Flooding

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 pm

This forum may be the best thing that happened to your area. Seems that the powers that be can pretend problems don't exist when they don't think anyone is looking, but this not only brings these things to light in your own area, but also for others who love the area, are from the area and living away and/or are potential visitors to the area. I hope for the sake of your beautiful town that the powers that be respond quickly and seriously to this problem.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Davie, I put a link in to this message thread from our site too.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Nancie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:52 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:This forum may be the best thing that happened to your area. Seems that the powers that be can pretend problems don't exist when they don't think anyone is looking, but this not only brings these things to light in your own area, but also for others who love the area, are from the area and living away and/or are potential visitors to the area. I hope for the sake of your beautiful town that the powers that be respond quickly and seriously to this problem.

That will be the day.
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:01 pm

To be honest I have mixed feelings about posting this on here about our flooding problems - same with the Kinloch Green one.

Is it a good idea to show people outside Kintyre our problems? Will anyone re-act any quicker? Does it send out the correct signal to prospective businesses?

I think the comments about the Councillors are unfair - they don't run the various departments responsible. However, what they sometimes don't realise is the 'clout' they really have. :wink:
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Nancie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:14 pm

Make up your mind David. The forum is either for airing problems or it isn't. You can't have it both ways. Some of us have been fighting the flooding and sewerage issues for years. The system was commissioned in 2001 and CCC's involvement stretches before that to the original problems on Low Askomil.

The problems this week were caused by extreme rainfall. A 'quick reaction' group composed of police, A&B council and Scottish Water was set up around July 2003 to react quickly to these conditions. They were supposed to monitor the Dalaruan Burn to make sure it was not choked for want of a better word and also to make sure that roads were closed to stop flooding of shops etc by cars driving too fast. This week the people in Drumore had yet again the flood water from Dalaruan at their doorsteps and the shops in Longrow were flooded because McCallum Street and Lowland Church were not closed.

We also need to find out if there was a problem at the pumping station.

The flooding and sewerage problems in Campbeltown have already been aired in the national press and also on Radio Scotland 18 months ago when Lesley Riddoch visited the town.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:28 pm

Make up your mind David. The forum is either for airing problems or it isn't. You can't have it both ways. Some of us have been fighting the flooding and sewerage issues for years. The system was commissioned in 2001 and CCC's involvement stretches before that to the original problems on Low Askomil

I'll read that the way I should rather than taking it the way I could have Nancie!

Its easy to be mis-interpreted in forums and e-mail etc and all I was meaning was to raise discussion on whether there are people out there who actually think thisisn't the place to highlight matters....someone did say this to me today...so was food for thought....they mentioned the fact that people perhaps thinking of moving business here may read this thread and decide against it!! :shock:

PS - This has been set-up as a Community Forum so its not just my say so! :wink: 8)
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Scoop For Hoots » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:33 pm

Nancie,

I don't know what the "quick" reaction group are doing. I telephoned directly to the police station at Castlehill asking for Bolgam Street to be closed to stop speeding motorists flooding Bolgam Street property. Nothing happened. I phoned again. Zilch. Worse than that I drove up to the Police Station back yard and rather than help load a sign, the wee upstart of a jobsworth wanted to near arrest me. The police didn't close Bolgam Street. I had to take the sign down, and that didn't stop some dozy ex-councillor from driving too fast through foot deep flood water in Bolgam Street and flood premises that would otherwise have escaped harm.

The Chief Inspector needs to look seriously at his professional position if this happens again. In fact such slowness mustn't happen again. Goodness knows we all watch the weather now, and can almost predict 24 hours before hand when a flood is due, so we don't even need to be supersonic quick. Barely addequate would do, but Castlehill can't even manage that..

As for Argyll & Bute Council. The head of the Roads Department needs to get his "quick" act together. I posted this point on the alternate thread, and make no apology for repeating it.

The stench of excrement in Longrow the day after the latest flood receeded is a disgrace. Did A&B Roads chief do anything about disinfecting the streets. No.

Maybe two days later. No checked today, it smells worse.

Will it take some two year old toddler to contract cholera before the highly paid head of Roads decides it is worth disinfecting the inch deep excrement that pervades the pavements in Longrow ?

Nancie, I'm not having a go at you, but mentioning it in this thread because I know that you are one of the few that care and actually get things done. Maybe you could have a quiet word with the Chief Inspector and head of Roads Dept about there failures on 31st October 2005.
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person having the enterprise to do it.
Scoop For Hoots
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Nancie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:57 pm

David

Know what you mean - did not mean you to take it personally. The forum is good for raising these important issues but it needs to go further than just raising them. Don't you think the people at the Berthing Company thought long and hard before coming out publicly? This is their livelihood and that of the hoteliers and traders around town who stand to lose if the town gets a name for sewerage problems but they stood up to be counted in the battle against Scottish Water. Many other communities in Argyll and Bute and further afield with sewage problems have been highlighted in the local and national press.

The council has a smaller part to play in the sewerage problems as they have a responsibility for the surface water which enters the system. This means that they have to sort out the burns like Dalaruan.

This issue will be brought up under Police Business at CCC meeting next Monday 14 November. It would be good to see some of the public there.

Nancie
Nancie
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby take_a_pop » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:34 am

Its not a nice topic to read, the fact that high rainfall floods your town and brings a mixture of dirty water and raw sewage onto your streets. Perhaps you have a valid point David p, it could deter potencial tourist visiting your town, if there is a real danger of disseases being caught, its not the best advertising is it.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Scoop For Hoots » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:50 am

Davie and Pop have a good point.

One thing might be worth raising is that there are those very directly affected - water coming into their premises - that have taken a pragmatic, almost defiantly stubborn view.

That is, to remain open and carrying on as stoically as possible.

Some premises have had substantial modifications, such as concreting, damp-proofing and raising the height of their ground floors to simply rise above the current (temporary) flood issue. Some have had to move from buildings, with the old premises in line for the floor raising treatment.

In essence, flooding isn't the best of topics to raise, especially from a tourism, and business investment point of view. But there is little point in trying to catch a wet cat that is well and trully out of the bag.

Better to make the very best of a bad lot, and we can start by getting to grips with the way the current "Fast Action Resonse Team" are working, and strive to improve what should really be a well worked drill.

Top of the list is to have a disinfectant team ready to do the right thing each time this happens.

Next is for the police to close the problem roads efficiently. Speeding motorists really are doing A LOT OF DAMAGE that is totally avoidable.

There is no doubt that Davies forum is read wide and far, and is a force for good, with the likes of Scottish Water, the council, the police etc., taking soundings and doing something to help sort out this mess.

Last but not least, lest we all forget, this issue is supposed to be temporary, with several million pounds being spent fixing it in the near future.
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person having the enterprise to do it.
Scoop For Hoots
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Flooding

Postby Frosty » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:14 am

The flooding has gone on for too long .
This is the ideal place to bring our views out in the open.
Not only the flooding issue , but it seems the local Police and the so callled quick reaction group have thier own ideas on what to do when it rains .
What did the Police do instead of the obviouse correct decision Scoop ?
Are they then responsible for allowing the clever Ex- councillor (Sounds like someone with no brain ) to cause damage by his stupidity ,accidents do not happen there is always a reason and someones actions will have made that reason so they are to blame .
The on going pollution etc must be cleaned up , this not Rocket Science and i'm sure Campbeltown Council have the rescourses allocated to carry out the task ,It cannot be the first time so it should be automatic by now.
With Great Concern
Frosty
Last edited by Frosty on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Working Boot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:18 am

Scoop For Hoots wrote:The Chief Inspector needs to look seriously at his professional position if this happens again. In fact such slowness mustn't happen again. Goodness knows we all watch the weather now, and can almost predict 24 hours before hand when a flood is due, so we don't even need to be supersonic quick. Barely addequate would do, but Castlehill can't even manage that..

As for Argyll & Bute Council. The head of the Roads Department needs to get his "quick" act together. I posted this point on the alternate thread, and make no apology for repeating it.

Poop for Scoots - Strange how you have mentioned a few times on this forum (I have been reading all the historical ones over the last few days!) that people should add their name to their postings yet you said the above without adding your name!

PS - However, it doesn't take a genuis to know who you are! :wink:

PPS - Good posting mind you! :wink:
Working Boot
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby petewick » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:55 am

Perhaps the various quick reaction groups tasked with combating the flooding should amalgamate and call themselves the
Flood Action Response Team.

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DMS Graphics » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:56 pm

petewick wrote:Perhaps the various quick reaction groups tasked with combating the flooding should amalgamate and call themselves the
Flood Action Response Team.

Petewick

Might help them follow through with their actions.
DMS Graphics
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Scoop For Hoots » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:54 pm

Working Boot wrote:- "Strange how you have mentioned a few times on this forum (I have been reading all the historical ones over the last few days!) that people should add their name to their postings yet you said the above without adding your name!

PS - However, it doesn't take a genuis to know who you are! :wink:

PPS - Good posting mind you! :wink:[/quote]"

====================================

Hi Working Boot,

I have no problem putting my name to the visitkintyre ID. Lost my password for the earlier one otherwise I would continue with "Enough".

Russ McLean

Now how about your ID :@)
Scoop For Hoots
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues