Aqualibrium

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:42 pm

aye pretty sure the old pool was closed because of the asbestos as that is what i was told at the time and i was at the pool quite alot, the level of the water table didnt help though as when it was high the boiler room flooded with water
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby TYM » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:19 am

I agree with Working Boot that £7 million would have been better spent on a Sports Hall, an all-weather outdoor surface, Squash Courts and maybe a Bowling Alley. In defence of the current project, I understand that the way it was presented to our elected representatives was that in order to attract the necessary EEC funding, this was how it had to be and it was a case of accept this or maybe get nothing at all.

My big fear is ongoing revenue funding. I do not believe we have the population to bring sufficient money in to keep Aquilibrium anywhere close to a break-even situation and therefore two or three years down the line we will be told that the Council can no longer afford to keep it going. The pressure will then be on to have some form of local consortium run it, like Oban, but unlike Oban, I do not believe that we have the business community to do so.
TYM
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Swimming Pool

Postby Frosty » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi TYM
I'm also afraid that the buisiness community in Campbeltown would not be able to maintain the building , and I do agree that the Council have not carried out enough reserch on the annual costs of running such a project in a place so far from technical assistance as The Wee Toon is .
I t seems to be that the £7Million was spent to ensure a maximum grant not supply the correct facilities that the Wee Toon needed .
Cheers
Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hoots the scoop » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:57 pm

Poor thing isnae even feenished yet.... :cry:
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby take_a_pop » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:16 pm

While i was out for a wee stroll today, taking in the sights, as one my age, tends to do, i thought my luck had changed. There, lying in the gutter, near the cross, just outside the Aqualibrium, was a brand new £50 note. Well, you know the pension, is not much to live on, so i was excited, and my auld heart was beating faster than fast. Was i not brought back down to earth with a bang, when i noticed it was not real, infact it was not even one of those fakes thats circulating, it was a monopoly note. Well all my worries for Christmas came flooding back, just as quick as they had left me seconds before. :( :( Never mind, heaven holds all our rewards. The only problem is getting in there.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DMS Graphics » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:19 pm

I was wondering where I dropped that :D
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby howlsatthemoon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Not a good start for the new swimming pool I see a part of the cladding has been blown off by the wind
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby doogs8 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:58 pm

it's naw really a suprise though

£7M?? :oops:
doogs8
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Kintyre Lad » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:13 pm

Yes - £7 million pounds and it hasn't even survived the first bit of winter - hardly been windy has it???

I have yet to hear from anyone working on this project that Kintyre will have a facility worth the money being spent on it.....

Impressive building but not much in it....
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:24 pm

Noticed that on the way home tonight.... :oops: :oops:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

New Swimming Pool

Postby Frosty » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:04 pm

Seems that the designers forgot to think about the strong winds blowing up the Loch.
It couldn't be the same lot that didn't consider the volume of rain that falls in Campbeltown?
Well at least the rise in Community Charge will be money well spent , or are the Council now worried that the revenue generated by addmissions to the building will not be nearly enough to balance the books as well as on going repairs due to bad manufacturing and/or poor workmanship .
Thier last Big Project with Scottish Water is certainly not great Evidence as to how involved the Council get in studying building work ETC
An Even More Worried
Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby hoots the scoop » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 pm

Seriously hoot is the scoop with this?

Passed the building this morning and the 2/3 has now blown off!!! :shock:

There hasn't been trong winds as such!!!! :shock:

Damm disgrace....
hoots the scoop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby oorly gourlay » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:43 pm

I hate to say it, but
After the fiasco in Edinburgh you would have thought that someone would have learned a lesson about grand designs.

oorly
Over land and sea!
oorly gourlay
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:36 pm

Was over this afternoon - can now see the new bit which has fell off too!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby take_a_pop » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:22 pm

Poor,poor, workmanship, lets be honest about this, this has not even come close to the high windy conditions, that we can get. This is very dissapointing to see, and after such a build up of expectations. Just goes to show, that behind the mask which covers the face, there may well be,another building monster lurking. Is this the begining of another catologue of disasters, that appear to be happening more frequently.
Lets hope not.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues