Road Closure at Minard soon - anyone...

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Iona » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:51 am

GarySutherland wrote:I suppose the counter-argument is that we choose to live here, and so have to accept this as part of the deal. Certainly to me Kintyre feels more isolated and remote that when I lived on the Isle of Mull.

Gary

Gary - with all due respect that is a very poor argument and one that would not sit well, I am sure, with the people of Kintyre! :shock:
Iona
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:03 pm

I don't deny it but it's just the sort of thing you can expect to hear from those people who have control of the purse strings when it comes to road building and improvements to transport infrastructure.

There simply aren't enough of us down here to make it worth their while, and too few voters to make any kind of significant dent in the political landscape.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kintyre Lad » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:22 pm

Iona wrote:
GarySutherland wrote:I suppose the counter-argument is that we choose to live here, and so have to accept this as part of the deal. Certainly to me Kintyre feels more isolated and remote that when I lived on the Isle of Mull.

Gary

Gary - with all due respect that is a very poor argument and one that would not sit well, I am sure, with the people of Kintyre! :shock:

Here, here.

that we choose to live here

Some of us have the good fortune, Gary, of actually being from Kintyre so we didn't choose. :wink:

The point is there was very little consultation.

PS - I cannot believe you think Kintyre is more remote than Mull - although in someways I would agree we don't have to stop and get a boat etc :shock:
Kintyre Lad
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby GarySutherland » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:52 pm

Random chance, you mean? :wink: You do choose to continue living here though.

Despite the necessity of a (short) ferry crossing, once you're on the mainland Oban and Fort William are nearby, and even Glasgow is relatively easy to get.

I wasn't really thinking about personal access though, more the difficulty of getting goods and services down to the bottom of Kintyre.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bubbly jock » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:19 pm

On you go gary keep digging the hole you've got yerself intae. I'll lend you the spade or even wan of my diggers.

You came here of your own accord and I haven't heard any news about the road being blown up so the way is clear if you feel like going.

I don't apologise to you or any other immigrant for my birthplace and it will be a sad day when we have to explain why we are still here to anyone.

I've seen them come and seen them go. They love the place and then can't wait to change it after they arrive.

I listened to you the last night in the pub about how you would like to meet all these annonymous posters face to face, well gary I've got news for you, you have met me quite often and no doubt will again.

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby GarySutherland » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:27 am

Maybe its the incomers curse to be misunderstood?

If anyone read my comments as being negative towards Kintyre then I can assure them that they weren't meant that way. Certain contributers do seem to deliberately want to read them as such, however.

Do you honestly think that if I didn't like living on Kintyre that I'd stay here? I still own a house down in England that I could easily move back to if I so wanted but I've made a conscious decision to live, work, and raise my family here and I'm enjoying it.

Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby LO » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:44 am

GarySutherland wrote:I've made a conscious decision to live, work, and raise my family here and I'm enjoying it. Gary

Good for you Gary - well said.

It depends on whether you adopt the glass half empty or half full approach but I like to counter the "miles from nowhere" argument by saying that we are approximately 1 hr 20 minutes from Heathrow. That fair turns it all on its head. For example I know that there was a guy here during the week who was flying from Malta to Campbeltown return. Two flights obviously but there aren't many places in Scotland outwith the big cities where you can even begin to think that way. All we need now is a low cost airline to spot the potential.

Ah well, we can only dream!

Les
LO
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Curse

Postby Bochan Mor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:00 am

GarySutherland wrote:Maybe its the incomers curse to be misunderstood?

Gary

Well Gary, I'm not sure that I agree wholeheartedly with you on that one. I think most of the indigenous people fully understand the incomers, but the reverse isn't always true.

The people who are born & bred in Kintyre, or any other rural location in Britain for that matter, and choose to remain there, stay because they are happy with what they have inherited from there forebearers. They may not wish to see change in their lifetime, although change is inevitable. Even us old Bochans have to admit that certain additions to the gene pool are more than welcome and some would say long overdue. Even when you look around the 'indigenous' population of the village, there are very few couples made up of 100% Carradale stock.

A high proportion of couples came together through holiday romances. It used to be that they would be found dancing naked with the covens on the golf course or up the Glen, but with witchcraft ousted from the village in the 1970s, most graduated to downing copious amounts of mind bending firewater & dancing with the devil in the Village Hall instead.

From there, it was usually back to the summer houses, where the young guns would pick from the willing harem. A little known fact is that Speed Dating was actually invented in the village. Up to six couples would share a shebeen, and every hour or so, the females would move one place anti-clockwise around the room. Eventually and one by one, the young crofters would find their soul mates and drop out of the circle. Manys a time, one of the crofters would want the circle to turn clockwise on the realisation that the grass wasn't always greener. This usually ended in fisticuffs and the start of family & neighbourly feuds.

GarySutherland wrote:Do you honestly think that if I didn't like living on Kintyre that I'd stay here? I still own a house down in England that I could easily move back to if I so wanted but I've made a conscious decision to live, work, and raise my family here and I'm enjoying it.

Gary

No Gary, raising a family in the village is to be lauded, as it contributes in many ways to the viability of the local services. However, there is more than an element of truth in what bubbly said about incomers loving a place, but being hellbent on changing it (I'm not even hinting for one minute that this applies to you). Unfortunately for yourself and any other new arrivals in the village, we have been subjected over the years to some fairly unsavoury characters who retired from deep South and tried to force their will on all and sundry, leaving a bitter and unforgetable taste. One couple in particular, who will remain nameless, but resided along the shore road, caused mayhem, attempting to block rights of way, denying access to the foreshore, causing obstructions in the harbour and never even a hint of remorse. They and their vicious dog, seemed to derive great pleasure from confrontation and attempted domination of the locals. However, they learned the hard way that their was a limit to what the locals would find acceptable.

Anyway, I apologise for my digression: if it was that good in Little England, we'd all be away down there ourselves.........mind you, if it was that good here, why have so many fled?
Bochan Mor (Son of Bochan Morar)

Copyright: Bochan Mor & less of his Cohorts at the Monument
Bochan Mor
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:24 am

Just to let you know the work has finished and the road is open again!! :lol:

Thank Christ - wasn't looking forward to an extra two hours on to the journey after the big game tonight! :wink:
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:55 am

Hoot big game's that then Davie? :wink:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:36 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:Hoot big game's that then Davie? :wink:

You're a wee trouble maker so you are. You jeest canna help yershelf. Away and worm the setters and oversee the unblocking of yer drains that'll keep you oot oh mischief :evil:

Come ahint, way back

bubbly
bubbly jock

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:54 pm

You have me puzzled with that one Bubbly Jock.......

I have no idea what you mean by the words above.......did you misundertstand my posting? did you deliberately misunderstand?

I was only, in a light hearted and friendly manner, giving Davie a chance to tell us about his big game for the Tartan Army tonight at Love St.
A great honour for him and Dougie Renton.

Maybe if I keep reading and learning form yersel' I might, in the long run, be able to drag my postings up to your level of wit, charm, intelligence and, of course, cynicism.
On here, as in real life, I try to be friendly, cheerful and easy going yet every time I post you are down on me like a ton of bricks.......

As I say, I am puzzled........not bothered but puzzled.........

I'm sure you will let me know hoot it's a' aboot.

It takes all kinds..........sure yi know!!
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bubbly jock » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:47 pm

Och gen I was only joshing with ye and I don't think I could teach yourshelf much.. I know you read a lot and could probably give me a run for my money. Lighten up

Just as a matter of interest when have I ever came doon on ye like a ton....................................oh noo I see. Your a wee bit delicate when I mention your prowess on the Fitba, sorry sports programme. Och well I'll naw speak aboot yer commentary again **

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your jeest having a bad day.

Did you sprain your ankle this morning or fall in a ditch these things happen to the best of roadrunners as you'll know yersel.

Noo that I know yer a delicate wee soul I'll leave you alone.

Mind you I'll naw fall oot wae yer sister. She's too good at the baking

bubbly

**naw this week anyway
bubbly jock

Postby bubbly jock » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:47 pm

PS. Don't be puzzled It just gives ye wrinkles

bubbles
bubbly jock

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 pm

Aye well thats all well and good Bubbly Jock but I still dont know hoot yi wurr on aboot at 12.36 today!

Sensitive? delicate? who me? hope naw....dont hink so.....maybe though!
Nawww .............. :wink:

And I'll stop puzzling right enough......want to keep my youthful good looks :roll:
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local News and Issues