Tour De France

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Tour De France

Postby Rabmacd » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:55 pm

The tour starts tomorrow. COME ON LANCE ARMSTRONG !!! Anybody feeling down and in need of a bit of inspiration--read Armstrong's book--"It's Not About The Bike". You will be immediately uplifted. One of the greatest sportsmen of all time IMHO
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby campbel » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:02 pm

Yes would have to agree - Lance Armstrong is an amazing athlete and one of the greatest.

Out of interest, have you ever read Graeme Obree's autobiography? - which as good an autobiography as you will find anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 79-4437500

One of Scotland's (and Britain's) greatest athletes who deserved higher praise in Britain than he ever received. The fact that he beat the world hour record twice was quite amazing and for anyone involved involved in cycling the hour record is the ultiamte cycling record, very few professionals even dare try to attempt it!
campbel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Craig » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:00 pm

Half way through the tour and Lance is still in the lead.
Do you think his auld legs have enough to take him to an historic sixth title? Or will Basso catch him? and what about Ullrich is he past it yet?

I really hope Armstong can win. He is an outstanding athlete and appears to be a thoroughly decent geezer. However there is a part of me that wants him to fail because the tour has become boring recently (a bit like F1) and I was always a fan of Big Mig
Big Craig
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Bikes Bikes Bikes

I dinna think anybody watched this drivel. It's about as exciting as a Campbeltown Community Council meeting chaired wae wee Alec Mckerral.

Lance Armstrong? You would be as well with Lance fae the Argyll. Go on ya peddlers, make my day. Hope you all fall off and that'll be the end of that. Boring..........You're right

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Big Craig » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:57 pm

bubbly jock wrote:Bikes Bikes Bikes

I dinna think

Nuff said! :lol:
Big Craig
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:07 pm

Big Craig,
Armstrong already reached the historic six in a row last year, so he's just going to compound it and probably put himself into a position that will surely never be repeated, by adding a seventh. Big Mig was some machine as well---read that his resting heartbeat was 28 per minute :shock:

Rab
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DOUBLE A » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Rabmacd wrote: read that his resting heartbeat was 28 per minute :shock:

Rab

Much the same as yourself during big tommy's pre season stuff at westport !!!! 8)
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:34 pm

Double A,
played for Hector's under 19 team the night ( aye I know but every team has ringers in them despite their names) and I don't think that my heartbeats under a hunner yet, three 'oors after.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DOUBLE A » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Rabmacd wrote:Double A,
played for Hector's under 19 team the night ( aye I know but every team has ringers in them despite their names) and I don't think that my heartbeats under a hunner yet, three 'oors after.

Jeeeeez under 19's, fair play tae ye. were ye blowin oot yer ers@ or did ye save the auld legs by using the noggin and the years and years of experience gained over your distinguished career :wink:
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:42 pm

Tour de france

Was Hector cycling up and doon the touchline Rab We're trying to have a decent conversation aboot wheels and you're in wae balls. If you want to speak to Ermer the Fermer's wee 6feet 6inch brother away ower tae the fitba channel or gie him a shout on the polis radio

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby Rabmacd » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:45 pm

If only!!! The wee man decided tae locate me right in the middle of the midfield, wi' young Murtle--up against the whippets that are Mc Gill and Joe Reusgen. Nae saving of auld legs. A spell in the bath in the morning may well be required---have tae get up really early tae try tae slap some life intae them
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DOUBLE A » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:58 pm

Back to the topic, think what Armstromg has done is amazing, but think Big Craig may have a point as the tour is not the same when 1 man is so dominant [ i.e lance and big mig ], although both were amazing athletes.

my own favourites as far as the tour goes are

the time trial on the final day between lemond and fignion [ dodgy spelling], not sure of the year but think that fignion held an advantage of nearly a minute but lemond managed to win the time trial and take the tour by seconds

and

the commentary when Robert Millar chased delgado up the mountain, he had been dropped earlier and near the end appeared from nowhere and nearly caught delgado on the line, thought commentator was going to have a heart attack/pee himself.

P.s rab did the old magic boots stick any in the onion bag :?:
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Sport Chit Chat