and big eddie all suited up, since we haven't heard from him on here since he went to australia

on the football front i won't claim that calton or davaar were the better teams, simply because they weren't, nothing to do with me of course, i was a cross between andy ritchie and matt le tissier, useful going forward, not to be relied upon when we hadn't got the ball, thats someone elses job
general jack o'niell

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 pm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/200710 ... dbed5.html

This fella is coming to play for Miami on Sunday in London......likely not the brightest multi millionair on earth!!

Maybe Sweltered knows about him.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:33 pm

i've always said, they were thick most of them, just listen to phils simms commentate, his accent makes it worse
general jack o'niell

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:50 pm

most of who? :shock: watch it GJO, I'm sure you will elaborate or edit to make your meaning clear.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat