England 2018

Post here if you have anything general about sport whether in Kintyre or the world!

Re: England 2018

Postby The Insider » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:35 pm

GG

Quality, the midges might ruin it that month though :wink:

TI
We're here for a good time, NOT a long time, so keep it lit and never quite.
The Insider
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I think England should have won the bid. In every way their bid was better. The stadiums are there already, no need to spend billions building new facilities, never to be used again after it is all over....no waste of the world's dwindling rescources, no trailing supporters all over a country the size of a continent, no playing in baking heat.

England in the temperate summer of 2018 would have been fantastic. Better still if a Scottish team was there competing with the best of them, but still fantastic if not.

It is past now so no need to debate, or speculate, further.

But I do believe this http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03122010/ ... d-bid.html story to be true. I think the English FA will, somehow try and get back at the media, the BBC in particular. There was absolutely no need to show that, pretty poor, Panorama programme last Monday night.
And I think the FA would be RIGHT to get back at the BBC for that.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote:There was absolutely no need to show that, pretty poor, Panorama programme last Monday night.

I thnk there was every need to show it and the BBC should be applauded for airing it. Anyone who says that the timing was wrong and affected the decision then they are in cloud cuckoo land.

If FIFA are as corrupt as it is believed to be why would any country want to be involved? Corruption is corruption and any media who expose it should be encouraged. Yes the English wanted the World cup to be hosted by them but free press is far more important. Let the Russians have it.

A wasted journey for Wee Davie C and Weary Willie....... I wonder what 1966 sounds like in Russian?

There wouldn't be any chance of cancelling the Olympic white elephant, would there?
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 am

The money spent, or rather wasted, on a pointless bidding process would have paid for two dozen all-weather pitches. FIFA had already decided where the World Cup tournaments were going, i.e. where the money is. That's what they're all about .The best thing for England, USA, Australia,& Spain etc. is to pull out of FIFA and set up a new organisation with a rival tournament.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby weetoonboy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 am

4th gen Suthen' wrote:There was absolutely no need to show that, pretty poor, Panorama programme last Monday night.

Cant believe that you think its not the medias responsibility to bring this to the attention of the British Public. I for one want no part in it, or my government. Football is after all a game for the people. Your basically saying that its all right if your corrupt as long as I can benefit from you.

Tell that to the billions of people in the developing world who dont have free press, who every day face the humiliation of having no voice, no defender of their rights simply because they have no means of doing so. Russia have killed loads of investigative journalists who tred on the wrong toes. Visit Ghana or Ivory Coast see how they live in constant fear of the police.

Even sending the comittee members wives deigner handbags was a level of corruption the tip of an iceberg, that cant be tolerated, and if the whistle wasnt blown on that where would it have ended. We Brits and all others of the free world must always be above this.

I dont necessarily believe that England deserved to win the bid, but FIFA must be transparent, they must tell would be bidders what they want to achieve from the finals, who the preferred candidates are right from the off.
24 People on the FIFA exec comittee, to represent the most loved sport on the Planet. 208 national associations operate under the FIFA umbrella. Surely there should be 208 votes. Try corrupting 208 people, its almost impossible to do and will be even harder to hide.

I suspect FIFA have shot themselves in the foot with this, if they thought that the British Media were bad before wait and see what happen now. Every transaction, every hand shake, every meeting will be scrutinised.

As for Qatar, 12 years from now. Who knows what the political make up will be in any part of the world in 12 years, never mind the middle east. Qatar might have Oil but it doesnt have a lot of the worlds most precious resource, Fresh Water. 2 things that we are told are running out.

FIFA's slogan used to be "For the good of the Game" now it reads "For the Game". Go figure.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
weetoonboy
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:58 pm

weetoonboy wrote:

Cant believe that you think its not the medias responsibility to bring this to the attention of the British Public.

Of course I didn't mean that. Although, reading back, perhaps I can see how it could be construed that way.

All I meant was they could have broadcast the programme the NEXT Monday night....after the vote, therefore not diminishing the chances of the World Cup coming to England. Mind you, it does seem as if Russia had it in the bag long ago.

I do agree with everything else you say.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:48 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:All I meant was they could have broadcast the programme the NEXT Monday night....after the vote, therefore not diminishing the chances of the World Cup coming to England. Mind you, it does seem as if Russia had it in the bag long ago.

The problem with that 4th gen suthen is it would then look just like sour grapes. Monday night was the right time to show it and I agree wholly with Isa's comments too.

Blatter got his own way in the end and credit to him for taking football to the continents that have never hosted it but I just wish they would stop wasting money when there is no chance of a country winning it.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:48 pm

bullies! :wink: :lol:
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 300968 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Think it just shows that it's not only us Scots that think they are arrogant!!! The only people who really thought it was in the bag were the English bid team, the English Media and the English people!!! I agree that it is time to give other nations a go...I mean, England do have the Olympics in 2012, they have had both the World cup and the European Championships in the last 50 years. Good on you FIFA...get it right up them!!!

Funny how no nation who has ever lost out on a bid have ever complained or questioned the process.....but when England lose out-everyone is corrupt, the system is wrong, people backstabbed them, etc, etc, bloody etc!!!!!!!

Still, it won't happen to them again in our lifetimes....they've gone in the huff!!!!!
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby bill » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 pm

EMDEE wrote:
bill wrote:
EMDEE wrote:
On the other hand, is England really that unpopular internationally ?

YES

Why should that be? :?

Arrogance Emdee,and a lot of hatred left from their Colonial power days.You do not have to look further than these shores..Ireland and Scotland and to a lesser extent Wales.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Following FIFA's decision to award Russia the 2018 World Cup, Vladimir Putin telephoned Sepp Blatter to personally assure him that his daughter would be returned safe and well.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:19 pm

See, looks like sour grapes now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11921692

but quite right!
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Good for you Boris!
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hume » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 am

Govangirl wrote:Good for you Boris!

wait a minute, free hotel rooms during the Olympics? - is that not just a form or bribery?

I've no idea why Russia won over England, if the FIFA members felt it was a better bid then fine but I do suspect some backhanders going on. Maybe they were impressed with the handling of the UEFA Champions League final though?

I do feel though that England 2018 would have been a fantastic World Cup. With the exception of Germany I dont think there is a better host country in Europe, perhaps the world. Its not just about stadia, which clearly England already has, its about all round fans' experience and again I think England would have delivered. Also, England in my view is the right size - not too small that there is a need to have more than two stadiums in the one city but also not a real issue if fans have to travel from Newcastle to Bristol.

Maybe I need to open my eyes a bit though and understand other countries are just as capable.

As for 2022, that is a nonsense!
Should Scotland be an Independent country?

Yes, I believe Scotland is a country and should therefore govern itself.
No, Scotland is not a country it is simply part of the UK and should therefore be governed from London.
Hume
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Frosty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm

I believe that in the bid from Qatar, for the 2022 Competition , it stated that they intend to have Air Conditioning in their stadiums(even those open to the elements)?
This is an amazing waste of energy , the Qatari equivalent of neighbouring Dubia's refrigerated sand. When money is no object , emissions and inefficienies go out of the window.
Very worrying times for the A/C industry as the anti-air-conditioning brigade now think Christmas has come early and they will have a field -day!

fROSTY
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Sport Chit Chat