Campbeltown Loch - Natural place for a marina??

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Campbeltown Loch - Natural place for a marina??

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:42 pm

Just flicking through photos there and this one made me think of a conversation I had with a friend sometime ago and how he felt the inner harbour would be the ideal place for a marina.

Any thoughts?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:51 am

If you look at what they have achieved at Tarbert theres no reason that you couldnt have a large marina somewhere in the loch, it must be an ideal location with the shelter
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Campbeltown Loch - Natural place for a marina??

Postby jdcarra » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:21 am

the p wrote:Just flicking through photos there and this one made me think of a conversation I had with a friend sometime ago and how he felt the inner harbour would be the ideal place for a marina.
Any thoughts?

Excellent idea dp, and as ross mentioned, look at Tarbert and all the other marina's within the Clyde.

Wish we had the opportunity up here in the dale :( .

Great ariel pic of the harbour :lol: .
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:29 am

I agree, but you'd need to dredge it a bit first, and pick out all the dead dogs and shopping trollies.

Would be a tremendous asset to the town though.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:42 am

Don't think this is a new Idea. Personally I think it is inevitable, look at ardrossan and troon. They will have to dredge the harbour first though , something which used to be done on a regular occurence. The sad thing about all this is that it's a sign of the times as it would be confimation of the final decline of the local fishing industry. No space for trawlers in a marina! However things change with the times and it would be an asset to the tourist industry.
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:50 am

Think theres enough room in the loch for the fishing boats and a marina located away from the quay
Ross
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:58 am

You'd need to ensure the marina is close enough to the town centre for visiting yachts etc to walk to the hotels, shops, and restaurants though, else you'll put people off using it.

I agree though, there's plenty of room in the loch for both working boats and pleasure boats.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby paraffin man » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:01 pm

Beachcomber wrote:You'd need to ensure the marina is close enough to the town centre for visiting yachts etc to walk to the hotels, shops, and restaurants though, else you'll put people off using it.

I agree though, there's plenty of room in the loch for both working boats and pleasure boats.

Walk to hotels, shops & restaurants????? What shops hotels & restaurants????, i was in the town today, Palm Bistro closed + most of the shops, any local shopkeeper moaning about lack of trade now, i have no sympathy with i am afraid, & as for hotels there is no decent bed spaces anywhere in the town, the first hotel you see from the marina is eh.....closed!

Campbeltown would be a fantastic place for a first class marina, but it would take millions to complete, we would need massive infrastructure changes to cope, look at our new facility, a pool party + a few customers & we very near have ariot on our hands!, what about the floaters in the loch too, who wants to come to that.

Who funds it? i dont think Argyll & Bute will be in a position to do this.
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Return to Local News and Issues