The Role of a Shirt Sponsor

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

The Role of a Shirt Sponsor

Postby weetoonboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:40 am

Liverpool sponsors Standard Chartered are now involving themselves in the running of the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9442542.stm

In one statement, the Standard Cchartered Sponsorship Chief has stated where Liverpool should be buying their players and who should be the Manager on a full time basis. Not only do you get your name on the shirt now for £80m, you get your own real life subbuteo set.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: The Role of a Shirt Sponsor

Postby Bitter End » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

The word used was 'COULD' not 'SHOULD' as to where to buy players and he wanted K D to remain as manager because of his world wide 'magic' image Whits new ?----- He who pays the piper calls the tune --the bank is only lookin oot fur itsell as normal; sponsers are not known for Philanthropy !
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby weetoonboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I think this is a little unprecedented in the manner its been done. I cant remember this ever being reported before. Seems a little odd that a £20million a year sponsor would make public his views about the transfer policy at any club.

Maybe its more of a business story than a sports story. Standard Chartered have probably realised that they have been duped in the value of being a shirt sponsor for a mid-table team that plays in a league that isnt in your primary market.

Similarly Chelsea were looking for bids in the region of £100m to change the name of Stamford Bridge for 10 years.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Bitter End » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:15 pm

"Maybe its more of a business story than a sports story" You are spot on --BIG business ----
" And while the company is based in London, much of its income comes from the Asian market. " -- hence wanting Asian players
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat