Surfer rescued from stormy seas

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Re: Surfer rescued from stormy seas

Postby Govangirl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:57 pm

knock wrote:I read today that twins were delivered in stornoway . If that had happened on saturday night and the only sea king available was stuck in machrihanish, there would have been a delay in getting the medics to the twins.

I never made that connection when I saw it on the news Knock but you're absolutely right.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ags » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Obviously I didn't make my point clear enough in my rant DuncR - helicopter and lifeboat crews, as well as the coastguard on land all out doing their "job" in severe weather because of one persons stupidity!
The husband of a family friend was with the lifeboat crew who were called out and I couldn't even begin to write how she felt and what she said about her husband heading out to sea in that weather!! I believe it was force 11 which is just one step down from hurricane speed!!!!
I hope some of the rescue crew managed to give him their opinion of what a stupid irresponsible individual he is - probably not - I'm sure they were much more professional than I would have been in the circumstances :twisted:
Last edited by Ags on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Jock Strap » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:57 pm

He won't be the first and won't be the last to make a mistake and lets hope he has learned his lesson. Act of stupidity but how many times have we heard of incidents with surfers - I am sure it has raised people's awareness on how unsafe or stupid it can be to dice with the weather.

PS - Landroger Rover - The "Local Authority" doesn't own the sea so it isn't there responsibility to tell people what to do plus there are too many beaches. Good point but impossible to implement.

Surf the waves, dudes, surf the waves.......... Image
Jock Strap
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 am

I'm actually quite surprised that there have not been more incidents in recent years due to the increaced number of water users. With any luck the media attention this has had will make people more aware of the dangers of the sea.
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:24 am

Maniacs, they are, putting all these other people's lives at risk ;)

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SBpete » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:13 pm

The surfer who was rescued by the helicopter has asked me to post this onto the forum after hearing many of the rumours going round the town.

"I personally thanked and apologised to everyone involved in the helicopter rescue because i understood the seriousness of what happened. At 3pm when i got into difficulty when the conditions changed very quickly for the worse but it was already to late. I didn't choose to be out the force 11 winds but have obviously learned a very scary lesson. I've never been so happy to see a helicopter and am incredibly greatfull to all concerned in the rescue for saving my life."
SBpete
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby maxmix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:52 pm

You would have thought these guys would check the weather 100% before venturing out in these conditions...

I've seen them out in lot worse weather.... Lucky to be alive now I I know weather conditions can change quickly, but it must have been one of the worse days og the year :<>

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ags » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

It's great that he is fine Pete and that he realises he is a lucky guy but I have to agree with Maxmix. The weather forecast all week had been predicting how awful it would be. In my humble opinion as a resident of Machrihanish they shouldn't have been in the water after lunchtime that day.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SBpete » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:40 pm

Does the same apply to fishing boats, merchant navy ships, hill walkers, skiiers and snowboarders and even the current groups of drivers across the country caught driving in the snow? Did they not watch the forecast! :wink: The weather catches people out, whether it is in-experience, lack of knowledge on the part of the individual or the in-ability to read a forecast.
I think that Ross made a good point when he said he was surprised that something like this hasn't happened before. My argument would be that with the increasing number of surfers/windsurfers/kitesurfers it is maybe time for the local council to look at providing some kind of rescue cover (a good job for someone local). It would have taken a lifeguard 5 minutes to rescue the surfer with a jetski, saving the expense and risk to the helicopter and her crew.

The discussion regarding charging people to be rescued is ongoing in many places. I know that the lifeboat do not claim salvage for any boats they rescue, as there is an argument that this could cause sailors/fishermen/merchant ships to delay calling the coast-guard. Any delay could be critical and the R.N.L.I would rather be called out and find their services not required.
This topic is also being discussed by mountain authorities who have to rescue hill-walkers, climbers, skiers and snowboarders from back countries all over the world.
I don't think we want to discourage water users from coming down here. I think Kintyre can offer a safe environment for people to test their ability and find their limits

Just my view.
SBpete
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ags » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:59 pm

I am not disputing anything you say there! Of course we don't want to put people off coming to the area! Its great watching surfers, wind surfers and the guys with the kites in the water at Machrihanish! It's just a question of safety!! I felt sick to the pit of my stomach watching what was going on that day and am merely voicing "my" opinion that they shouldn't have been in the water in such horrendous conditions.
Ags
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 pm

SBpete wrote:fishing boats, merchant navy ships, drivers across the country caught driving in the snow?

How can you compare these people making a living to idiots sitting on pieces of wood or whatever it's made off cavorting in their spare time off the coast when there is an obvious danger. Obviously the rescue services will come to their aid eventually when they are in distress but no surfer should have put the rescue service in that position that day. The surfer should be fined for his stupidity no matter how sorry he says he is.

SBpete wrote:with the increasing number of surfers/windsurfers/kitesurfers it is maybe time for the local council to look at providing some kind of rescue cover (a good job for someone local

A & B council wasting money on providing some kind of rescue cover for something like surfing would be crazy.

Maybe the surfers themselves could fund this if they feel it the need. I cannot see any council putting this on the essential service list. It certainly should not come out the public purse.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby maxmix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:51 pm

History wrote:
SBpete wrote:fishing boats, merchant navy ships, drivers across the country caught driving in the snow?

How can you compare these people making a living to idiots sitting on pieces of wood or whatever it's made off cavorting in their spare time off the coast when there is an obvious danger. Obviously the rescue services will come to their aid eventually when they are in distress but no surfer should have put the rescue service in that position that day. The surfer should be fined for his stupidity no matter how sorry he says he is.

SBpete wrote:with the increasing number of surfers/windsurfers/kitesurfers it is maybe time for the local council to look at providing some kind of rescue cover (a good job for someone local

A & B council wasting money on providing some kind of rescue cover for something like surfing would be crazy.

Maybe the surfers themselves could fund this if they feel it the need. I cannot see any council putting this on the essential service list. It certainly should not come out the public purse.

Quite correct....

maxmix
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby SBpete » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:20 pm

I wasn't having a go at any of these professions or anyone elses views. My dad had a 55ft trawler for 20 years, although having said that he never needed to be rescued. I was only showing that anyone, no matter how experienced, can be caught out by weather and need to be rescued. It doesn't matter whether that is on a fishing boat, a recreational sailing yacht or a surfboard.
Ultimately, the money for most rescues (excluding R.N.L.I) is paid for by public purse. Perhaps this money would be better spent on creating a safe beach, rather that on the final rescue and I thought that this might be a good opportunity to start a discussion on this.

Surfers, including families coming down in summer, bring good business to Kintyre and I feel that we are reaching a point when the provision of safety cover has to at least be looked at. It has happened in Cornwall, Wales and the west coast of Ireland (part funded by the R.N.L.I). It would be a great attraction for Kintyre to be one of the first places in Scotland to offer a safe surfing area, and I'm sure would bring many more families down here. I know of at least a couple of occasions where children swimming have been caught out by less severe changes of weather and have been rescued by surfers.
SBpete
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby gizmo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40 pm

On reflecton I think SBpete is right, it cant do any harm to at least look at it and do some costings. It must have cost a fortune to rescue the surfer,maybe it wouldnt have been needed if there was a safety guard there. It could even attract surfers etc to the area. Although I still think that surfer needs a good kick up the kyber. :?
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby maxmix » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 pm

SBpete wrote:I know of at least a couple of occasions where children swimming have been caught out by less severe changes of weather and have been rescued by surfers.

No one would dispute that.... But if you had been out at Machrihanish on the said day you would see a small difference !

It was once of the worst days of the year.... I was out at my Dad's (They had to hold the large window that looks out to sea for hours) (The Old PO)...

They only have had to do that a few times over the last 14 years :o

maxmix

You have to look at the differences here lol
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues