Aqualibrium opening

Forum publicising and discussing local issues and news in general.

Postby witchnettle » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:59 am

yes i too, am keen to see a timetable, of classes/pool opening that will be offered, can anyone help? x
flag flax fodder and frig
witchnettle
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby amron » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:38 am

I am going today they surely have a list or timetable I shall post it here once I have been. :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby david133 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:04 am

asa you are never oot yer beed before 7 i know you work for me
david133
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby hippychick » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:13 am

witchnettle wrote:yes i too, am keen to see a timetable, of classes/pool opening that will be offered, can anyone help? x

i havnt seen a price list yet either. ne1 know what its goin to cost for a swim?
hippychick
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:35 am

I went along yesterday - there are plenty of leaflets etc and plenty of helpful staff too!

Opening Times are

Monday - 07.00 - 21.00
Tuesday - 10.00 - 21.00
Wednesday - 07.00 - 21.00
Thursday - 10.00 - 21.00
Friday - 07.00 - 21.00
Saturday - 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 10.00 - 17.00

So plenty of time to use it!

Casual Use Prices are

Adult Swim - £2.80
Junior - Student - £1.40
Off Peak £1.60

Peak Times are 07.00 - 09.00 and 17.00 - 21.00, weekdays. Off peak weekdays are 09.00 - 17.00.

It just says weekends - 10.00 - 17.00

I have to say the facilities are first class, and the gym is as good as you will see in terms of the equipment they have.

I briefly spoke to Marius , the Aqualibrium manager yesterday, and he was saying that out of over 500 school kids they interviewed/surveyed 80% of the kids can not swim!! Which is quite worrying for a seaside town location! :shock: As he said himself they have their job cut out themselves before they start!

He has a good team of staff with him there and all to provide services for Kintyre. They are also keen to get feedback on the Aqualibrium. As I mentioned to him, there will be negatives but he was keen to hear these to try and address any issues early on.

SO, lets not let this thread deteriorate into moans and groans about what we have or have not got etc - the current staff have to work with the new facility. Sure, there are things we could have all wished for but unfortunately these were the decisions agreed a few years ago.

Really looking forward to using it!
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Willie D » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:41 am

http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/l ... 141326&a=0

Did a 'Google' for 'Aqualibrium' & came across the above link which has loadsa info.

BTW - I honestly thought 'Aqualibrium' was a unique name - there are 18,900 entries!

including a very classy motor yacht which you can charter for a mere $90,000 per week!

http://www.yachtstore.com/boatdetail.aspx?id=120

how do you think this would look sitting out on the loch 8)

Last edited by Willie D on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out'
Willie D
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby amron » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:38 pm

Just back from looking around the Aqualibrium and I was really impressed. :D

Kids are signed up for the fast track swimming scheme which consists of 10 half hour lessons every day for 2 weeks. I think that this is great to build up their confidence. Rather than the 1 lesson a week for 10 weeks. Cost £34.50 per child.
There are 4 sessions a day between 10am and 12pm and 3 two week blocks.
They are hoping to do this in the October holidays as well.
They are also opening a shop with swimwear, goggles, toys etc within the next couple of weeks.

I am glad that the council are addressing the problem of the children not being able to swim as more than 80% are starting at level one.

Looking forward to going :D

thanks Davie for posting the times

Membership prices are
Swimming
adult £200 DD £18.50 per month
Junior £100 DD £9.30
Off peak £120 DD £11.10
Family 2+2 £534 DD £49.50
Family 1+3 £400.20 DD £37.00

Membership including all facilities
Adult £293 DD £30.50 induction + £12.50
concession £211 DD £22 induction +£12.50
Student £211 DD £22 induction + £12.50
Off Peak £198.50 DD £20.70 induction + £12.50
Couple £525 DD £54.60 induction + £12.50
Family 2+2 £615 DD £64.00 Induction £12.50 + £6.50
+ add child 5-16 £105.60 DD £11 Induction + £6.50 [14-16]
Junior membership £105.60 DD £11 induction + £6.50 [14-16]

Combo Prices Gym, Swim and Health suite
Adult £7.40
Junior/concession/student £6.40
OFF PEAK £6.70

Single swim for Family 2+2 £6.50
Family swim 1+3 £5.40

There will also be passes for 20 swims etc I think and adult was £40 roughly and a child £20
There are plenty packages available to suit everybody

Anybody got any pics from inside

Forgot to say the opening day is the 3rd July
Last edited by amron on Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Pricing at the Aqualibrium

Postby daftdog » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:49 pm

I have to say...well done to A&B council on the pricing for the Aqualibrium.. they have done something good there..

I thought they might over price everything, but, they have set realistic prices which will encourage people of all ages to use all the facilities.

I thought prices here in Greenock were reasonable (and they are for what we have the choice of using) but the prices down there are great..

The only thing that is better here is that all school children swim for free. A&B dont have the funding for that, but having set the price for a child swim at £1.40 and family swims at £6.50 and £5.40 i'm sure the pool will be a busy place over the summer months and beyond..

Well done
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Tom B » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:11 am

Had a good look round the Aqualibrium at the weekend, and I have to say the pool is very impressive. Looking forward to getting in for a swim next time we're down.

Good luck to Marius and the team getting all those kids swimming!
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:38 am

the p wrote:I went along yesterday - there are plenty of leaflets etc and plenty of helpful staff too!

I briefly spoke to Marius , the Aqualibrium manager yesterday, and he was saying that out of over 500 school kids they interviewed/surveyed 80% of the kids can not swim!! Which is quite worrying for a seaside town location! :shock: As he said himself they have their job cut out themselves before they start!

Sad when you consider at one time Campbeltown Schools were the number one in the country 100% swimmers. Thanks to Sandy McPherson & staff.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kinloch Road Resident » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:22 pm

I was most impressed with my visit to the Aqualibrium yesterday. The kids are very fortunate to have such facilities and I do hope they use them and respect the hard work that has went into getting this building.

A couple of minor points if feedback is being sought;

The stairs leading upto the entrance are a very nice feature but on the way out they seem to blend in and one could be mistaken that there is in fact no steps. You'll see what I mean the next time you leave the building. People like me, who are older, could quite easily take a tumble. In fact one women did!

The lead up to the Aqualibrium will be lovely once all the plants flower etc and the statue of Sir William McKinnon is particuarly nice however, the grass parts are a bit shawdy in areas to say the least. I would have thought the whole area would have been returfed?

Internally, the building is beautiful but my only complaint is the Library. The bare walls are horrible and the open duct ceilings worse! Time for the painters! Lovely library however, and I am sure more people will use it now!

The view from the Cafe is stunning except for the pumping station!!!!

All in all, super facility and looking forward to my early morning dips once again!
Kinloch Road Resident
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby WC1 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Couldn't agree more KRR. The library looks just a tad "industrial" and more than a wee bit dismal. Shame, because the rest of the place is very impressive.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:57 pm

WC1 wrote:Couldn't agree more KRR. The library looks just a tad "industrial" and more than a wee bit dismal. Shame, because the rest of the place is very impressive.

In San Antonio, they converted the Lone Star brewery into an art museum. They have kept a lot of the same piping etc, and open space and made it a very interesting place. Sounds like some modern art and splashes of color might be just the thing.

http://www.c7a.com/Portfolio/museums/sa ... io_art.asp
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Aqualibrium

Postby SmithD » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:06 am

We went on Sunday - a lot quieter.

The facility is good and can't wait for it to open. I just hope that the creche is up and running as I would like to go swimming myself in the mornings, but I've a child under one. Hopefully someone will take it on and cater for most ages as it's very difficult to get childcare for under a year.

My other daughter is starting lessons, which is great as she was only months old when it closed, hence she can't swim. The day they went in to be assess she conquered a big fear and put her head under the water for the first time. I can hardly get her to put her head under the shower!!! :evil:

I have to say the decor is ok, but not sure of the whole concrete look though, looks a bit unfinished!
URL=http://www.glitterkiss.com]Image[/URL]
SmithD
Active Poster
Active Poster

Aqualibrium Opening

Postby Ship called Dignity » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Pictures can be found at http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/newsroom/ ... allery?a=0

First Minister, Jack McConnell flew into Campbeltown today (Friday 16 June) to perform the official opening ceremony for Aqualibrium, the town’s brand new state of the art swimming pool, library and leisure complex.

Over 100 people, many of them from Campbeltown and representing user groups, gathered to watch Mr McConnell and local schoolgirl, Caitlin Ronald, cut the ribbon and declare the building open.
Caitlin won the “Name the Building” competition when she dreamed up the name “Aqualibrium”.

The First Minister said, “This is a fantastic new facility. It is exactly what a community like this needs. It will help encourage people to stay in the area, and will help everybody in the local community to be fitter and healthier. It will also attract visitors to the area.”

He continued, “It is top quality. I am very impressed that those who have designed and funded it have gone for the very best and not gone for second best, and it is very important for this area to a signal that this is the level of ambition.”

Councillor Allan Macaskill, Leader of Argyll and Bute Council, the main funders who commissioned and will operate the building, said, “This is a red letter day for Campbeltown.

“This building is something special. Not only does it look good with its distinctive design, but also the facilities are first class. The pool and the fitness suite, the library and the bistro are set to become a central focus for community life in Campeltown as well as offering new opportunities for adopting a healthy, balanced lifestyle.

“Visitors too will benefit, whether they want to take part in activities or just enjoy a cup of coffee and good food in pleasant surroundings and with a beautiful view” .

The £7.5 million building replaces the old Campbeltown pool which closed over six years ago for safety reasons. It houses Campeltown library, gym, meeting rooms and the Mussel Ebb bistro. Aqualibrium will be fully open to the public during the first week of July, following a series of open days when people can explore the facilities, book induction sessions and join up as members.

The project was funded by a partnership of Argyll and Bute Council, sportscotland, ERDF, the Big Lottery and Argyll and the Islands Enterprise. Its energy efficient woodchip burning boiler system was supported by the Highlands and Islands Community Energy Company.

Julia Bracewell OBE, Chair of sportscotland said: “We are delighted to have supported the Campbeltown Community Project with an award of £700,000 from sportscotland’s Sports Facilities Programme. The new pool and gym is much needed facility in the area and will see the development of new clubs and groups, as well as increasing the sporting opportunities available to the people of Campbeltown and the surrounding areas.

“In addition this award also demonstrates our commitment to enhancing sporting opportunities for local communities, by providing them with quality, accessible and well-designed facilities encouraging them to participate, develop and excel in sport.”

Big Lottery Fund Scotland Director Dharmendra Kanani said: "We are proud to
have worked in partnership with Argyll and Bute Council to create this innovative and exciting new facility. Aqualibrium is a wonderful example of what can be achieved when communities work together to create inclusive facilities for everyone to enjoy. I am sure that the centre will bring many healthy benefits to local people while helping them to developing their natural talents and abilities."

Ken Abernethy from Argyll and the Islands Enterprise added, “Aqualibrium is a magnificent asset for the area and is another important milestone in the emergence of a renewed and succeeding Kintyre.”
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local News and Issues