Yellow Book

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Yellow Book

Postby Thewetman » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:37 pm

On the evening of the 14th April there will be a meeting in the Victoria hall for invited worthies only, in order that they can contribute to the extortionate consultation being undertaken by our elected council on the future redevelopment of Kintyre.
It might be interesting to collect in this forum some ideas to pass on to the intelligencia of the area, who knows perhaps they are already here. Anyhoo to start off what do you think is the biggest disappointment about living in Campbeltown?

For me, it’s the nick of the place, Park Square – what’s going on there? Woolworth’s bulldozes it, how about some more Bronze fogies to brighten the place up?

Perhaps the town should take on a theme any suggestions?
Thewetman
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby sonofaslant » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:21 pm

Never mind passing on ideas - why don't those of living in the area gatecrash the Vic and put our points directly? Cyber democracy rules!

Who picked the great and the good? What about a Neverland theme (doesn't look as if Wacko will need the name any more..) Agree about Woolworths the great carbuncle of Main Street ( the building, not the business itself which in an ideal world could be accomodated in another building. McGrory's was supposed to be up for sale - that would make a perfect Woolies :idea:)

PS What is Yellow Book?
sonofaslant
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Campbeltown

Postby Kintyre Lad » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:44 am

I have often wondered for a number of years how Woolworths got planning permission where it is sited - between the Christian Institute, The Royal Hotel, Main Street and the Aisla! Just looks sooooo out of place.

For me worst thing is Park Square (no offence but it is an eye soar), recreation facilities are crap (no floodlights and astroturf), roads, pavements, esplanade, people who let flat after flat out to low life(!) and the pump station debacle at the bus depot.

However, there are plenty of good things - the people :lol: , the scenery, the golf, the women :lol: (please post!), burnside square, davaar island, doon the front....etc etc
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Campbeltown

Postby LO » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:11 am

[quote="Kintyre Lad"]I have often wondered for a number of years how Woolworths got planning permission where it is sited - between the Christian Institute, The Royal Hotel, Main Street and the Aisla! Just looks sooooo out of place.

Good question - I've been told that every building from the bottom of Main Street to the top of Castlehill is listed (i.e. has some kind of architectural significance) except Woolworths. Can anyone from the Council confirm this? Woolies for McGrory's sounds like a good campaign. If this was the centre of Dublin, it wouldn't matter whether you were Wollies or Marks and Sparks, you would still have to fit in with the traditional shops including signage (check out Grafton Street)

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby LO » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:13 am

For the avoidance of doubt, my last post should have said Woolies not Wolies which could of course be confused with Wally's! No offence intended....

L
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Yellow Book

Postby Jock Strap » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Thewetman wrote:On the evening of the 14th April there will be a meeting in the Victoria hall for invited worthies only, in order that they can contribute to the extortionate consultation being undertaken by our elected council on the future redevelopment of Kintyre.

Any more news on this? Who is hosting this etc? Who is representing the town?
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

yellow book

Postby Jeanette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:05 am

The meeting on the 14 April is for a cross section of invited locals. Around 80 representitives of the area including the courier which will be there as a business. Yellow Book, are a firm of town planning consultants who are based in Paisley. They were responsible for planning Helensburgh town centre. At the meeting on the 14th they will be presenting a draft plan with the final plans at the end of May They are looking at Campbeltown as a whole not just the centre but also included will be concerns as to first impressions of the area on the way into Campbeltown
My understanding is that money provided for this venture will come from The Council The Scottish Executive and AIE, all paying a third.
A meeting next Friday 22nd of the Area Developement Group will discuss issues such as the regeneration of the town and as far as I am aware the public are welcome to attend this.

Regeneration will certainly be helped if the rumours are true that there will be 110 jobs at the new call centre before the end of the month (we'll wait and see)
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: yellow book

Postby Kintyre Lad » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:08 pm

Jeanette wrote:Regeneration will certainly be helped if the rumours are true that there will be 110 jobs at the new call centre before the end of the month (we'll wait and see)

Now that would be super! :lol:

The thing I would like to know - is who lists the people who are invited?

If it is all businesses then we will only get a certain perspective. I recall that calls for a one way system to be implemented in the town and Longow South to become pedestrianised was blocked by the Campbeltown Traders Association and wondered how their voice could be so strong in a matter which clearly affects all Kintyre residents?

Not that I am saying they were wrong or right just it was surprising to hear this - however, probably just a rumour.

Personally I would like to see what was done with Burnside Square done throughout the town - the square has certainly reaped the reward of the change.

If only more people would walk and cycle then we wouldn't have the problems with parking in the town centre! It is amazing the number of people who take their car to work to sit in valuable town centre parking places for 7-8 hours a day while shoppers trying to park can't! ;-)

On a grander scale the Esplanade should also be a centre piece of the town. There is a list that goes on and on and on and on...

Sort out the sewar problem too - it is a joke and yon eye soar is exactly where the bus pulls up!!

KL
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

who's invited

Postby Jeanette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:09 pm

As far as I know there are 8o invited guests for tea and sandwiches at 5-5.30 followed by a 3 hour workshop in the vic The community council have been invited but not sure who else. The invitations were sent from Audrey Martin Developement Officer Planning Dept. Ardrishaig so I assume they will be coming. I will hopefully find out more later on tonight and I will post any further developements. I suppose they didn't want the peasants who pay their wages shouting from the floor in a rebellious manner.
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

update

Postby Jeanette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:44 pm

It isn't just traders that are invited apparently it is a wide cross section of the community. Clubs and organisations I suppose.
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

meeting

Postby bubbly jock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:51 pm

You seem to know a wee bit about what is going on Jeanette are you invited? I'll be there for the sannies. so we might not need the Courier to report it we can post it all on here

See you thursday Ranald :lol: :lol:
bubbly jock

Yellow Book

Postby Kintyre Lad » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:03 pm

The Board will be represented then!

Personally I just want to go for the Sandwiches and Tea!

Jeanette - are you on the Community Council? Perhaps you could post when the next meeting and what current issues are being discussed or e-mail them to Admin to post? You could get some good feeback here.

Do you know anymore about what is happening with the Sewage Problem for example?

KL
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

ccc

Postby Jeanette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:28 pm

Yes I am on the Community Council. The nominations were handed in two - three weeks ago and as none of the seats were contested there was no election. I believe there are a couple of seats still available but I am not sure which wards, Nancy Smith would be able to help on that. The next meeting will be to elect office bearers. This meeting will be chaired by one of the local councellors. Deirdrie Forsyth will be there She will also attend the Carradale one on different night . The decision should be taken then who will be responsible for postings when the meetings will take place. The usual night is the second monday of the month. One or all three of our elected councllors are present along with a Police inspector and the community bobby at the monthly meetings. I think this next one will be a closed meeting but I am not sure
The public are welcome and anyone and wants to raise a topc can do if they indicate to the chair in advance. But you can just come along and listen if you want. Oh I nearly forgot Ranald or Eileen from the Courier attend as well. :)
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

sewerage

Postby Jeanette » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:58 pm

The pipe that was to go down Kilkerran was to discharge at Glenramskill in a line straight across from the shipyard. That was what the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) regarde as the cut off point for the recreational waters within the loch but the community council and others were adament that any sewerage in the loch was unacceptable and that Scottish Water would have to come up with something which not only put it away from the loch but also to include a solution to resolve the issue of the regular flooding of the town.

Their solution was to extend the pipe to come out at Kildalloig well away from the loch and this pipe would extend 800metres out into the sound.
There would be a large underground pumping station at the start of the quarry green. There were plans on show at the town hall and the fun began when the residents of Kilkerran realised that a pipe would be passing their doors and they then formed a committee and called themselves KINTYRE Residents against pollution. When it was pointed out to them that the fight with Scottish Water has been going on for six years and where were they when Low Askomil residents were being asked to stump up £25.000 pounds there answer was? "we have never seen it in the Courier" and one resident said "I don't read the Courier" Six years of misery for Campbeltown and they had never heard of it!! :roll: The situation at the moment, allegedly some of the residents have employed Edinburgh lawyers to fight their corner so as far as I know everything is on hold Great what money can do Where were they when it was discharging on to the Dhorlin from Macrinians point?

The Turners at Kildalloig and the new owners of Davaar House appear to be leading the campaign. I think they should call themselves KILKERRAN residents against pollution I asked Mrs Ellis if she will be fighting any other issues in Kintyre and the answer was no They have only formed to fight the pipe going down Kilkerran and the pump house at the quarry green They even wrote to Jack McConnell on behalf of the KINTYRE residents They didn't ask me, did they askyou?
Jeanette
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Stone Cold aka Doags Bs » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:43 pm

Roads in this town are the worst part of it. But no matter what you say they will just fill them in they unfill themselves when about 10 cars pass over them. WORST ROADS EVER.
Stone Cold aka Doags Bs
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Next

Return to Local News and Issues