Cathy Kerr

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Cathy Kerr

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 am

Not something I normally post on the forum but many locals and those afar will be saddened to hear the news that Cathy Kerr, the former Grammar School Arts teacher, passed away earlier this week after a brave fight with illness.

Had the warmest smiles did Cathy and will be sadly missed by everyone.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 am

Thanks for posting that Davie, hadn't heard that sad news. Cathy was one of the few teachers I had any time for.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:40 am

OMG! I had Ms. Kerr for art, she was always so cool. I didn't even know she was sick!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 am

Thats sad news. I had Mrs Kerr for art and she was great.

She always had a smile and time for a wee chat whenever i met her after leaving school.

Many of her former students will be sad to hear the news.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Cathy Kerr

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:02 pm

Davie P wrote:Not something I normally post on the forum but many locals and those afar will be saddened to hear the news that Cathy Kerr, the former Grammar School Arts teacher, passed away earlier this week after a brave fight with illness.

Had the warmest smiles did Cathy and will be sadly missed by everyone.

A fine talented woman pictured here with her husband John doing one of her best at entertaining the residents, staff, family and friends at Abbeyfield Carradale ( Rabbie Burns day back in 2005). Sadly to be told on Abbeyfield Burns day Monday past of Cathies passing. I was taught also by both John and Cathie at Campbeltown Grammer. A great loss to all.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mrn » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 pm

Sad news indeed, Cathy was one of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. I hope Cathy's family take comfort in knowing how much she was loved and respected in Campbeltown, Kintyre and further afield.

God Bless
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby petewick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:23 pm

I got the phone call on Monday night that Cathy had passed away at 7am that morning.
She was my first lesson in the Grammer, taught us a lot about life, not just art.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:29 pm

As did her husband. Not all his classes were about math!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Hels » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:27 pm

I was really saddened to hear about this. Made me think back to my days in the Grammar when art classes really were the highlight of my week. She had the patience of a saint , a smile and time for us all. Even after leaving school she & John always seemed delighted to chat to former pupils.

One of the few I would class as a true lady and a beautiful person. Sad loss to her family and many others in the town whos life she touched.
Hels
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby DOUBLE A » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:53 am

Sorry to hear about Mrs Kerr passing away, as with most subjects in the Grammer i was terrible at art however Mrs Kerr would always have a look at my creations and would very kindly describe them as "interesting", always giving encourgement to those skilled or not so skilled at art, sad news indeed.
" on the road tae Drumlemman "
DOUBLE A
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Tom B » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:18 am

Very sorry to hear this news too.
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby emay » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi
I have just found this forum and was surprised to see this on here.
Cathy Kerr was my great aunt. Her funeral was Friday and there were lots of people there. She was a very popular much loved lady.
I love the picture of her and John, its lovely. Does anyone have anymore?

Thank you all for your lovely messages. I am sure John would be very touched.
xx
emay
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Annie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:13 am

Both of them were, and still are, much loved and admired!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby lighterman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:26 am

still reeling from the shock of it all. cathy, john and their children rachel and fergus were and remain the dearest of friends. i knew and loved cathy almost a quarter of a century. we ate, drank, played, sang and laughed together on more occasions than i can recall. cathy is the perfect illustration of the principle that the one thing that never dies is love - witness all the people who turned out to remember her. she was the most generous soul and never judgemental, even when i was completely at odds with her view she was kindness itself. cathy kerr was one of few people who changed me fundamentally and made me a better man. she lives in our memories, our hearts, the artworks on my walls and in the way she gave so much of herself to us all. the world is a duller place without her, but an infinitely brighter and richer place because she was here.
to "emay", i have some nice pictures of cathy taken over many years. when i have worked out how to post them i'd like to share them.
lighterman
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:43 am

lighterman wrote:still reeling from the shock of it all. cathy, john and their children rachel and fergus were and remain the dearest of friends. i knew and loved cathy almost a quarter of a century. we ate, drank, played, sang and laughed together on more occasions than i can recall. cathy is the perfect illustration of the principle that the one thing that never dies is love - witness all the people who turned out to remember her. she was the most generous soul and never judgemental, even when i was completely at odds with her view she was kindness itself. cathy kerr was one of few people who changed me fundamentally and made me a better man. she lives in our memories, our hearts, the artworks on my walls and in the way she gave so much of herself to us all. the world is a duller place without her, but an infinitely brighter and richer place because she was here.
to "emay", i have some nice pictures of cathy taken over many years. when i have worked out how to post them i'd like to share them.

Couldn't agree more Lighterman. Was not so sure about posting this on here but Cathy, for me, was one of the most inspirational teachers I had throughout my school years. Her husband John was a wonderful teacher too but unfortunately I wasn't clever enough! However, I wasn't bad at Art and was taught by Cathy over the years right up until 5th year. Truly a wonderful teacher and I can only hope Lorne finds similar teachers throughout his life - I am sure he will.

I received a couple of e-mails too about this thread

From the Rev Gary McIntyre, Stirling

You are right in what you say about Cathy Kerr.

She was a truly lovely lady and she will be very sadly missed.

Frances Hill
I thought your Cathy Kerr mention on forum was just right and very apt

Both John and Cathy always had time to speak on the streets and fortunate to have them as neighbours too.

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend on Friday but I met John on Tuesday evening and he was told about the board. He and the family have been truly touched by the feeling from everyone and would like to thank you all.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local News and Issues