Aqualibrium

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby paraffin man » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:43 pm

WCH you are right a plain simple pool is al the folk of the toon were looking for, as the wee ninja said maybe no the same as the gilp, as that is small, but sumthin substantial, a simple 'fit for purpose' building. I agree that the aqualibrum.... is a bit like the Scottish parliment building & i would have loved to have seen the local trades getting all the work, after all if it was them we would probably be all swimming like ducks by now.

Wee ninja, separate pool for Bob & Lil winna be any use as the fags would be damp, an when ye get wan o these big moothfa's o water ye wid prob choke on the butt end.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

pool of woe

Postby John S » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:43 am

Hi Paraffin Man,

At the end of the day there was significant public consultation and explanation on the design of the pool. Lots of local folk had their say and the plans were put on public display for us all to comment. I think most people were happy with what they saw, even if it was a little OTT.

If you remember, funding could not be gained for a swimming pool alone, there had to be other aspects that made it a multifunctional building.
I think it is a credit to Seamus Lallor who drove this project forward for the council that the town has a building of such note and scale, there is not another community facility in the Highlands and Islands to compare with it and it will be something to, I hope, be proud of in future years.

While it is disappointing that there has been this setback, better it happened now than next winter, let’s hope that this is an isolated incident and that the rest of the building work is to a higher standard.
John S
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hoots the scoop » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:02 am

John

Not everone can envisage what the outcome of plans will look like or the impact on the area, no matter how good the plans are.

I believe that folk trust those supposedly in the know to have common sense and taste.

This building is an ugly eyesore and I cannot imagine present or future generations being proud of it. Will it still be standing for the next generation?

The facts are that it is now amost finished and we have to accept it whether it is an eyesore or not and as you say, hopefully the latest event turns out to be an isolated incident.

hoots
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DMS Graphics » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

It's a better looking building than the one it replaced.
The shape of it is starting to grow on me, actually quite like it now. hopefully in year's to come it won't start to look old and tired. A building in it's prominent location needs to be maintained outside as well as inside, all that white should be kept clean.
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby bubbly jock » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:44 am

Ach S.W will soon finish it off if the superglue hasn't set properly. It's a bit draughty anyway in that location for a building that's not suited tae the extremes of the West coast of Scotland.

Stick to the traditional methods that work and stop employing architects wae fancy ideas trying tae make a name for themselves when all they're doing is making a fool of themselves and the fools that pay them. Structures like this don't grow old gracefully they just embarass the surrounding architecture.

A turkey we've been sold
The Odeons caught the cold

Atishoo, Atishoo
The walls fall down.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby paraffin man » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:53 am

John,

i do recall all the meetings, lobbying & consultations. I also think there is a bit of credit to be given to the council as for a time they were not going to release funds for this project & they looked as though they were going elsewhere.

All in all i think the toons folk are just really disappointed as we were all hoping we would have been swimming in it by now & our younger kids would also have learnt to swim which is very important.

I also agree that the damage was better to occur now & i use the word better loosely.

I think all the negativity is because of all the delays, damage & all other toon issues at the moment. You & i know that there are people oot there trying to make a differance but others unfortunately dont see this all the time & ii dont mean that in bad way, not everyone sees or heres what is going on & this is when things start being rumoured & the bits get added on.

i just hope they get it fixed soon & there is no more delays. I i dont think the building is an eyesore, the royal hotel is more of an eyesore just now.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:57 pm

Speaking of an architect's dream, I'm told by someone involved in the construction of the pool that the rendering material that fell off is called StoRender and is a very new product. Apparently the architect insisted the builders use it. Once it's in place it is supposed to be very good, lasting the projected life-time of the building which in this case is around 100 yrs.

I'm in two minds as to whether the building itself is an eye-sore. It's certainly better than a lot of cast-concrete buildings I've seen but then it also falls far short of some others. Maybe we need to wait till it's finished before passing judgement?

I suppose 'Ugly Swimming Pool' is still better than 'No Swimming Pool'.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Aqualibrium

Postby Dunc » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:24 pm

Well to be honest it certainly looks a bit sad at the moment.Anyone seeing it for the first time might think its in the process of being demolished!! Thats I suppose a bit unfair thou..
When I saw the plans it did look ok with if I remember all the tree,s round it.Dont know if you can plant mature tree,s.Perhaps the trees were when it was completed and trees were 25 years old !!
If this adhesive lasts 100 years how come it was only on the market recently eg how do they know it lasts that long..

I was wondering if they had built it the wrong way round and all the windows should face the harbour instead of Tescos.However we will have to give it a chance but it certainly looks way out of place ..it just looks too big and too high.

Judge again in 100 years!!! :roll:

Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:08 am

The location is a bit iffy, being right on the lochside, so yes it will stand out like a sore thumb. I never saw the old baths, of course.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues