Old Firm Cup Game

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Old Firm Cup Game

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Any opinions on this one?

Watched the game and Celtic looked a far better team, even when down to 10 men. I think Neil Lennon has finally got a nice blend of grit and skill, not to mention some genuine pace throughout the team which we have not had for years. With Kenny Miller gone, I really can't see Rangers putting any real challenge up against Celtic (not trying to start a rant here). Jelavic (is that his name?) looked like he could be a very good player though and seems like he has some class.

I was pretty critcal of Lennon at the start of the season after failing to qualify for the Champions League, but he really is putting together an exciting team to watch. Ki looks like he is very gifted and one of the most technical players around, and Kayal looks like he could be a solid buy too. Good to finally have a good footballing team rather than the O'Neill-esque teams that relied on battering the opposition.

Great game overall and worth getting up at 7AM to watch! When is the replay going to be?
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Old Firm Cup Game

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Still think there's absolutely nothing between the 2 teams, and I'd say that goes for all 3 games so far.

For all the possession Celtic had, Rangers probably had the better chances. If Davis had been 2 inches taller it would likely have ended up 3-2.

What a save by McGregor :shock:

Would have to agree with the comments that the best man on the pitch was Calum Murray, thought he had a great game. It's a lot better discussing a game of football rather than a ref's performance.

All-in-all I thought it was a pretty good game, not one for the purists ....... but then again, they never are :D
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby smiles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Watched my first old firm game for sometime yesterday and have to admit it was enthralling! really enjoyed it from start to finish. Celtic deserved to win but could be argued Rangers had the best clear cut chances. Rangers sat too deep too.
smiles
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby The Insider » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Last nights Old Firm match

I never followed football while growing up in Scotland as I hated ALL religion from a very early age.

Now having travelled the world for thirty years with work and seeking adventure it's obvious that my early feelings were absolutely correct, it (religion) causes dispicable vile hatred, wars and for some unexplicable reason makes idiots of a certain faith want to blow themselves and others up.

Last nights match wasn't quite that bad but WTF is going on in our country when we have seens like that, I'm not blaming one side, both are as bad as each other, it's pathetic and a total embarrasment to our country that is Scotland.

During all my travels I have ALWAYS tried to be a great embassador for our country and promote everything that is good about our core values, but last nights display destoy's all that in an instant, the whole world will have seen it.

They just can't move on....can they??
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Insider, you are absolutely correct. The scenes from last night's game was terrible and it will no doubt be a serious talking point for the next few days. My only real concern is that it will flow over into the next two Old Firm games and things will get really nasty.

As for the game though, thought it was a good game to watch (well, for me as a Celtic fan anyway). Rangers are just poor at the moment, but credit to Celtic for playing so well. The way they possessed the ball and won it back was a real joy to watch. I still think Diouf is a liability and is just one controversy after another, his antics after the games was terrible and only riled things up further. When will professionals actually act professionally?

Here's looking forward to the next game, hopefully all associated with the game will behave and act responsibly and get back to enjoying the football for the football.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

The Insider wrote:
I never followed football while growing up in Scotland as I hated ALL religion from a very early age.

I've read that line a few times and I still don't understand it. Are you really citing your hatred of religion as the reason you were not interested in football? I don't see the connection.

I have heard football described as a religion but more metaphorically surely?
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The Insider » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

Hume

Thanks for your reply to my post, I don't normaly talk on any other subject other than Formula 1 but after the weekend I had to say something.

I grew up in Campbeltown and tired (from a very early age) of hearing and seeing bigoted people people fighting and arguing over whether they are Catholic or Protestant or supported Celtic or Rangers.

That simply is the connection.

It (the football/religion issue) is like a cancer in our country and a certain part of the poulation cannot seem to move on.

The shambles that was the Old Firm game at the weekend yet again, and sadly, proved that to the world.

I have two good friends that play English Premiership football and having been a die hard Everton supporter with a season ticket for over 25 years (enough to make any man grey) I feel I am well enough versed in the game to offer an opinion on behaviour of fans, players and staff at matches.

I have watched football all over the world and been to some of the biggest derby matches there are in Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Portugal etc, but this never ending bigoted hatred that is the blight of these matches no longer has a place in the modern game, it's pathetic.

Only my opinion of course, I'm sure there will be plenty will disagree.

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Hume » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 am

TI,

I'm not one of those who would disagree with you - I agree with a lot of that. I'm not blind to the fact the religious divide is at the heart of a lot of what is wrong with the Old Firm rivalry but that's not to say decent fans of either side should feel bad for having a genuine footballing rivalry. The two are separable but too often the latter gets mistaken for the former.

I am surprised to hear you say you witnessed a lot of religious bigotry in Campbeltown when you were younger, but I'll not dispute it. I certainly recall plenty of footballing rivalry, but not sectarianism.

It's also a bit harsh to associate religious bigotry with all of Scottish Football - of course it is a problem but there are plenty who choose to Stand Free of all that.
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby The Insider » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Hume

You absolutely correct in what you say about most of the fans keeping a distance from the bigots and the religous devide, I also agree and enjoy genuine football rivalry, we (in Liverpool) also have a world famous derby match.

However, as always, the minority WILL ruin it for the majority, the media of course never report the positive things but thrive on the negative, it has to be said that this weeks Old Firm game gave them (the media) a feeding frenzy, we all know they will act like a school of starving Piranha fish finding a carcas.

Also, I didn't mean that religous bigotry ran throughout Scottish Football, maybe it went from my brain through the keypad in a manor that suggested that, however; in almost thirty years of world travel I have without fail been asked exactly the same question when the subject of football is raised in company, you know what that question is? Don't you?

Are you Rangers or Celtic?

What I'm trying to say is that through a combination of domination, success and a very well publicised and recognised religious divide, they are, and have been, for a very long time, the biggest names in the Scottish game, with that exposure comes scrutiny from a global media audience.

The kind of behaviour at last weekends match sends the wrong message to the world about "Brand Scotland" that for me is a travisty when we as a country have so much more to offer.

TI
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby joe_ruesgen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:27 am

No longer living in Scotland, so I don't get to see all the 'extras' that go along with the game and only get to see the actual game and read the one-sided stories on Sky Sports. With that being said, apart from the 3 red cards and the handbags between McCoist and Lennon at the end, was there anything else major that went on? No doubt there was an influx in arrests and assaults, as is when there is any other Old Firm game, but was the numbers higher than normal? Not that I am saying these higher numbers in crimes are acceptable, but seems like we are listening to a broken record. Sure we know that Old Firm games generate a major problem, but we have known this for years.

With regards to the poor behavior in the game, Rangers seemed to be the main culprits in this one. Diouf, as I have said before, is just a major controversy and is just bad for our game and Bougherra was looking to hurt the Celtic player (I forget who he was) at the end of the game. The breakout at the end was nothing. The confrontation between Gattuso and Joe Jordan at the end of the recent AC Milan vs. Spurs game was far worse, but that seemed to blow over after a couple days.

Just feel like we are constantly talking about the same problems with these games. The government and the SFA know that the problem has existed for some time now and should actually do something about it, rather than just waiting for the next problem to arise and say they need to do something again.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby weetoonboy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 am

I have a very non PC view, and our politicians dont want to talk about it, but as long as the scottish education system maintains its sectarian divide, especially in the western central belt, then we will always have the religious bigotry that accompanies the old firm matches.

Northern Ireland has a similar, though greater, problem.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Sport Chit Chat