Barcelona - Greatest Team Ever?

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Barcelona - Greatest Team Ever?

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:32 am

Any opinions on this? I watch them every game now and they impress me every time, just seem to get better and better. Without a shadow of a doubt, they are the best team that I have ever seen, national or club. Guardiola is arguably the best coach in the world and although he has most of the best players in the world, we have all seen stacked up teams struggle, but he seems to get it right every time. What is it that they do differently than everyone else? Seems like they are relying heavily on the youth setup for filling their first team now too, surely this is great encouragement for other nations (particularly in the SPL) that you can be successful with homegrown talent.

So does anyone else think that they are going to clean up and take it all this year? The way things are going it's going to be hard to beat them.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Barcelona - Greatest Team Ever?

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

I remember going to along to Celtic Park to see them in 2008, it was Champions League knock-out stage. For some incredible reason we were 2-1 up at half-time :shock: The 2nd half was an absolute lesson in football, I hardly think we touched the ball. We eventually got beat 3-2, but it could quite easily have been 10-2. I don't normally applaud the opposition off the park, but I did that night. :lol:

Strachan was always fond of his stats and, about 1 week later after analysing the game, I remember him making a comment to put into context how good Barca were. He said (something along the lines of) that in an average SPL game Celtic will pass the ball 700 times. Barcelona made 1,000 passes at that game............ IN THE SECOND HALF!! :<> :<>

He stated that's what any team should aspire to - that evening they never stopped passing and moving! The scary thing is - current team is even better!

They are a joy to watch.

Guardiola is definitely the coach of the world's best team but not sure I'd *yet* class him as one of the world's best coaches - he's only just turned 40! Time will tell tho, time will tell......
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Joe,

I agree with you that the current Barca team really are something special. For me, it's the fact that they move the ball so quickly. Most of the time their midfield play one touch football, not allowing the opposition any chance to close them down. Of course, the fact that they have a collection of the best players in the world helps, but they don't seem to have the prima donna attitude that some of the Galacticos had/have.

They make things happen where other so called big time Johnnies wait for it to happen.

The understanding that they have between each other is unbelievable. Messi, Xavi and Inniesta have to be among the cleverest players I have ever seen. Messi doesn't look particularly fast over fifty or sixty yards but when you see him pass and move for that one-two, his pace over five to ten yards is amazing.

Guardiola was one of my favourite players in his day and it's great to see him doing well in management.
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby TYM » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:29 pm

I cannot remember which Barcelona game I watched recently but I actually laughed at the sheer quality of three of their goals. It has been a long time since a football team has done that.

The only team that might come close to matching Barcelona in my opinion is the Brazil 1970 World Cup Winning side. As for Barcelona, it is the combination of speed, touch, movement and control, then the incisiveness of the pass that has them streets ahead of anyone else.

One thing that stands out is that they very rarely have injury problems. I am sure we can all name their best starting 11 as they play virtually every week. Tonight, only Puyol was missing. I reckon it is because they move the ball so quickly that the opposition do not get near enough to tackle and injure them. It is not as if Barcelona are a "big" or even a physical team and they rarely score headed goals. Just goes to show that skill can triumph over power.

That said, I have a feeling that Real Madrid will deprive them of at least one of the three big trophies this season. I am just not sure which one.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 am

Barcelona are a sheer joy to watch.

joe_ruesgen wrote:Guardiola is arguably the best coach in the world

I think you are right when you say arguably. I'd argue that, I don't think he is. 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:55 am

Ship called Dignity wrote:Barcelona are a sheer joy to watch.

joe_ruesgen wrote:Guardiola is arguably the best coach in the world

I think you are right when you say arguably. I'd argue that, I don't think he is. 8)

I respect your right to disagree. My feeling is that on the current form, particularly the last couple of years, he has put together a team that is playing the best I have seen from any team. Not only that, he has made some ballsy moves in that time - selling players like Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic - so as to not to jeopardise the collective team. This highlights not only the ability to get a team playing great, but shows he has a keen eye for a player (bringing through guys such as Pedro, for example). His calm, modern style of play is very refreshing and is without a doubt the benchmark of playing 'perfection'.

Yes he is relatively new to top level coaching, but I'm sure in a few more years (and many more trophies) he will be considered as the greatest coach, surpassing even SAF. And again, sure he has an incredible amount of talent at his disposal, but we have seen many teams with equally talented players fall well short over the years and his ability to harness the skills and egos of these players is just another one of his laundry list of qualities.

SCD - Who do you consider the best coach in the world and why? Just curious.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Joe - just to clarify - are you talking about a Coach or a Manager?

e.g. Martin O'Neill was a good manager, but he leaves most of his coaching to Walford and Robertson. He says they're far better coaches than he ever will be.
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby joe_ruesgen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm

So SAF would be considered a good manager too then, because I know he leaves a lot of the coaching to his assistants. No? Guardiola is a good coach, but I feel he is also a good manager. Keeping all these super-stars (and super-ego's) intact and happy, in addition to instilling a great belief and never-say-die attitude, is good man-management. For me he is the total package: great tactician and great man-manager.

Although both are different, they do go hand-in-hand and to be a successful coach you have to be able to demonstrate both aspects. Martin O'Neill, despite not being as asthetically pleasing in the way his teams play, got his tactics right on most occasions. He chose players that could play in his long ball style of play and that worked, it's not the prettiest but is still a tactical decision. Even though he has assistants, they are dictacted by him and they coach the players in the way he wants it done. So even though he is not directly 'coaching' the players, he really is.
joe_ruesgen
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Rabmacd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Joe,
I don't agree about the super egos at Barca. I read a cracking interview on Xavi today which kind of sums up the ethos for me. For me all, that is wrong with football can be summed up with two mercenaries-----Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic.

Any coach/manager worth his salt would punt these two charalatans straight out of their team at the first available opportunity.

I seem to recall that, in Ronaldinho's first season at Barca, it was alleged that he turned up for 30 of his supposed 120 training sessions. Big time Johnny or what!!

I think that Pep went in, got rid of the dead wood and gave the rest arguably the best stage on which to ply their trade.

Best player--probably no, best coach/manager----only time will tell, but he's hit the ground running.

here's alink to a very refreshing interview with one of the world's best players.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... -interview
Rabmacd
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:07 pm

joe_ruesgen wrote:SCD - Who do you consider the best coach in the world and why? Just curious.

That is a difficult one and also depends if you mean an actual coach or the best manager. I think Guardiola is certainly good but I think the best prove themselves with other teams too. I think Ferguson's record with Aberdeen is more remarkable than what he has done at Man Utd for example.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Sport Chit Chat